Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → JA Versus JO: Lighting
JA Versus JO: Lighting
2003-10-16, 6:04 AM #1
Am I correct in assuming that it's the exact same? As in: Q3Map2 allows JO to achieve whatever JA can in terms of lighting? I realize that JA can do some things that JO can't, such as portal skies, but for most of the graphics, the only upgrade from JO to JA is that they switched form SoF2MAP to Q3Map2, right?

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2003-10-16, 6:51 AM #2
JO supported Q3Map2 as well. Only, JA displays shadows way better.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
GothicX is the best n00b ever.
</font>
2003-10-16, 8:02 AM #3
the way I understand it, regardless of Q3map2, JO MP will remder less detailed and crappy looking lightmaps because of the way it is coded.

------------------
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
Immorality- 1 Cor. 6:18, 2 Tim. 2:22
Impure thoughts- Col. 3:2, Phil. 4:8
Alcohol- Eph. 5:18, Prov. 20:1
Anger- Gal. 5:22, Porv. 20:3
Pride- 1 Peter 5:5, Dan. 4:37
Worry- 1 Peter 5:7, Phil. 4:7-6
speech- James 1:26, Eph. 4:29-5:2
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2003-10-16, 8:06 AM #4
That because JA is able to handle higher resolution shadows. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrawn42689:
GothicX is the best n00b ever.
</font>
2003-10-16, 9:40 AM #5
So, anyone know the resolutions of the lightmaps, then?

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2003-10-16, 12:05 PM #6
No, the resolution of the lightmaps is the same, 128x128. The reason JA MP looks better than JO MP is because JO was bugged to **** and didn't render lightmaps properly, among other things.

JA also has new shader effects, ARIOCHE terrain, a lot of new entities and is overall less buggy.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.

↑ Up to the top!