Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → JK2 Radiant FAQ
JK2 Radiant FAQ
2002-04-22, 6:31 PM #1
Entity List not showing up:

For some reason JK2 Radiant thinks if you save your map to a different directory than where its installed that the entity files is where your map is.

Solution:

Load the project file, like for example the MP 1. Then go to File, Project settings and change entity path: mp_entities.def to C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast\GameData\Tools\mp_entities.def
or wherever you installed jedi knight and the editor. Then it will allways load as long as that file is there.

Error: Entity NOT created, brushes not from world: This only happens if you have another entity selected then try to create a new one. Simply get into the habit of deselecting(by pressing ESC by default) when creating something new.

Scaling Textures:

Select the face of the brush of the texture you want scaled by doing control shift mouse 1 then press S to edit or you can enable the texture editing toolbar in prefrences. Horizontial and Vertical shift will move the texture that way. Rotate well rotates it, its in degrees IE. 90 degrees will rotate it 90 degrees. Stretch will strech out or thin the texture. Larger value, huger, smaller value, more compressed. And fit tries to fit the entire texture on the face.

Compile Problems:

Kernel error:

This seems to only happen if it cannot find your mapfile. Only way so far it seems is to save your maps you want compiled in the base\maps directory

Leaks:

This happens when the inside of your map or box or whatever is touching the outside of the void. I like to think brush mapping as making a ship, the brushes are the hull. If your hull has a leak, leaking to space your ship will be ruined.

Long Loading Times:

Be patient as it takes a little while to load, esp on slower computers.

Feel free to add on more/edit this FAQ or post it on your websites.

[This message has been edited by Rj (edited April 22, 2002).]
Ben: "Use the Cog Luke"
Luke:"But this Deathstar has a sign that says 'NH NC. Kicker Enabled'"
Ben: "Use the Cog Luke!!! We are fighting a war against the Deathstar!"
Luke: "But I dont wanna break the rules..."
Ben: "Ohhh pooohhh... Lightsiders never want to use the Cog. But good old Anakin Skywalker taked my advice tooo well..."
2002-04-22, 11:32 PM #2
Lo Rj, can you drop me an E-Mail? Cuz you got your E-Mail set to non-public and I gotta talk to you [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

- Pro

------------------
JK2Files.com / JediKnight2Files.com - All the files you can swallow :D
Got skins, maps, mods, utilities, bla bla whatever? Send it in! We'll host it! Send it to files @ jk2files.com!
2002-04-23, 3:59 AM #3
*sigh* I want to use models in JK2Radiant. Ones from the game. Like 'plant.md3'. I already extracted it from the PK3, put it in SEVERAL different directories. Nothing's happening. This seems to be my only prob. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2002-04-23, 4:04 AM #4
I canĀ“t start JORadiant.......everytime i start the prog it crashs........very cool [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

/I got it to work....it didnt crashed it just load long.......very long!

[This message has been edited by MrFair (edited April 23, 2002).]
2002-04-23, 5:11 AM #5
I'm not sure how relevant this is to JK2Radiant but I remember on some other Q3engine games, that you can decrease the time it takes radiant to load by extracting the contents of the pk3 files.
2002-04-23, 12:37 PM #6
bump ok ill send a email right now
Ben: "Ohhh pooohhh... Lightsiders never want to use the Cog. But good old Anakin Skywalker taked my advice tooo well..."
2002-04-23, 1:01 PM #7
I compile my map with no problems then go to load it in Multiplayer in Jedi Outcast and it doesn't load! In SP it loaded fine!

When you load your maps in multiplayer, you MUST first turn off pure server. To do this you bring down the console(shift + ~) type in sv_pure 0 then you may load your map with the command map [your map here without brackets] or the devmap command.
2002-04-23, 1:08 PM #8
Here's a rather straight-forward one...how do you compile/test a level?

------------------
"Rabbits will jump farther if you throw them..."
2002-04-23, 1:32 PM #9
Still can't get the entity path to work.
2002-04-23, 1:47 PM #10
C:\PROGRA~1\LUCASA~1\STARWA~1\GAMEDATA\TOOLS\\SP_entities.def

Assuming you've done the default installations.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2002-04-23, 2:59 PM #11
To compile a level:

Save your level to your base/maps directory. Then simply go to Bsp then Bsp FullVis.
Bsp FullVis(extra)does extra light caculations to get your light smoother. Relight just adds the new light settings to an already created .bsp file.

To test a level:

Once you compiled a level, you may load up Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast in either single player or multiplayer depending on the level you made. Then bring down the console(shift and ~), and type in map [name of map here] without the brackets. The devmap command also works if you want cheats. In multiplayer however, you MUST turn off the pure server option(sv_pure 0) to load ANY map that is not in a .pk3 file. You don't if its in its own pk3 file.
2002-04-23, 6:29 PM #12
Selecting a particular face:

CTRL Shift and then mouse 1

Using the clipper tool:

The clipper tool is basicly JK2 Radiant's version of the popular cleave tool in Jed. You select the brush(s) you want to clip then hit the clipping tool [http://planetquake.com/bubba/tool14.jpg]
then click on the points of the brush then press enter to confirm the clip.

