Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → couple'a simpleton questions
couple'a simpleton questions
2002-06-03, 3:20 AM #1
Ok, first of all, is there a cleaver in JK2radiant like there was in JED? I know there's a clipper, but when i use it it deletes half of the sector i'm cutting. This is fine, but what about when i just want to cleave a sector in half to apply different textures? Is this possible or do I have to just manually make another brush to fit the one I just clipped?

next, I'm trying to make a cylindriacal room, but you will be able to go outside it. Well, what i'm wondering is, when i make a brush and i set it to 24 sides then hollow it out, obviously i end up with a bunch of overlapping brushes for walls. I was just wondering if there's an easy way to clean this up, because clipping's hard to get right on, and that cgs subtract or whatever its called just makes an even better mess with a bunch of tiny little sectors x.x

------------------
Çðrréç†ìðñ
-Roy
Do you have stairs in your house?
2002-06-03, 4:37 AM #2
To do that the inside wont be invisable, create another one, and flip it, now the outside is unseen, both brushes will be looking like one...

------------------
And remember Boys and Girls!, never take a sip outta my swamp at degobha! - JM'Yoda
2002-06-03, 4:38 AM #3
say what?

edit - another question, once you load a set of textures (ie, yavin textures) is it possible to unload them or clear that little shader window and start over, because after you start to load a few it gets a bit clogged and confusing with 4 million textures in that little window [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] the only way i've found to clear it is to restart JK2radiant which is kindof annoying...

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited June 03, 2002).]
2002-06-03, 6:06 AM #4
You can split textures using the clipping tool. When you cut you line, instead of selecting Clip Selection from the clipping menue, select Split Selection. Works the same way, just doesn't delete the other half. Hope that helps.

------------------
I have spoken.
-JK
I have spoken.
-JK
2002-06-03, 6:40 AM #5
yes, helps very much [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
thanks!
2002-06-03, 8:19 AM #6
About the texture thing you can go to textures and select "Load in Use" that will load only the textures you have used in your level, but you will have to reload the other textures if you want to browse some more though.

------------------
Your levels are made of cement and plaster....Mine are made of tape and bubble gum.
Your levels are made of cement and plaster....Mine are made of tape and bubble gum.
2002-06-03, 8:41 AM #7
im an *** at q3 editing (but im getting there.... ******!) so this advice may **** your level up and probably make you not succeed in school and life for the rest of your life.. what I mean is Im not sure about it but....

Make your cylinder... get it the right size, in the right place.. then do THICKEN from the CURVE menu.. Play around with the value until you're satisfied with the results...

------------------
BladeSinger
BladeSinger

-Are you sure this is the Sci-Fi Convention? It's full of nerds!
2002-06-03, 9:28 AM #8
thanks for answering these questions...

about the cylinder, i think i'm so confused because ya'll think i'm using a mesh, which i'm not. I'm using a 24 sided brush, and i click the hollow button, right? well it hollows it out fine, but you'll notice (you can even try this with a square room) when you use the hollow button you get a single brush for each wall, right? well it overlaps each brush, though, which makes it really funky looking ingame (if you see the outside, that is. you can't tell from inside).. i was just askin if there is a really easy way to clean this up or do i just have to go use csg subtract on them all and caulk'em. that's what i've been doing, but it sure does take forever x.x
2002-06-03, 10:24 AM #9
First: USE GTKRADIANT. There is no reason to use JK2rad any longer, and anyone who does is an idiot.

THERE ARE NO SUCK THING AS SECTORS IN Radiant. They are BRUSHES.

And, as for splitting them, press shift+enter, instead of just enter.

Your cylinder - Use a patch!
If for some reason you can't - DON'T USE THE STUFF IN THE BRUSH MENU! Vertex editing is your friend.

When you load a texture set, the others go away, except the ones your using.

'You can split textures using the clipping tool.' WTF? You can't split textures.

And, you do not need to caulk faces that aren't visible! Why do people do this? All it accomplishes is wasting time! You only use caulk when a surface that is not visible is not being culled, like on details and entities, or behind curves to seal the map.
2002-06-03, 10:49 AM #10
JM, you caulk to keep the engine from needing to work so hard. It really helps framerate. You don't have to caulk a level, but if you don't, you'll end up getting some pretty crappy framerates.
2002-06-03, 10:53 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JM:
First: USE GTKRADIANT. There is no reason to use JK2rad any longer, and anyone who does is an idiot.

THERE ARE NO SUCK THING AS SECTORS IN Radiant. They are BRUSHES.

And, as for splitting them, press shift+enter, instead of just enter.

Your cylinder - Use a patch!
If for some reason you can't - DON'T USE THE STUFF IN THE BRUSH MENU! Vertex editing is your friend.

When you load a texture set, the others go away, except the ones your using.

'You can split textures using the clipping tool.' WTF? You can't split textures.

And, you do not need to caulk faces that aren't visible! Why do people do this? All it accomplishes is wasting time! You only use caulk when a surface that is not visible is not being culled, like on details and entities, or behind curves to seal the map.
</font>

hey, thanks! but next time, why don't you try and say something that could provide help [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] otherwise, shut yer worthless trap 'cause no one wants to hear the noises that come out

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited June 03, 2002).]

↑ Up to the top!