Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → Newbie Probs
Newbie Probs
2004-06-10, 11:44 AM #1
Ok, so I've been playing with JKRadiant, for JO, for about 3 days now, and I put together a pretty decent MP duel map, though not totally finished yet. Problem is, most of my floors sound like your walking through water when you walk around on them. I use IMPDETENTION/METAL as my floor texture for just about everything, and I can't figure out why it does that. I have another problem, but I'd rather solve this one first.

Lt. Snake

[This message has been edited by ltsnake (edited June 10, 2004).]
Is it ok if I frag you?
2004-06-10, 1:05 PM #2
Get rid of that JKradiant. Real men don't use it.

Instead try GTKradiant for JO/JA at www.qeradiant.com Find the download area and get the editor for JO.

If the shader has that water sound thing, use a different texture. (JKRadiant glitch?)

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

--------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-06-10, 4:10 PM #3
Whats the difference between the two editors, and how do I know if my texture is using a shader?
Is it ok if I frag you?
2004-06-11, 3:28 AM #4
GTK is better, compiles nicer (uses q3map2), more stable, better plugins, etc.

Shaders are textures with white boxes around them.

------------------

--------@%

2004-06-11, 4:28 AM #5
Thats all well and nice, but why does my cam window show little cubes?? When I loaded up my map in Gtk, the cam window shows little cubes everywhere, not fully textured brushes. How do I change the way the cam renders?
Is it ok if I frag you?
2004-06-11, 8:33 AM #6
Cubes? Blue ones? No texture?

Select a good working texture and make sure you pointed the editor to the right paths of the JO folder*.

I also not sure how well a map made in JKraidant is transered to GTKradiant.

*To check the paths, go to File then Project settings. Next to base path should be the path of your JO folder.

Example: C:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars Jedi Knight JKII Jedi Outcast/GameData/base

------------------

--------@%

2004-06-11, 10:05 AM #7
It transfers so so, but definately use GTKRadiant from now on.
To get rid of the water sound, try looking at the entity properties of your worldspawn (N key with no brushes selected, then select "worldspawn" in the entity window.) A soundset key might change it, but that's a wild guess. A shader would do it too...and that texture is a shader. Try putting some variety in your maps, don't just use that one shader!

------------------
Have you ever been philosophical? It's pretty fun.
Well don't just sit there, REPLY!!!
2004-06-11, 10:34 AM #8
I have checked my file routes, and I have uninstalled/reinstalled Gtk

Problems:

In my CAM window, I don't see brushes unless there highlighted. If I make a brush and hollow it into a room, all I see are little cubes of various colors at the corners of my room.

My edit windows seem fine, its just the render window.

My next problem is the BSP menu. It doesn't say things like "Full Vis". It says stuff like "Q3Map2: (simulate old style -light -extra)BSP -meta, -vis, -light, -super 2". What the hell kind of option is that? And all the other BSP options are weird too.

Any ideas?

BTW, in the time it took to get help with this, I totally finished a new duel map in JKRadiant. :P [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Is it ok if I frag you?

[This message has been edited by ltsnake (edited June 11, 2004).]
Is it ok if I frag you?
2004-06-12, 3:55 PM #9
Q3map2 kicks the JKradiant's compiler any day. But they all compile.

------------------

--------@%

2004-06-12, 5:24 PM #10
Thats great, but doesn't solve any of my CAM problems.

------------------
Is it ok if I frag you?
Is it ok if I frag you?
2004-06-13, 8:32 AM #11
hm i might be at view...

Then go to show/hide or filter or something, it might be on there.

------------------
/fluffle
/fluffle
2004-06-13, 9:25 AM #12
View>Filter turns viewing certain things on or off. Or there is also a little button with a grey box on it on one of the toolbars that changes the texture view mode.

Q3MAP2 is the compiler that GTK uses. It's much better than SOF2MAP, which is what you're used to. BSP (final) is the rough equivilent of BSP Fullvis. RichDiesal at www.jedioutcastmaps.com has a tutorial on the compiling process for JK2Radiant, but the terminology carries over to GTK ,so you can still see what the compiling types are.

The little blue squares that have been mentioned are the default texture for GTKRadiant. I believe JK2Radiant had intersecting blue lines as the default. Just select the brush and click the texture you want to choose a different one.

------------------
2004-06-13, 12:40 PM #13
Sounds like you accidentally hit a hotkey to hide either structural (seems like this is the case) or detail brushes. Like it's been said before, you need to go to view, then filter. Check to see what is checked in the list, and you should find your solution.

------------------
Current Maps | Inclusion | Restless Endeavor

There is a thin line between insanity and stupidity. I am that line.
Current Maps | Newest Map
2004-06-13, 5:19 PM #14
I checked all my view options, and its all the same as my JKR setup. As for the compile menu, none say full, but 3 say "final" in them. As for Rich's tut, I already have that bookmarked. This is pissin me off. >.< Lookin at the Gtk options and interface, it looks so much more friendly, but I'm stuck with JKR for now.

------------------
Is it ok if I frag you?
Is it ok if I frag you?
2004-06-14, 3:42 AM #15
You may have it set to display the brushes as wireframes. Check that little gray box.

------------------
2004-06-14, 6:38 AM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> This is pissin me off. >.< Lookin at the Gtk options and interface, it looks so much more friendly, but I'm stuck with JKR for now.

</font>

Have fun crashing the program and not able to do many things. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------

--------@%

↑ Up to the top!