Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith Editing Forum → Multiplayer Skin as Singleplayer Enemy
Multiplayer Skin as Singleplayer Enemy
2002-01-06, 5:23 PM #1
Does anyone know how, step-by-step, to take a multiplayer skin and turn it into a single player enemy?

Someone suggested using the Robots Make New Character wizard utility, but that didn't work. Instead of a repeater, the new enemy was carrying what looked like a duffle bag.

I have tried JED, Joke, and manually editing the text file of the 3do itself for the past 48 hours. The best I can get is a properly shaped and textured enemy that has its gun and right hand in the wrong place.

I'm using an Al MacDonald skin of an AT-ST driver and just want it to be based on the Imperial Commando with repeater template. Surely there has got to be an answer!

I've heard that the insert offset needs to be changed, but to what?

The pup file seems to work fine. Puppet Jedi, when playing back the keys also shows the right hand and weapon in the wrong place with screwed up textures.

The weapon's textures are always all screwed up when I use JED.

When I used Joke, the textures on the gun were fine and it all appeared great in 3d Preview. When I loaded the level, however, the thing was just a jumble of angry body parts.

See also http://forums.commandchamber.net/sh...&highlight=hand

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Dead Reckoning and Dead Reckoning 2
Dead Reckoning
2002-01-06, 8:47 PM #2
The jumbled body parts means something got messed up with the nodes/keys.

Is this for MotS? If so, I have created a version of the MotS Tie Pilot with a repeater. You could just retexture it. If it's for JK, I'm afraid you are stuck doing cut and paste.

------------------
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.

The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
2002-01-07, 9:07 AM #3
It's for JK, unfortunately.

Is the solution to the jumbled body parts problem to use a different pup file? I used ky.pup for Al MacDonald's atstdrv.3do.

------------------
Dead Reckoning
2002-01-07, 10:26 AM #4
Using the Rbots wizard will work for what you want. Did you follow the tutorial on the Rbots website?

I'll merge the models for you if you like - it only takes about 1 minute [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

[edit: the merged model is ready for you at http://rbots.massassi.net/files/atstdrv-repeater.zip - and it works [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] ]

Raynar

------------------
... the Jedi I admire the most, met up with Darth Maul, now he's toast ...
Rbots - a project to develop a working Bot for Jedi Knight... download the latest development version here

[This message has been edited by Raynar (edited January 07, 2002).]

Pagewizard_YKS: "making your own lightsaber doesn't make you a nerd... "
Raynar - the man with a 10.75" ePenis
2002-01-07, 12:55 PM #5
Hey, Raynar, thanks for responding. I did read the tutorial and followed it very closely about five or six times. When I went to select the character from the resource picker in JED in my level, he looked to be carrying not a gun but a large duffle bag textured like his shirt. I did not try to actually run the level with it.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Recall that I intend on using this new enemy in a singleplayer[/i] level. The tutorial seems geared towards MP.

Here are the steps that I took:

1. Downloaded and extracted the atstdrv.3do from Al MacDonald's Final Force skinpack.

2. Extracted the repeater rifle from JK.

3. Opened up the Rbots Wizard Program.

4. Selected the atstdrv.3do and then the repeater rifle 3do.

5. Saved the new 3do.

6. Added a template entry based on the Imperial Commando with Repeater, specifying ky.pup and atstdrv.3do.

7. Opened my level in JED.

8. Reloaded Templates.

9. Go to Thing Mode and access the Resource Picker.

10. Character is carrying a duffle bag.

Did I miss a step?

Also, what template should I use? Your tutorial has some but not all of the template entry.

By the way, when I first heard of this utility of yours, I can't tell you how happy I was. Making SP enemies out of MP skins should be easy. The fact that you have automated the task is a truly significant contribuition to level making (if only I could get it to work).

------------------
Dead Reckoning
2002-01-07, 1:17 PM #6
It sounds like you used the wrong repeater 3do. You don't need to extract the weapon models from JK, as all the correct weapon models are included with the Wizard, under the 'weapons' directory. '6.3do' is the repeater.

btw you can safely use the MP models for single player enemies, as long as you specify ky.pup.

Raynar

------------------
Rbots - a project to develop a working Bot for Jedi Knight... download the latest development version here

2002-01-07, 3:16 PM #7
Hey, you're the greatest! Thanks a lot. I think I extracted the wrong 3do as the weapon. I will download the file and try it tonight.

Thanks again. You'll definitely get a credit in the level.

------------------
Dead Reckoning
2002-01-07, 6:06 PM #8
I just tried and, hey, what do you know? It works!!! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Couple of easy refinements had to be made, though. The hand was just a bit low, so I moved it up in Joke, which worked just fine. Also, the textures for the hand were bare skin, and I need black gloves. That was easily solved by opening up the 3do in Notepad and replacing the bare skin texture references in the rhand mesh with the textures from the left hand. That worked perfectly too.

The only problem remaining, which I think I may just ignore, is that when the enemy dies, his hand disappears.

I don't suppose you have a version two coming out that will make the hand and the weapon different meshes so that when the enemy dies and spawns his weapon, his hand can stay put?

------------------
Dead Reckoning
2002-01-08, 9:38 AM #9
Can you add a "fake hand" to the end of the forearm. If it's a little on the small side you won't notice in inside the real hand when the enemy is alive. And when it dies, the hand will show up...
2002-01-08, 10:56 AM #10
Now that is a pretty good idea. I will try it tonight. Thanks. I think Massassi needs a tutorial on this....

------------------
Dead Reckoning
2002-01-08, 2:00 PM #11
You may have mixed up the 3do when you adjusted it, as the models I've created have no problems when the actor dies. Have a look at the Rbots models.

Raynar

------------------

↑ Up to the top!