Good begining Tutorial:

Even though its for Quake these tutorials will help you learn the basics of Radiant anything.

Bubba's Arena Tutorials:
http://planetquake.com/bubba/tutorial.html

I am starting work on a beginning tutorial covering the basics of Radiant and brush editing in general soon when I have time(and popular demand is high enough). It will cover CSG Subtraction(equiv to ajoining in jed), basic level structure, the tools, compiling, etc. But my time is limited and I think I would be more of help with this FAQ anyways.

[This message has been edited by Rj (edited April 23, 2002).]
2002-04-23, 6:35 PM #13
Is it possible to view the lighting in the 3d preview?

------------------
-Hell Raiser
Doing stuff one thing at a time
-Hell Raiser
2002-04-23, 6:36 PM #14
Hell Raiser, im trying to figure that out myself heh. I dont see why it wouldn't be possible though.
2002-04-23, 6:38 PM #15
ooh ooh! another good one.

How the heck do you create a snapshot of your level? (for the loading screen)

------------------
-Hell Raiser
Doing stuff one thing at a time
-Hell Raiser
2002-04-23, 6:46 PM #16
Custom levelshot for people to see while your map loads:

Ingame when your level is finished and ready to release, bind a key to "levelshot" (without quotes) (example: bind kp_del levelshot) This will save a file named [yourlevel but without brackets].tga in your levelshots directory. Simply include this directory and file with your finished .pk3 file(you are going to make 1 right?) then it should load up.

Making .pk3 files
This is really easy as .pk3 files are really zip files. You can use a zip program like http://www.winzip.com or what I like to use is a program called PakScape, its a special program just for these files which allow easy browsing(winzip just only shows the files, no directories) You can get it at: http://planetquake.com/bubba/mapping.html

[This message has been edited by Rj (edited April 23, 2002).]
2002-04-24, 2:16 AM #17
Okay, I have another question...is there a faster way to apply textures? Like texturing stitching...manually selecting each surface, changing the texture, and then aligning it, is a pain in the *** .

------------------
2002-04-24, 2:29 AM #18
Rough way for stitching:
If you have 3 mouse buttons.. Ctrl+Shift+Left click to select the surface you want to stitch from, then Ctrl+Shift+Middle mouse button to stitch another surface.
2002-04-24, 5:58 AM #19
whenever I try to turn my level into a bsp file I keep getting these bad command or file name errors. all my level consists of is a big box with a spawn point and light, thats it. so what the heck is the problem?
(Hostile Takeover)
http://www.massassi.net/levels/files/1708.shtml
(RWP)
http://www.massassi.net/levels/files/1780.shtml
Check Um Out...
2002-04-24, 7:13 AM #20
Is there an easier way to edit/add key's to entities? The "Entity Info..." list won't let me edit them and the only way I've found to edit them are to open the .map file in wordpad and do it manually. Help?
2002-04-24, 7:13 AM #21
Is there an easier way to edit/add key's to entities? The "Entity Info..." list won't let me edit them and the only way I've found to edit them are to open the .map file in wordpad and do it manually. Help?
2002-04-24, 9:34 AM #22
When you have an entity selected, press 'n'. This brings up the entity info window. Let's say you selected a light. Well, just click on a key or value. Clear the key and value. Add 'light' in key, and '600' in value. Now press 'ENTER'. Pressing enter after clearing spaces will add new info.
"Staring into the wall does NOT count as benchmarking."

-Emon
2002-04-24, 10:47 AM #23
As far as custom textures goes I can get the textures onto my brushes alright, but when I go to test it in JK2 they all come up as White checkered defaulty type textures. What do i need to do to se my textures when testing.

Also, how do leaks work? I know theres a leak in my level, It says !!LEAKED!! when i compile it. When i click the "Find Nest Leak" button Rad does nothing. How does this thing work?
-<MenacE>-
2002-04-24, 3:27 PM #24
Custom textures not showing up ingame:

To get your custom textures to show up, move your custom textures to the base/textures directory(create new folder if there isnt one) or move it into your .pk3 file with the textures directory. BTW the black with white square textures that show up are JO's new and improved dflt textures [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] Isnt it great to see the old dflt.mat in new 32 bit colors and more stylish [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Possible causes of leaks(in no particular order):

Entity(s) outside of level
Brush entitys outside level or touching the "void"
Not perfectly alligned brushes
Some types of shaders just dont work and give leak errors
2002-04-25, 12:27 PM #25
To make your MP map appear in the list (so you don't have to use the console to test or play your level):

Extract 'arenas.txt' from assests0.pk3. Open it and add this to the list:

{
map "your_map_name"
bots "Luke or any other bots you want"
longname "long name"
fraglimit default frag limit
type "ffa team whatever"
}

Now just add the arenas.txt to a pk3 and put the pk3 in the gamedata/base folder and you're ready.

