Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → Hall Of Mirrors !!!!!
Hall Of Mirrors !!!!!
2006-12-04, 9:45 PM #1
What causes The HOM effect and how can you get rid of it? Thanks.
2006-12-04, 11:21 PM #2
The most common cause of HOM is too many adjoins in view of the player. The engine limits the number that can be displayed at once to a hard-coded number, so when you reach that number, it simply doesn't render the areas where the HOM effect shows up.

What this means is if you have a really complex area, you're likely to get HOM. You'll have to tone down the detail a little bit. You could use some custom 3dos to take the place of the more complex architecture, or you could carefully plan the geometry so you can't see as many adjoins at once.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-12-05, 6:44 AM #3
Or if you do a bad cleave job or somehow delete a surface so that you are looking at 'nothing' you shall see HOM.
2006-12-05, 8:14 AM #4
A patch has been released that raises the adjoin limit, so there's that alternative, too (granted, everyone who plays your level will need the patch to get rid of the HOM, and framerate may be low if a great many adjoins are present...)
But, then again, 3dos are easier to edit if you mess up/need to revise...

Also, to find such surfaces that Axis has described, you can use the following params in the Ctrl+F dialog:
Adjoined Surface [is not] [-1]
Geo [is] [0]
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2006-12-05, 10:39 AM #5
Also, if a surface in your level is not flagged as "impassible," it will be passable and if you touch it I bet you get the HOM effect.
I've also had it sometimes where a sector was assigned 0x1000 (collide box) when it shouldn't and gave me some weird effects when trying to walk through it.
This is retarded, and I mean drooling at the mouth

↑ Up to the top!