Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → Moving Shadows?
Moving Shadows?
2006-07-21, 11:22 AM #1
Has any one ever made shadows that moved in JK?
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-07-21, 11:36 AM #2
You can make a blob shadow for a player but that's about it.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-07-22, 10:38 AM #3
Not for the player... I mean, if I have a hanging lamp that is moving a little, would it be possible to make the light move with it?
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-07-22, 11:47 AM #4
No.
2006-07-22, 11:49 AM #5
One way to do it -- create an object that gives off light (a dynamic light source), and attach it to the lamp.

Of course, this will not make objects cast shadows on the rest of the environment. That cannot really be done in JK.
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2006-07-22, 12:02 PM #6
A moving lantern? Most likely... It's just gonna be a pain in the arse. Carefully used baked animated textures could probably imitate it, with the exception of shadowing dynamic objects (the player, enemies, projectiles...)
_ _ _____________ _ _
Wolf Moon
Cast Your Spell On Me
Beware
The Woods At Night
The Wolf Has Come
2006-07-22, 1:47 PM #7
Originally posted by Emon:
No.

Seriously, please don't give advice until you've atleast done a search to make sure.

http://www.jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=242§ion=screenshots&ss_id=project-242-WrKJMrUEIR.jpg
[http://www.jkhub.net/project/screens/project-242-WrKJMrUEIR.jpg]

Obviously, we don't have dynamic drop shadows in JK...but I think you already knew that.
"The solution is simple."
2006-07-22, 1:50 PM #8
Originally posted by LKOH_SniperWolf:
A moving lantern? Most likely... It's just gonna be a pain in the arse. Carefully used baked animated textures could probably imitate it, with the exception of shadowing dynamic objects (the player, enemies, projectiles...)

The dynamic shadows would move on 3do's too...you just wouldn't have a drop shadow.
"The solution is simple."
2006-07-22, 3:41 PM #9
I once tried using multiple blob shadows that would cast in a row from the player depending on the dynamic light position. I gave up on it I think because of all the errors with many non-opaque surfaces rendering ontop of eachother, and the effect generally looking bad.
2006-07-22, 5:13 PM #10
Originally posted by CaptBevvil:
Obviously, we don't have dynamic drop shadows in JK...but I think you already knew that.

No ****, sherlock. That's why I said "no," because dynamic drop shadows were exactly what he was asking for.

Oh, and for the record, that bumpmapping is quite fake and doesn't even look that great. I applaud Shred's efforts, but it's pointless.
2006-07-23, 5:45 AM #11
I've thought that it might be possible in a limited way if you had a flat dark transparent/translucent 3do or several of them which you moved around by cog.

It would be a pain to implement though, and you'd still need to do something to affect the lighting on the player or other 3dos.

↑ Up to the top!