To add a model (for example: plant2.md3):

Add a 'misc_model' entity. Select it and press 'n'. Add this key:

"model" "your_model_name"

Set the model name to whatever model you want (for example: plant2.md3). Now you're ready!

[This message has been edited by JK [Meteor] (edited April 25, 2002).]
"Maybe you like rainbows"
I can't remember what to say!!!!
Click here for my homepage.
2002-04-26, 4:15 AM #26
Does anyone know how to insert a spawn point?

------------------
God Bless America!
http://nobleknight.freeservers.com
God Bless America!
http://nobleknight.freeservers.com
2002-04-26, 6:02 AM #27
http://planetquake.com/bubba/

Nobel Knight Everything you need to know is explained in bubba's tutorials. Well almost everything.
2002-04-27, 6:37 AM #28
bump
2002-04-27, 11:08 PM #29
Thanks all of you, its been really helpful.

------------------
Accept the Lord of Darkness as your savior.
Accept the Lord of Darkness as your savior.
2002-04-28, 4:15 AM #30
I looked at Bubbas tutorials...but they don't help with the basics of those cool control panels in JO or glass or elevators...

------------------
2002-04-28, 5:49 AM #31
hey if any of you guys are stuck, go to planetquake.com/qworkshop3/tutorials/ it has loads of tutorials. they assume that you know how to use radiant for minor things so use bubba's tutorials to get yourselves familiar with radiant, then use the workshop tutorials. If you need any more specific help feel free to email me, although my knowledge is limited i may be able to help. [url="mailto:Kaegar@hotmail.com"]mailto:Kaegar@hotmail.com[/url]Kaegar@hotmail.com</A>

[edit]i can't spell!![/edit]

[This message has been edited by Kaegar (edited April 28, 2002).]
2002-04-29, 11:36 AM #32
and a bump
2002-04-30, 3:17 PM #33
and a bump for any of those poor souls who dont know the difference between a brush and a sector, from radiant and jed, from jedi 1 to jedi 2
2002-05-01, 2:46 AM #34
Dethmasta: did you save your .map file in gamedata/base/maps dir? if not that is your problem, the compiler cannot find the resources it needs in the .pk3 files...
2002-05-11, 7:27 PM #35
bump
2002-05-11, 10:37 PM #36
Do you have to extract models out of the pk3 in order to put them in your map?
One day, after everybody else quits, I'll be the best.
Sith Mercenaries
^My site.
2002-06-02, 4:07 AM #37
has anyone figured out how to change spawn items? i.e. to make it so that you only spawn with the bryar pistol?

------------------
before you insult someone, walk a mile in their shoes; then when you insult them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes
2002-06-02, 4:50 AM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Is it possible to view the lighting in the 3d preview?

Hell Raiser, im trying to figure that out myself heh. I dont see why it wouldn't be possible though. </font>

It is not possible, and will not be possible.
Lighting takes a great deal of time to compile, it is not feasible to make a preview of it.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also, how do leaks work? I know theres a leak in my level, It says !!LEAKED!! when i compile it. When i click the "Find Nest Leak" button Rad does nothing. How does this thing work? </font>

Try file/pointfile.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">To get your custom textures to show up, move your custom textures to the base/textures directory(create new folder if there isnt one) or move it into your .pk3 file with the textures directory. BTW the black with white square textures that show up are JO's new and improved dflt textures Isnt it great to see the old dflt.mat in new 32 bit colors and more stylish</font>

They NEED to be in a pk3. And, it is not a new JK dflt texture. It is the Q3 'could not load shader' texture.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">To make your MP map appear in the list (so you don't have to use the console to test or play your level):
Extract 'arenas.txt' from assests0.pk3. Open it and add this to the list:

{
map "your_map_name"
bots "Luke or any other bots you want"
longname "long name"
fraglimit default frag limit
type "ffa team whatever"
}

Now just add the arenas.txt to a pk3 and put the pk3 in the gamedata/base folder and you're ready.</font>

No. Create a 'mymap.arena' textfile with that data in it. Place it in the script folder, and zip it into yuor pk3. Distributing a new arenas.txt with your maps is a very bad idea.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">To add a model (for example: plant2.md3):

Add a 'misc_model' entity. Select it and press 'n'. Add this key:

"model" "your_model_name"

Set the model name to whatever model you want (for example: plant2.md3). Now you're ready!</font>

When you create a misc_model, it will open a file dialog where you can select the model. Alternatly, press n, then press the 'model' button to get the same dialog.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Do you have to extract models out of the pk3 in order to put them in your map? </font>

No, but if you don't you'll have to type the filename manually, and won't be able to see them in-editor.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">has anyone figured out how to change spawn items? i.e. to make it so that you only spawn with the bryar pistol?</font>

Hardcoded.
2002-06-02, 4:56 AM #39
arg.

↑ Up to the top!