Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → Someone PLEASE help me with lifts
Someone PLEASE help me with lifts
2002-05-18, 7:22 PM #1
Im trying to make a lift which would go up when you step on it and then come back down normally (even if you are standing on it). And i want it to have a switch that when you hit it, the lift would come up.
ive tried so many diffrent things but the problem im getting is

with

func_door the problem with the func door is that it goes up like it should when you stading on it but when it starts to come down it stops inthe midway and starts to go up again. And 2nd question with it is thatcan you assign a switch to it?

func_plat my plat basically never shows up. And even if i do get it too, can i assign a switch to it and what shuold i enter to make it go up?

func_static well its tehre but it doesnt go back up if you keep stading on it.

So how which func should i make to do it the things that i want it to? And what system brush would they need (origin,clip ect?)

So...PLEASE HELP!!
2002-05-18, 7:26 PM #2
I'm wondering as well.

[BTW how the hell do you even get the door to go up!? Mine just goes right...or left...or sits there...]

------------------
Always be evil or I will eat pie.
------------------
My name is FRNDS_Pommy...01000110010
0100000000 in Binary!

[This message has been edited by FRNDS_Pommy (edited May 18, 2002).]
Official Staff Member of the Massassi Temple - File Poster, SotD updater...
I can't ban you like buck can, but you should |>|-|34|2 me all the same.

------------------
Why girls are evil.
2002-05-18, 11:03 PM #3
Lifts are a giant pain in the rear, for a fairly simple lift using the FUNC_DOOR go to this site, http://www.kevinuk.co.uk/ , and go to the Mapping Section.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/cool.gif] Llawnroc [http://forums.massassi.net/html/cool.gif]
2002-05-18, 11:34 PM #4
Pommy, fellow obseesionist of pies, just make a brush the right size. Then with it still selected, right click and choose func_door as you have done. It should be blue if you deselect it, showing its a func i think. Then select it again, press N. By clicking up or down does just that to the door or you can make the door slide differnt ways by using the degrees thing to the left. Its set out stupidly but remember that 90 is to the right, 270 the left, 180 down, 360 up, 45 up right etc.
It also depends which way is the front of the door which way it goes.
You can change the speed and sound.
You could just ignore all I've said and nick a door from the kejim_post level.
Also if you want two doors to open at the same time because their double doors, all you do is press n again, and for both doors type team as the key and anything for the value.As long as they have the same value they are joined.
Whoa, anyway can someone help me with my post, the one on skyboxes.

------------------
Umm...... Tickles......
Sounds like a chocolate bar.
Umm... chocolate......
And what else is nice?
Umm...... Singleplayer levels...
You should sail. Its fun, except when you fall in.
"sigh"
2002-05-19, 12:02 AM #5
Right, I've been messing about with lifts because I want some in my level. I think I've got it, and you're right Llawnroc 'lifts are a giant pain in the rear'.

I created a lift using func_plat and added the delay key and gave it a value of 2000: the time the lift will wait (in ms) once it reaches its destination. change that value to whatever you want.

I then created a trigger_multiple around the whole lift area and also made sure it bled over the top ledge a little, so you can activate it at the top by standing on the edge. I gave the trigger a wait key with a value of 10, this should be the total time it takes for your lift to go up, wait and then come back down again. Play around with that value until it's right. Then select the trigger and then the lift and press ctrl+k to target them.

That was as much as I needed for my map, but you mentioned a button.

It seems that you can target a button to the trigger_multiple so that the button can trigger the lift using the trigger_multiple. I suggest giving the button a wait key and value that corresponds to that of the trigger_multiples wait value.

It's messy, and I don't know what the bot AI will make of it. But it'll do for now.
2002-05-19, 2:35 AM #6
I don't know about the lifts but to get the doors to open UPWARDS, you need to put an angle key value of "-1" in the func_door entity properties (N)...

Kayron James Mercieca - kayronjm@gibnet.gi
2002-05-19, 5:22 AM #7
Don't use the func_button entity. You can create a simple button using a trigger brush. Create a brush encompassing the area the player has to stand in to be able to reach the button, and make it a trigger_multiple. Press n, and click the 'use button' flag, then target it at the elevator.
2002-05-19, 9:19 AM #8
"func_plat my plat basically never shows up. And even if i do get it too, can i assign a switch to it and what shuold i enter to make it go up?"

Dont forget when you make a func_plat, place it in the RAISED position in the editor. It will be in the right place in-game as long as you enter the correct values. I suspect it didnt show up as it was in fact buried in the floor [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
2002-05-19, 9:47 AM #9
How can I change how high it goes? Mine goes like 2 inches...

------------------
Why girls are evil.
2002-05-19, 10:44 AM #10
A platform raises its height which if you have a thin platform it will only go up a bit. So you either have to make a column that the platform sits on, or you could place a caulk brush under the platform for the height you need it to rise by then make it and your platform the platform. That sounds like it wouldn't work but it does, I tested it.
2002-05-19, 10:47 AM #11
You can go through caulk brushes, right? Or is there another texture that's invisible and allows you to walk through it?

[NM figured it out]
------------------
Always be evil or I will eat pie.
------------------
My name is FRNDS_Pommy...01000110010
0100000000 in Binary!

[This message has been edited by FRNDS_Pommy (edited May 19, 2002).]

------------------
Why girls are evil.
2002-05-19, 10:54 AM #12
caulk_nonsolid is what you need.
2002-05-19, 2:39 PM #13
If you have a thin platform, and you want it to travel further than its width, then add a height key, and enter a value for how far you want it to go.
2002-05-19, 5:30 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JM:
caulk_nonsolid is what you need.</font>

Yeah, I figured that out [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

Ok, one more Q:

You know on ctf_ns_streets, where they have that elevator going up to the sniper point? How do you make it like that? Because my elevator goes up before I can get to it (since it activates when I get into it's little area). And I want it to stay at the top until either someone rides it down or someone below approaches it.
I can't ban you like buck can, but you should |&gt;|-|34|2 me all the same.

------------------
Why girls are evil.
2002-05-19, 5:36 PM #15
i tried working with the func_door again but its giving me the same problem. for example, it has the lip value -200 and it goes up like it should but comes only halfway down and then starts to go up again.
2002-05-20, 3:46 AM #16
FRNDS_Pommy, that's quite specific and to get that to work I'll think you'll need somekind of mod. I hope someone can prove me wrong though. Queen, look at my first post to this topic.

[This message has been edited by Admiral Mouse (edited May 20, 2002).]

↑ Up to the top!