Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → GTK Radient to JKO?
GTK Radient to JKO?
2002-05-30, 11:30 PM #1
I'm quite new to all this and have been trying to do my homework before actually diving into making playable levels. A few questions:
1) What exactly is GTK Radient and how does it relate to JKO version of Radient? I'm seeing that a lot of people seem to like GTK better, but I don't know why.
2) If GTK is better, can the maps made there be used with JKO?
3) Where can I get GTK and is it worth it?
Like I say, I'm new but I would like to do the best I can. I can make small, boring mods but with the proper resources I know I could do some cool things. Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
"Would you rather die here, in the back of a convenience store?"
2002-05-31, 5:10 AM #2
GtkRadiant is a version of Q3Radiant that supports Windows and Linux. It uses the Gimp Toolkit (Gtk), hence the name. JK2Radiant is based on the Elite Force editor, EFRadiant, which was based on Q3Radiant.

It's hard to say which is less buggy. Most people who discuss it haven't used both editors enough to really know. I haven't had any problems using JK2Radiant. GtkRadiant suffers from "sticky" menus which is very annoying.

The maps use the same format, I think, so you should be able to change between editors.

You can get GtkRadiant from here.
http://www.qeradiant.com/?data=files&files_dir=2
2002-05-31, 8:31 AM #3
I have to use GTKRad, since everytime I try to undo in JK2Rad, it crashes and corrupts the map.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2002-05-31, 12:00 PM #4
GTKRadiant is a much newer version of the same program JORad is based on. It's far superior. Try vertex editing in JORad, then in GTK, and see for yourself.
2002-05-31, 12:54 PM #5
GTK also has better general movement features then JKO. Such as in the camera view in GTK you can right click and move around just like in the actual video game (looking where ever the mouse moves to)...that along with wheel mouse zooming in and out makes for easy movement. (you can also wheel mouse zoom in/out in all the layouts) In JKO you still ahve to use the 'insert' and 'delete' keys :-(

You'll have to try them out to see which you like more.

,trix
2002-05-31, 7:39 PM #6
Thanks for everyone's input. I did download GTK but when I installed it, it took out the base directory. Where do I install it to?

------------------
"Would you rather die here, in the back of a convenience store?"

↑ Up to the top!