Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → Player stand still?
Player stand still?
2004-12-30, 7:00 AM #1
How can I get the player (in SP) to stand still but be able to look around?
2004-12-30, 1:55 PM #2
???

More info please?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-12-31, 2:01 AM #3
Like when Kyle in Jedi Outcast talks to a prisioner (not in a cinematic). You cant move Kyle but you can make him turn around.
This is for Jedi Academy by the way.
2004-12-31, 5:51 AM #4
Make a trigger_once and give it a wait time of one or something, target the trigger_once at a target_scriptrunner and give the scriptrunner the key: "usescript" and the value: "NAMEFORSCRIPT".

Start BehaveEd and make a new script. first add the line:
Code:
affect ( "NONE", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )

What this line actualy does is saying that the script needs to affect a certain entity, because it needs to affect the player, change it into
Code:
affect ( "PLAYER", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )

so it will affect the player

then drop a 'SET statement' on the 'Affect line', it will get into the 'affect player' so the statement will affect the player.
Change the statement into
Code:
set ( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_PLAYER_LOCKED", /*@BOOL_TYPES*/ "true" );

Set player looked (look at the discription) says that the player cant move...this says nothing about looking.

Then add a wait command with a specific value...mine is for example:
Code:
wait ( 12000.000 );

This line says that the script need to wait 12000 miliseconds to continu the script (thats 12 seconds).

Then clone the line:
Code:
( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_PLAYER_LOCKED", /*@BOOL_TYPES*/ "true" );

and place it under the wait command...but now, change true to false so it will look like this:
Code:
( /*@SET_TYPES*/ "SET_PLAYER_LOCKED", /*@BOOL_TYPES*/ "false" );

What the script does now is:
1. make certain it affects the player
2. Lock the player from mooving
3. wait 12 seconds
4. Let the player move again
2004-12-31, 7:20 AM #5
hehehe, so need help, you can script. My expectations of your work rise every day,
Flipsides crackers are the best crackers to have ever existed
2004-12-31, 9:51 AM #6
Yes it worked! thanks

Just one more little thing, i need a custom sound to be activated when the player touches the trigger brush, how can this be done?
2004-12-31, 5:14 PM #7
A trigger brush to a target_speaker I assume.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-01-01, 3:15 AM #8
Thankyou 4 that amazinging detailed reply, anyone else?
2005-01-01, 4:19 AM #9
Study the Raven example maps shipped with GTK. You don't want to ask every simple thing here. It's too slow a way to learn things like this. Trust me. I never did it - for a reason.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-01-01, 7:46 AM #10
I didnt even realise that raven put some of their maps with radiant, damn! cause they r so useful.
Thanks for saying that lassev, thats helped me more than anything.
2005-01-01, 11:20 AM #11
and you can always *cough* decompile *cough*, them. BUT NEVER STEAL ANYTHING OF THERE WORK!

BTW. like everyboody, nobody likes to learn scripting. Just start with a little (cutscene's), and go on to difficult things (moving brushes, big cutscene's)
2005-01-03, 6:55 AM #12
For an honest way of doing things instead of need helps little way :p: you can always just ask the creators. http://levelforge.teamhuh.com/forgelink

At least 3 raven software memebers reply on those forums. They can help you out.
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2005-01-03, 9:58 AM #13
oooh cheers now this looks good:p

↑ Up to the top!