Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → Having emotional troubles...
Having emotional troubles...
2002-05-27, 12:32 PM #1
I am wondering how some of you hardcore mapmakers can work on maps for so much time. I've been working for weeks learning, and this weekend almost 3 days straight and I've barely got like 1% of my map completed. How do you guys keep up your interests for weeks at a time?

[This message has been edited by loopy_the_jedi (edited May 27, 2002).]
-------------------
QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
"Not only did I turn into a woman, but I turned into a lewd ,pleasure craving, nymph of a woman!" -By: (a cookie to the person who knows)
2002-05-27, 12:55 PM #2
make a level with just one room and put desan in it, then whenever you get frusterated/tired/bored with the level your spending weeks on just fire up your one roomed level, turn on god mode and give desan a good whoopin... works for me anyways... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]
famous last words: i dont meen to sound like a dolt,.....bbuuutttt.

Dirge
Dirge II
2002-05-27, 1:59 PM #3
you can't have ADD

------------------
I was kicked out of Smurfland for being purple. www.out-post.net
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
2002-05-27, 2:41 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lateralus:
you can't have ADD

</font>

Thanks for that! Nice to meet you by the way! Geesh
-------------------
QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
"Not only did I turn into a woman, but I turned into a lewd ,pleasure craving, nymph of a woman!" -By: (a cookie to the person who knows)
2002-05-27, 3:21 PM #5
Sounds like a very ambitious level. Try to cut out anything that isn't essential to making it fun. A lot of hard work can be wasted on things which players don't give a stuff about.

It can also take a lot of time if you keep compiling and checking every small change you make. That is the major time waster, especially with Quake editing.
2002-05-27, 3:54 PM #6
Make a duel map. They're much smaller and don't require as much detail as a bigger FFA/CTF/Whatever level. I made two simple duel maps in two days. Build time was less than 3 hours for each. Start off small...watch ideas flood yoru mind...then go big.

-JK
I have spoken.
-JK
2002-05-27, 7:53 PM #7
yeah i noticed when i was making day of defeat maps that its good to have a small secondary project to play with when you hit a dead end for the moment... hehe yeah making a box and whoopin desann is a good way too
Shaving is not a high priority with Jedi.
Would you want to shave with a lightsaber?

I don't like quake, never liked quake, and don't like Star Wars quake. So basically jk2mp.exe never gets used on my computer.
2002-05-28, 9:59 AM #8
The trick I use is perhaps a bit flippant, but basically I start a map, if it hasn't started to take shape within an hour I scrap it and start over. All the maps i've ever released have had their main layout designed and built within the first couple of hours.

Once the main structure is built, the rest of the time is easy going since you know exactly what you want, the majority of time I spend on maps I release is tweaking the lighting and testing the level.

[This message has been edited by DeTRiTiC-iQ (edited May 28, 2002).]
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2002-05-28, 11:36 AM #9
To the whole darned community,

Please, for the love of Yoda, stop releasing Duel Maps, people! Jeez!

If I could get together a team of FFA/TFFA/CTF mapmakers, we could release a pack of 10 or so maps that rock, and server's'd have to play them for us! Suweeeet!

Thx,
Wudan
www.wudan07.com

↑ Up to the top!