Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → Model making
Model making
2004-05-26, 9:42 PM #1
how do people make models?
i want to make a ship and i know u have to have a special program. please give a hyperlink to a place where i can download it.
or just give a location.

If money was a chicken, would a chicken be evil?
2004-05-27, 2:50 AM #2
Well, I'm not much of a modeler, but I am getting into it.

I think the best free program availible is -
-Blender3d www.blender3d.com

Another program that is free, though I don't have as much expeirence with is Gmax (google it)

And last but not least, you can make models in radaint, using the ASE converter. You'll find a tutorial here.
-http://wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2#Creating_an_.ase_model_out_of_brushwork

You'll see that this meathod was used by Sine Noman on this Tie Fighter model.
-http://forums.massassi.net/html/Forum5/HTML/011369.html

------------------
"Whats your name"
Cody
"No, whats your real name"
Arkon............
Proud member of the Co-op
Flipsides crackers are the best crackers to have ever existed
2004-05-27, 4:55 AM #3
You need some expensive program like 3dmax to export the models to JA/JO. (I think)

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

-------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-05-27, 6:51 AM #4
well, there are third party exporters for Gmax, that will export to .md3

------------------
"Whats your name"
Cody
"No, whats your real name"
Arkon............
Proud member of the Co-op
Flipsides crackers are the best crackers to have ever existed
2004-05-27, 1:25 PM #5
At the Gmax site, there is an official plugin called "Tempest" that lets you export to .md3. There is a tutorial here on exporting them, I think.

------------------
Have you ever been philosophical? It's pretty fun.
Well don't just sit there, REPLY!!!
2004-05-29, 1:57 PM #6
3dsmax is only required for player models.
and I do not recomend gmax. it can do alot but the learning curve is awful.
Milkshape is my prefered program. it's very easy to use and for creating md3s it's just perfect.
it costs $25 but there is a 30 day trial.
and it comes with all the plugins you need to make map objects for most all q3 games.

------------------
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."

Grace is the Pleasure of God to magnify the Worth of God by
enabling sinners to delight in God without compromising the Glory of God.
-J. Piper
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2004-05-30, 8:57 AM #7
Seriously, I need a cookie for every time I post this.

JediKirby

------------------
<]-[ellequin> Nothing is quite as satisfying as placing a .177 lead pellet in between the eyes of a cat.
<]-[ellequin> I think I will leave it's corpse there, to warn all the other cats to keep out of my hibiscus patch

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-05-30, 9:37 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spi Waterwing:
At the Gmax site, there is an official plugin called "Tempest" that lets you export to .md3. There is a tutorial here on exporting them, I think.

</font>

The problem with Tempest is that it requires vanilla Quake III: Arena, and won't install without it (most of the files that tempest works with are torn out of the Pak0.pk3 file). I guess to get it to work, you could always try to install my changing the assets files in JO/JA to the names of the pak files. otherwise, i'm out of suguestions.

------------------
"Iraqniphobia - The fear of non-existant weapons of mass-destruction."
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2004-05-31, 8:27 AM #9
What in the world are you people babbling about? If you can make an OBJ, you can convert it into ANY format via almost ANY free modeling program. It's not all that difficult..

JediKirby

------------------
<]-[ellequin> Nothing is quite as satisfying as placing a .177 lead pellet in between the eyes of a cat.
<]-[ellequin> I think I will leave it's corpse there, to warn all the other cats to keep out of my hibiscus patch

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ

↑ Up to the top!