Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → This waterfall is making a fool out of me.
This waterfall is making a fool out of me.
2006-03-01, 2:33 PM #1
For the life of me, I can't seem to get this waterfall I'm trying to add to a level to work in Jedi Knight. Massassi.net had a tutorial and two cogs regarding rivers, which I'm trying to use - I assume we treat a waterfall the same as a river, only have it flowing downward instead of horizontally, right? Any clue what my problem is? Should I post the two cogs in question?

Both require vector, sector, and surface inputs. To simplify things, the waterfall is composed only of two sectors (I didn't know if one would be alright, but two is certainly not any harder to keep track of.) I filled in the sector numbers as instructed, set the vector, and then put the adjoins of the surfaces for the two surfaces it asks for. I may have set the vector wrong, since I've never done it before, but I tried a few things and it made no difference - besides, if I set it wrong, I'd still have thrust, right? Just not in the right direction. I've got no thrust, and the texture isn't flowing.

I've never posted here before. If this is a forum where people generally frown on random guys showing up and asking what may appear to the enlightened as stupid questions, my apologies. I've been looking around for a while and couldn't find anything to help me out, though.

- augustine
aim: cmoyer12
2006-03-01, 2:55 PM #2
Hello and welcome.
It would certainly help to see a screenshot of your sector architecture and to know the vector values you have tried...
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2006-03-01, 3:21 PM #3
http://www.themelesswonder.com/sector.bmp

If that's not what you're looking for, let me know and I'll try to help you help me, to quote Jerry Maguire.

As far as the vector values go, I tried a bunch of random things but kept it simple, like 0/0/-1 and 0/0/1, 0/1/0, etc, just filling in different things for the different axis to see if I could get any response at all. I could not. (Can you even use negative numbers?)

Thanks for the welcome.
2006-03-01, 9:49 PM #4
Sorry, I can't see your shot for some reason, but yes you can use - numbers.
(0.0/0.0/1.0) means straight up while (0.0/0.0/-1.0) means straight down. I think you are required to use the parentheses too.

But just nothing happens when you test it? It just looks like a regular wall piece?

But don't worry about posting here. You are welcome. Just be very careful when asking in the cog forum. People won't take you seriously if you just say "I need a cog that does this and that....so make it for me plz k thx bye"
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth
2006-03-01, 9:55 PM #5
The shot seems to work alright for me, so I'm not sure what to tell you about that just yet.

I wasn't using the parentheses, actually, which I thought might be it, but I added them and still no dice. It's not just a regular wall piece, the water texture is there, translucent, and if you go into the falls the tinting, sound, etc is all right. It's water, it just doesn't move.
2006-03-01, 11:25 PM #6
How big is the level. If its under or close to a megabite and you can upload it to the web do so and ill take a look.
Spoting an error in post will result in a $100 reward.
Offer expires on 6/6/06. Valid one per customer, per day.

Rangi
2006-03-02, 7:22 AM #7
Yea. But the only other thing I can think of is either you are using a faulty custom conveyor cog, or you set the speed at -x or 0, or you mislabeled the surface number.

So yes use 00_conveyoramb.cog (i think thats the one, but I cant check right now. Just so long as it has 00 means its basically a functional LEC cog.)

Use parentheses in vectors, with the correct vector.

Vary the speed, just to test to see if it makes a difference. Like from 5 to 15. I dont really remember what is reasonable.

Make sure the cog is pointing at the correct surface number
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth
2006-03-02, 8:22 AM #8
At the cog screen (F7) press "refresh" before you close it. Save, recompile and try again.

Are you using 00_conveyor.cog and 00_sectorthrust.cog? If not, give them a shot and see what happens. They are right there in the LEC section, under res2.gob.

The propor vector for a "fall" is (0/0/-1). Make sure you have this set.

From the looks of that screenshot, you only have two downward thrust sectors and two downward sliding conveyer surfaces, right?

Around 5 or 6 for the speed is usually resonable, depending on whether or not you stretched the surfaces.

I took down your AIM name, feel free to IM me at Andrew61987 or email me the JED file.
2006-03-02, 12:20 PM #9
It works! Awesome. Actually, I was using a custom river cog that I downloaded off of here, and I suppose it just wasn't any good. It didn't occur to me that I could use the sectorthrust and conveyer cogs, though it probably should have. That was easy as hell once you pointed that out (less than two minutes to make it.) Thanks a ton, guys.
2006-03-02, 1:59 PM #10
Custom cogs sometimes expect strange input values (I know it, as I've written some of my own :)). What was the exact name of this custom cog (i'm curious now)?
"Häb Pfrässe, süsch chlepfts!" - The coolest language in the world (besides Cherokee)
2006-03-03, 6:42 PM #11
I'm guessing it's this:
http://www.massassi.net/cogfiles/both/riverthrust.cog
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2006-03-03, 10:36 PM #12
That's the one.
2006-03-11, 9:29 AM #13
Hmm, it should work. It's using SlideWall instead of SlideSurface, but it should work nevertheless.

↑ Up to the top!