Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → transparent sprites... impossible?
transparent sprites... impossible?
2001-11-10, 1:15 PM #1
I'm guessing yes... since it hasn't been done before... but oh how sweet my weapon would be if only I could...

Now, Indy Jones and the Infernal Machine uses the Jedi Knight engine, right? And it uses transparent sprites, right? You see where I'm going with this?

------------------
...how easy life would be... if only it came with a consistancy checker.
Fabricator of Neurotic for MLP4
We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams...
Neurotic||Mobius Grith||The Atrium
2001-11-10, 4:29 PM #2
It uses a modifeid version of the engine. It probably supports more things than the jk engine. Just like MotS supports more than the original JK engine.

I'm not sure if they are possible or not.

------------------
"Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand."
Have Lightsaber Will Travel
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
2001-11-10, 7:15 PM #3
You can use a flat 3do with a translutent surface and make a cog for it so it will continously look at you like a sprite.

Thats the closest you can get to one.
2001-11-11, 4:29 AM #4
Yea, thass true, but what I wanna do requires multiple transparencies.
2001-11-12, 3:18 AM #5
Yes, transparent sprites are possible. Sprites are just links to mat files that have a few added specs.

------------------
Thank you for sending me a copy of your mod - I'll waste no time playing it.
Author of the JK DataMaster, Parsec, Scribe, and the EditPlus Cog Files.
2001-11-12, 12:02 PM #6
Transparent: Invisible, completely see-through. Ex. Invisible Man.

Translucent: Partly see-through. You can only see some of it. Ex colored glass.

Transparent sprites are possible. Translucent ones are not. Translucent 3dos as Seifer said are.

Indy uses a way pumped up JK engine, which is still quite low end. Comparing Indy with JK is like comparing Quake II to Quake I (graphics wise).
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2001-11-14, 1:19 PM #7
Bah, you know what I meant, Dictionary-Boy! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

For what I wanna do, it's just not worth doing if I can't make transLUCent sprites. As you know, when using multiple-transLUCent 3DOs in front of one of one another, parts of the 3DOs will appear to disappear. AND therefore, if the transLUCent 3DO's are in front of the player model, parts of the player model will also disappear. This just looks stupid...

...I was hoping there was a way... I mean I know everyone's saying it's impossible... but everyone thought glow-sabers were impossible too... ya know what I mean?

↑ Up to the top!