Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → Differences between JO and Academy?
Differences between JO and Academy?
2003-12-28, 7:42 PM #1
What a learning curve - I finally get a good grip on JED and level editing for JK, then this comes out and I have to "Unlearn...what I have learned." Anyway...I've got Jedi Academy, and I'm using JK2Radiant for editing. So far, I've been following Rich Diesal's tutorial (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/index.html), and it's really helped a lot - unfortunately, there are quite a few things that are referenced in the tutorials that I simply can't find - case in point, sounds (doors sliding, water running, steam, as well as ambient noise.) In the tutorial, it says to look for a sound.txt file in the /sounds folder - but neither that folder nor the file seems to exist on my hard drive. I did a full install of the game itself, as well as a full install of JK2Radiant and it's accompanying toolset patch. Where, oh where, have the sound effects gone?

------------------
What do you do when you rear-end someone? Hang up your cell phone...HANG UP AND DRIVE, STUPID
2003-12-28, 8:44 PM #2
www.qeradiant.com

Drop JK2radiant, and get the latest GtkRadiant. You will be glad you did.

As for the sounds, you really just need to look in the assets.pk3 files in the base folder using winzip or winrar(i find winrar to be a lot easier). Look for the folder called 'sounds' and find your sound effect and use that filepath as your sound.

------------------
There are two asses in Massassi... and I'm one of them.
The Matrix Unplugged|The Valley of the Jedi Tower|Smaug's Lair
2003-12-29, 4:06 AM #3
Thanks for that info - I didn't know the assets files had to be unzipped in order to find the files (they didn't show up when simply viewing the file list.) No biggie...on the other note, how different is GTK from JK2Radiant? Secondly, do I have to completely un-install JK2Radiant to install GTK?

------------------
What do you do when you rear-end someone? Hang up your cell phone...HANG UP AND DRIVE, STUPID
2003-12-29, 4:50 AM #4
You don't need to uninstall JK2. But GTKradiant is much better in many ways.

-GTKradiant has an undo option.
-GTKradiant has a better compiler.
-GTKradiant handles terrain better.
-GTKradiant comes with better plugins (like brush cleanup)
-GTKradiant handles models better.
-GTKradiant has less brush problems.
-GTKradiant won't randomly delete files.
-and do on...

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2003-12-30, 7:54 AM #5
Thanks - I just installed GTK [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif] I like the fact that it's a multi-platform editor, I've got several of the games listed (although I doubt I'll have time to do any editing other than for JA right now; having two toddlers running around kinda limits my playtime.)

Thanks again for the help [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2004-01-02, 4:32 AM #6
can you two use GTK radiant for JK2 JO

------------------
-thank you man, raly appriciate it
2004-01-05, 5:46 PM #7
Yep - GTK works for all (or most) games that are based on the Quake III engine, which includes JO.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!