Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → JA briefings and other stuff
JA briefings and other stuff
2004-06-27, 4:07 AM #1
I just got Jedi Academy about 3 days ago. I finshed the game in +- 1 day. I have started to map for it and I have tried to make scripts. I was wondering; does anybody know how to put a briefing up? Also, does anybody know how to make entities do the typing motion? And lastly, can anybody give me any help with objective editing for JO?! I followed Kengos tutorial but it wont let me make <SET_TYPE>OBJECTIVE it only comes up as INCLUDE ERROR. I reread the directions and followed every step but its not working! Any help is appreciated!

------------------
Jedi rocks rule the house...
YEAH YEAH YEAH
YEAH YEAH YEAH
2004-06-27, 5:08 AM #2
I had that same problem for JO objectives. Just open one of the objective files already used in the game (I think the .TXT versions come with BehavEd) and edit it to your liking, saving as somthing else. The rest of Kengo's Tutorial is right on.

------------------
Have you ever been philosophical? It's pretty fun.
Well don't just sit there, REPLY!!!
2004-06-27, 7:32 AM #3
Let's get this straight: You got JA a few days ago, but you want help with objective editing for JO? Is that right?

Well, is it right or not, you set objectives with script commands. However, the objective texts are themselves listed in strings/objectives.str string file. You can have you own objectives by editing the text part of existing objectives. Don't edit the entry names, because the preset entry names are used in scripts. Keep the file name intact, and ship your version of the file along with your level.

If you get errors in BehavEd, it means your paths are not correct. Go to prefs and set them to point to right directories. And notice there are some differences between JO and JA, and Kengo's tutorial is for JO.

In JO the BehavEd source files were located in gamesource directory. Your JA gamesource directory is, however, empty and the files are in sourceforbehaved directory. This is your most likely source of errors.

Yeah. Briefings are in the briefings.str file. Just add your own entry there following the examples aplenty. Don't rename the edited file, but ship it along with your level.

EDIT: The purpose of editing is editing for editing's sake.

------------------
Frozen by ICARUS

[This message has been edited by lassev (edited June 27, 2004).]
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2004-06-27, 3:13 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lassev:
Let's get this straight: You got JA a few days ago, but you want help with objective editing for JO? Is that right?

Well, is it right or not, you set objectives with script commands. However, the objective texts are themselves listed in strings/objectives.str string file. You can have you own objectives by editing the text part of existing objectives. Don't edit the entry names, because the preset entry names are used in scripts. Keep the file name intact, and ship your version of the file along with your level.

If you get errors in BehavEd, it means your paths are not correct. Go to prefs and set them to point to right directories. And notice there are some differences between JO and JA, and Kengo's tutorial is for JO.

In JO the BehavEd source files were located in gamesource directory. Your JA gamesource directory is, however, empty and the files are in sourceforbehaved directory. This is your most likely source of errors.

Yeah. Briefings are in the briefings.str file. Just add your own entry there following the examples aplenty. Don't rename the edited file, but ship it along with your level.

EDIT: The purpose of editing is editing for editing's sake.

</font>

Ok, first off, let me thank you for your help. It was the gamescource file that was missing from prefs. Secondly, the objective SET_OBJECTIVE still wont show. In the bottom status area of behavED it says "enum tag 'Tactical_e' not found in include file D:/Program Files/Jedi Outcast/GameData/Tools/gamesource/objectives.h"

------------------
YEAH YEAH YEAH
YEAH YEAH YEAH
2004-06-27, 9:21 PM #5
So, you are editing JO? I don't really remember that much from my own JO editing days - whether there were some problems or not. I can only suggest one thing: Check that the objectives.h is indeed in the gamesource directory. If it's there, then I don't honestly have any idea what's going on.

EDIT: Edited away serious misinformation...

------------------
Frozen by ICARUS

[This message has been edited by lassev (edited June 28, 2004).]
Frozen in the past by ICARUS

↑ Up to the top!