Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → Model importing....
Model importing....
2004-05-10, 3:46 PM #1
I'm too lazy to look (actually, I'm rather busy), but I was wondering if, as a work around to the brush # limit, if anyone has tried to make a level solely out of imported models? Is there a model limit?

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
Math is infinitely finite, while the universe is finitely infinite. PI = QED
2004-05-10, 4:02 PM #2
Level made out of model completely? I don't think the compiler is going to like that. I don't know if there is a model limit (I guess when your computer can't take it anymore.) But, without brushes, your map leaks and doesn't render properly.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

-------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-05-10, 6:50 PM #3
Well, I meant setting it up similer to how I set up JK levels. Create one very large Box. This is what will hold all the models. terrain, buildings, everything. JK handles it very well, I was just wondering if the same was true for JO/JA...

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
2004-05-10, 11:24 PM #4
Possible, but the models are nonsolid. You'll have to manually place clip brushes, as well, you'll have to do a lot of hinting and antiportalling to properly VIS the map.

Besides, 32k brushes IS a lot..
2004-05-11, 7:37 AM #5
Wait a sec. Are you telling me that there is no collide detection for modesl in JO/JA?

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
2004-05-11, 7:57 AM #6
For those models, I think no. Players can't pass through models with clipping around it.

------------------

-------@%

[This message has been edited by Echoman (edited May 11, 2004).]
2004-05-11, 1:23 PM #7
No light collision, either. And, Friend, what you want to do, is souley what brushes ARE. The way you edit JK is basically JA brushes. And, like gothicx said, 32k is quite a bit. A whole lot more than JK's measly limit, even with the TCS.

JediKirby

------------------
"I was driving along listening to the radio, when Judas Priest comes on. It was 'You've got another thing coming.' All of a sudden, I enter 'VICE CITY RAMAGE MODE' and nearly ran some guy over"
- ]-[ellequin
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-05-11, 5:16 PM #8
Actually, no, the TCS cogs completly eliminate the thing limit when used correctly. So, Unlimited > 32k. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] But this is all besides the point. I didn't start this thread to compare JK to JO/JA, I started this thread to learn more about JO/JA and the potential that I might start editing it instead.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
For those models, I think no. Players can't pass through models with clipping around it.</font>

What models? Statics such as buildings, trees, terrain, ect?

Okay, I'm going to assume the worse case senerio and assume 'Yes' was the answer tot hat question. Is there any way to create and destroy these brushes, similier to the TCS cogs (or maybe simplier)?

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
2004-05-11, 5:47 PM #9
Static models (misc_model) I mean. Unless "clipping" brushes are added or you use the annoying option for the model to clip itself, the model becomes "nonsolid."

You can make those brushes "disappear" and "appear" with properly used scripting or triggers (I think).

Also, terrain isn't a model. It is triangular brushes assembled to look like terrain.

Lastly, I don't know if a map contains an entity limit because models act as entities. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------

-------@%

2004-05-11, 6:42 PM #10
use .ASE models.

there is a way to make the model solid but I've never done it.
go ask on the splash damage forums.

divide you map into sections and convert them to .ASE models and piece them together.

screenshot of .ase test map in q3

------------------
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."

Grace is the Pleasure of God to magnify the Worth of God by
enabling sinners to delight in God without compromising the Glory of God.
-J. Piper
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2004-05-11, 7:23 PM #11
No, no, no. <shakes head> Ugh, now I know why I don't frequent this forum...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
You can make those brushes "disappear" and "appear" with properly used scripting or triggers (I think).[/quote[

But that would still go against the brush limit, right? Remember, I'm looking for a work around for that limit.

Quote:
Also, terrain isn't a model. It is triangular brushes assembled to look like terrain.</font>

Actually, it can be either. I use Models as terrain in JK vs the cleave technique as seen in DarthJ's tutorial. Idealy, the same would/could be done in JO/JA.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Lastly, I don't know if a map contains an entity limit because models act as entities. </font>

Might be a good time for somebody to find out...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by djwguitarman:
divide you map into sections and convert them to .ASE models and piece them together.</font>

Actually, it would be easier (from JED to JO/JA) to invert, use mirrormadness, export the entire level as single 3do, then convert as needed.

The terrain, I would just convert and import as needed from whatever software I end up using to make it. The buildings, the same way.

But, again, that's not what I'm getting at. I'm looking for a feasible and reliable way around the brush limit, if possible.

I'm still curious as to why imported static models do not have colide detection. Is this by default or hard coded (or both)?

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.

[This message has been edited by Friend14 (edited May 11, 2004).]
2004-05-11, 7:48 PM #12
I've heard that .ASE models have colide detection by default but I've never gotten it to work.
Here's a sample map that has a single .ase file used to create the terrain.

.md3 models will not have colilsion by default, after they are compile it's just textured triangles floating, no colision stuff.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Actually, it would be easier (from JED to JO/JA) to invert, use mirrormadness, export the entire level as single 3do, then convert as needed</font>

well I was assuming the level was already made in GTK since your hitting the limit,
it would make more sense to me to just convert what was already made to .ase and you're there.

does that make sense?

model terrain is the only way I can think of to get past that limit.
I'm certain it's possible to give the model collision but I've never done it so I can't give alot of help,

again the splash damage forum is the place to look, you might be able to find your answer just by searching.

------------------

Grace is the Pleasure of God to magnify the Worth of God by
enabling sinners to delight in God without compromising the Glory of God.
-J. Piper
2004-05-11, 8:24 PM #13
Ah, finally.

Okay, I'm looking into it now...

Thanks!

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
2004-05-11, 11:46 PM #14
You can auto-clip a model by adding spawnflags 2 or 6 to its properties. 2 is auto-clipping, 4 is lightmapping, so if you add 4 to every model, you're rid of that yucky vertex-lighting as well. However, spawnflags 2 is a Q3Map2 feature, and has a LOT of bugs, and as Ydnar stated before, only use it on large, basic models, such as terrain.

↑ Up to the top!