Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → Shader Help...
Shader Help...
2005-03-15, 9:41 PM #1
Im in need of some shader help.

I need to know how to do a simple two framed keyframed animation as a shader. And while im asking about shaders how do you make a transparent one? I know you have to make the part you want unseen black but other than that Im clueless as to what code to put in. Thanks.

Xizor
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2005-03-16, 11:56 AM #2
You can make transparent shaders using a program like Photoshop and alpha-channeling it. Then write a shader for the .tga file.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-03-16, 1:25 PM #3
Quote:
Originally posted by Prince Xizor
I need to know how to do a simple two framed keyframed animation as a shader. And while im asking about shaders how do you make a transparent one? I know you have to make the part you want unseen black but other than that Im clueless as to what code to put in. Thanks.

Xizor

The only way to make animated shaders, if you don't count tcMods as animations, is animmap command, which lets you enter up to eight images for an animation of a speed you define.

Like with alpha channeled transparent shaders, you just need to study some Raven examples to see the tricks, AND naturally visit q3map2 Shader manual, if for no other reason then to see how the animation speed is defined.

Naturally you can have more than one animmap stage in a shader. Needless to say, this isn't a way to boost FPS... ;)
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-03-16, 4:38 PM #4
Thank you much!
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2005-03-16, 5:03 PM #5
Oh I almost forgot. How do you make shaders that appear to be a shiny surface. like a mirror except you can still see the texture. Jedi Academy has quite a few of these.
2005-03-17, 1:24 AM #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Prince Xizor
Oh I almost forgot. How do you make shaders that appear to be a shiny surface. like a mirror except you can still see the texture. Jedi Academy has quite a few of these.

tcGen environment.

This is a great method. It gives you a shiny surface without overly taxing the engine. A real mirror floor doubles the work the engine must do, but I would guess this "fake" shine only makes a surface moderately harder for the game.

Just study some existing Raven shaders. Needless to say, this also gives you some nice artistic possibilities, since you must have another image for the fake shine.
2005-03-17, 8:14 AM #7
well normally when i do shader editing i can change the way it looks just by opening the shader file....like if i want it shiny, or transparent, i'll check the box next to forcefield, that's how lucasarts made glass see thru, and many other things...
Join the Full Game Enhancement Mod Today...
Visit Our Forums
2005-03-17, 9:23 PM #8
ok...
2005-03-18, 5:55 AM #9
the shader in the clones spack at jk2files.com for JA has a wonderful shader that uses a textrure.
2005-03-18, 8:34 AM #10
Quote:
Originally posted by dacheat
the shader in the clones spack at jk2files.com for JA has a wonderful shader that uses a textrure.

Oh, yes. I believe I also know one or two shaders that use textures. :rolleyes:

↑ Up to the top!