Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → A string of problems really.
A string of problems really.
2004-08-29, 2:20 PM #1
Hi, im new here and also new to editing.

Ill skip the crap and get straight to the problem, i am adding new npcs to the single player of jedi academy, which is pretty simple, editing there parameters (health, weapons, force and so on). But there are a couple of things i need to know but im not sure how or if they can be done, i will be grateful if you can help me, here they are:

1.How can i edit the files so that the npc doesnt fall to their death as soon as they jump off a ledge without editing the script file,
2.how can i make it so that they are a little less stupid and follow you where ever you go and dont just stop and not jump to a place where you jump,
3.and finally how can i make it so they heal to full health straight after a battle and not just heal once then wait a minute before doing it again. Maybe a little confusing, sorry [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

These are probably quite easy to sort out, and im sorry if they are.

Thanks in advance

[This message has been edited by lally (edited August 29, 2004).]
2004-08-30, 1:51 AM #2
1-Without scripting? Well there (I think) is a "custion" shader you could apply so NPCs and the player who not feel the damage of the fall on a surface.

2-Well. Through scripting, you can select the "leader" for the NPC to follow. So set that to you, and the NPC will follow.

If enemy, maybe, in the scripts set, SET_CHASE_ENEMIES to true.

Also, remember to set NPC waypoints. They help with the following.

But the basic behavior is lock in the source code.

3-I don't know how to set how frequent a jedi uses force-heal. I don't think you could change exactly when to heal. Maybe in source code.

:/

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-08-30, 2:37 AM #3
Thanks for the info, do you know how to set the leader to me and also arent shaders just for the model? And not for scripting uses?
2004-08-30, 6:01 AM #4
1-Look in the Icarus Manual and in the program for BS_FOLLOW_LEADER. Then set the value to you. (I think)

2-Shaders aren't only for models. The skybox is a shader, the water is a shader, areaportal brushes are shaders, noclip brushes are shaders, glass is a shader and so on. You can work with certain shaders through scripting.

------------------

---------@%

The Massassi JO/JA Single Player contest info (I don't know why I have this still in my sig)
2004-08-30, 6:04 AM #5
I think he's trying to edit the original SP campaign.
2004-08-30, 7:50 AM #6
Because the last few levels suck, what with the possibility for a mass army battle, but the friendly jedi are so freaking stupid, that they won't jump up 2 feet to the next platform to help me out.

JediKirby

------------------
jEDIkIRBY - Putting the Romance back into Necromancer.
Proud Leader of the Minnessassian Council

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-30, 12:20 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
Because the last few levels suck, what with the possibility for a mass army battle, but the friendly jedi are so freaking stupid, that they won't jump up 2 feet to the next platform to help me out.

JediKirby

</font>

That is exactly the problem i'm on about!

Thanks for the info Echoman but the follow the leader trick didnt work.

If anyone has any ideas please post here thanks!
2004-08-30, 3:49 PM #8
Are you editing scripts or the npc.cfg file??

------------------

---------@%

2004-08-31, 6:32 AM #9
The NPC cfg file where you set the force, reactions, aim and health etc.

But i put the follow the leader thing in the npc script file but it did not do anything.
2004-08-31, 7:13 AM #10
I'm pretty sure there's specifically something in their scripts that tell them to not follow you after a certain point. I've actually gripped an NPC up onto my platform to help me fight a dark jedi, and he jumped back down (killing himself) to his old and former spot. Yet, when I go dark and enter that level, and jump up on the same spot, they come up there and attack me. I think the JA crew didn't want you to acumulate an army, and just have a bit of help here and there to make the level seem more realistic. As well, FPS lowers dramatically when you get a poopload of jedi in one area at once, at least for me. By poopload, I mean 40-50 light jedi, and about 60 DJ.

JediKirby

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-08-31, 7:24 AM #11
Wow, i wish i could spawn that many but my computer is poop and slows down when there are 4 light jedi and 4 dark jedi fighting, but there is a trick i have learned, if i was a ledge above an ally, i would use force pull on them which they put there hand up to stop then about a second later they jump up to the ledge, but this doesnt always work and isnt as fun as the ally do it himself.

If anyone knows how to solve this issue post in this thread please, this is for single player by the way.
2004-08-31, 7:45 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jEDIkIRBY:
I'm pretty sure there's specifically something in their scripts that tell them to not follow you after a certain point. I've actually gripped an NPC up onto my platform to help me fight a dark jedi, and he jumped back down (killing himself) to his old and former spot. Yet, when I go dark and enter that level, and jump up on the same spot, they come up there and attack me. I think the JA crew didn't want you to acumulate an army, and just have a bit of help here and there to make the level seem more realistic. As well, FPS lowers dramatically when you get a poopload of jedi in one area at once, at least for me. By poopload, I mean 40-50 light jedi, and about 60 DJ.

JediKirby

</font>

Scripting does not equal editing the npc.cfg file. It doesn't handle much extensive behavior ablities.

------------------

---------@%

2004-08-31, 11:06 AM #13
Scripted, coded. Whatever. I meant that they are commanded to be idiots, it's not their AI.

------------------

Live on, Adam.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2004-09-02, 3:39 AM #14
I think that the coding, scripting and the .cfg file is changing eachother. When you change aggresive to 5. the coding knows its agressive, then it will look to any of the scripts that are on that single NPC and then it will make a AI for that NPC

------------------
So...
"007...Whats your name"
"The name is bond...James Bond"
"No, i mean your other codename"
"Dont tell this any further. Its need help"
2004-09-02, 12:26 PM #15
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------

---------@%

2004-09-02, 10:51 PM #16
What Need help said is most likely true. The AI isn't, after all, nothing more than a pathfinding algorithm, which is always the same (=sucks big time), and then behavioral patterns. Those behavior modifiers are based on the NPC config file, like "reactions" or "intelligence", which control pretty simple things in game. After that, the default behavior variables are affected or overwritten by scripting commands like set_lockedenemy, set_ignorepain, and others. Summed up, these all together form the AI of the NPC.

------------------
Frozen by ICARUS
Frozen in the past by ICARUS

↑ Up to the top!