Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → Editing enemy A.I. in outcast?
Editing enemy A.I. in outcast?
2004-06-27, 7:59 AM #1
Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to edit the enemy A.I. in Jedi Outcast. I searched through the forums briefly and also the tutorials and articles section and couldn't find anything. Is this possible? If so, could anyone suggest a place to find more information?

Thanks
2004-06-27, 8:39 AM #2
The most you have in singleplayer are the NPC files. They let you define several key attributes, not all of them seem to make a difference. You can get interesting combinations going, especially with scripting. For example, I took a shadowtrooper and using a script set his weapon to be a stormtrooper rifle. The result? A stormtrooper AI with a stormtrooper rifle, but with a cloaked model that only uncloaked when they died. AI is based on current weapon and the other attributes in the NPC file.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-06-27, 9:36 AM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
The most you have in singleplayer are the NPC files. They let you define several key attributes, not all of them seem to make a difference. You can get interesting combinations going, especially with scripting. For example, I took a shadowtrooper and using a script set his weapon to be a stormtrooper rifle. The result? A stormtrooper AI with a stormtrooper rifle, but with a cloaked model that only uncloaked when they died. AI is based on current weapon and the other attributes in the NPC files.
</font>

Thanks for the reply, Emon. How limited is the kind of information you can edit in an NPC file? Ideally, I'd like to be able to play around with the enemy tactics -- i.e. when to attack, when to retreat, behavior when more than one enemy is present, etc. Is it possible to edit this kind of stuff, or is this hardcoded into the game?

[This message has been edited by Bootstrap (edited June 27, 2004).]
2004-06-27, 10:16 AM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bootstrap:
Thanks for the reply, Emon. How limited is the kind of information you can edit in an NPC file? Ideally, I'd like to be able to play around with the enemy tactics -- i.e. when to attack, when to retreat, behavior when more than one enemy is present, etc. Is it possible to edit this kind of stuff, or is this hardcoded into the game?</font>

Fortunately, these are the kind of things you can control to a significant degree with scripting, if you have the patience and will to do it.

------------------
Frozen by ICARUS
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-06-27, 10:31 AM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Is it possible to edit this kind of stuff, or is this hardcoded into the game?</font>

Yes it is possible, but not without a good deal of C++ knowledge to rewrite the backend code. Some of it can be done with generic scripting though but not everything.

------------------
600th Post.

[This message has been edited by Freyr (edited June 27, 2004).]
Free your mind, use Open Source.
2004-06-27, 12:28 PM #6
You can't in SP, and rewriting it in MP takes far too long and would end up being far buggier, especially with all the MP engine bugs to boot.

------------------
2004-06-27, 2:35 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">You can't in SP</font>

Actually a good deal of the AI and NPC parsing routines are shared between SP and MP.

------------------
600th Post.
Free your mind, use Open Source.
2004-06-27, 4:34 PM #8
Yes, and SP not being editable. Again, recreating a good SP environment in MP isn't worth it. There's too much crap in the way.

JA on the other hand, is much more reasonable, but with the community in less than stellar state, I wonder if that'll get anywhere. OJP is the leading project on such things.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!