Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → *whistles*
*whistles*
2005-05-23, 6:18 AM #1
So empty. :(
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-05-23, 8:14 AM #2
wtf
2005-05-23, 11:20 AM #3
Silent as a tomb. Even the whispers of the ghosts of old have become quiet. Nothing but memories remain, until they also have to bow to the inevitable flow of time that once erases everything.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-05-23, 12:40 PM #4
Lets look for some new noobs, to awnser their stupid questions, at least thats how i begun ;)
2005-05-23, 3:00 PM #5
Yeah.

I guess Massassi isn't terribly active in JA community much. What happened?
2005-05-23, 5:23 PM #6
You could always give JK another try... :o
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-05-23, 6:40 PM #7
JED?

*head explodes*

Actually, I really don't know where this thread is going. But company here is nice though.
2005-05-25, 12:48 PM #8
Hey guys. First post here. I've been coming to Massassi since I was 9 years old, I'm 15 now.
2005-05-25, 2:38 PM #9
HI
2005-05-26, 12:00 PM #10
Ok i'll bite...

I've been coming on and off since Jedi Knight. I've always wanted to write a single player mod of some sort.

When JO came out I thought now is my time because it all looked so good. But for some reason i never started.

Then JA came out and i really tried to get into it. Again no tools when i was interested.

So now years later i'm loosing my job next week and in the down time of looking for a new job i want to start getting into making a single player mod.

I've been searching for stuff to start but i feel at a loss. Do you know where i can read up on the general, generic, high level details about how and where to start. I'm not looking for specifics on mapping or cogs or anything like that. Not yet. But things like how JO is different than JA or maybe not so different. What are the processes etc that have to happen to create a single player mod blah blah blah.

So yea i'm a total noob.

Thanks for the time...

Hopsing
2005-05-26, 12:47 PM #11
Ah, hi.

First, JA isn't really different than JO. In fact, many things, including tutorials, applied in JO can be used in JA. They run on the same engine and, overall, pretty much very similar. Actually, a lot of things from JO are "leftover" from JO, including many models, sounds, textures and so on. You are even allowed, by Raven, to use JO files in JA. (not the other way around though.)

First, do you have some experience with 3d designing (like using CAD)?
2005-05-26, 1:12 PM #12
Technically no...

I've looked 3DS Max and have seen Maya. I've downlaoded Radiant before for JO, and JA as well as MoHAA and have made a box, textured it and had a single player spawn in it. That was for MoHAA though.

For what i've been able to gather is a single player mod is basically a bunch of maps. You tweak a couple files to 'get it to load your mod'. So you if you're cool you can probably patch all those together and such. If you're outstanding you can probably script up some in game movie type of things and maybe even create a story line.

As far as mapping goes its all new. I remember from JED that it was 'backwards'. I forget the exact term but if you wanted a bridge for example, you'd basically cut out the 'dead' space not the bridge or something like that.

so...that was a long useless answer lol.

Educate me 'oh dark lord of the sassi. (all respect of course)
2005-05-26, 1:19 PM #13
Greetings. My alias is still Sparrowhawk, and I'm still a newbie.

I really did plan to stick with it, but that accursed Star Wars Galaxies took hold of me. I don't think I can shed the shackles of this demon soon enough. At any rate, when I finally do, you can count on me having all in the nature of inane questions for you to answer. Positively maddening hijinks are sure to ensue.

As for your question, Hopsing.... (Hopsing? Does "Bonanza" mean anything to you, perchance?)

I still think the reigning king of Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy tutorials would be RichDiesel's unfinished series. They are most certainly dated, but are still a true classic and nearly a rite of passage now. I would reccomend skipping out on the editing tool he reccomends and going right to GTK-Radiant. The interface and a few of the commands are a bit different on each, but the same basic principles apply. When the questions do arise, the boards of Massassi, map-center.com, and LucasFiles should be helpful enough.

And now for links:

GTK-Radiant home- http://www.qeradiant.com/

There's still a few problems here and there with GTK and its treatment of JO/JA- I'd peruse the boards a bit and find out which version most JO/JA editors prefer at present, as some are more stable.

RichDiesel's Tutorials- http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/

This is the best I can find right now- If anybody's got a non-archived link, feel free to post it, or I'll try to make a mirror/download or something; I know I've got the files on a CD somewhere.

And some Others-
http://www.planetquake.com/qworkshop3/tutorials/
http://www.planetquake.com/bubba/mapping.html
http://map-review.com/index.php?page=tutorials
http://www.geocities.com/kengomaps/tutorials.html

Hope that helps you out, and even more hope that I did the cursed links right.
2005-05-26, 1:35 PM #14
thanks Sparrow...

Well the name Hopsing is just a nick some friends attached to me for some odd reason. It ended up sticking more than i wanted at the time...but i have fallen to its lure obviously. I am old enough to remember some banaza...so that dates me some.

Thanks a ton for the links. I'll be surfing those soon enough.

You can beat SWG...i'm almost 30 days galaxies free!!!

I was on the Kauri server, went by the name corewatch. Made jedi paddie on the current system and left about 3 days before CU because i just actually got tired of playing lol. Glad you have the forditude to keep playing.
2005-05-26, 8:54 PM #15
Okay, I've finally found the things in this cursed mess. I really need to organise these files someday.

I can't guarantee that this hastily-coded page or its download link is going to work, because nothing on this page ever works for me when I try to look at it the first few times, even though others say they never have problems.

Allow me to apologise in advance for the state of the files. The links will not function like thsoe of a normal web document due to the way I saved them, (don't ask, for I have no explaination) but all files are intact- you'll just have to open them separately.

http://sparrowhawk.dubl3.com/rdtutorials.html
2005-05-28, 6:45 PM #16
sweet. You found RD's tutorials. Maybe we should load them to Massassi.
2005-05-28, 7:21 PM #17
Quote:
Okay, I've finally found the things in this cursed mess. I really need to organise these files someday.

I can't guarantee that this hastily-coded page or its download link is going to work, because nothing on this page ever works for me when I try to look at it the first few times, even though others say they never have problems.

Allow me to apologise in advance for the state of the files. The links will not function like thsoe of a normal web document due to the way I saved them, (don't ask, for I have no explaination) but all files are intact- you'll just have to open them separately.

http://sparrowhawk.dubl3.com/rdtutorials.html

thanks bro got em...
2005-05-29, 8:47 AM #18
Echoman-

Glad to be of some service to the community- Let me know if you'd like the files altered in any way in order to facilitate ease of mirroring- it was my stupid method of saving them that messed the links up in the first place, anyway.

Hopsing-

Thanks for letting me know it all worked out. Those should be helpful. And don't forget to ask if you run into problems.

P.S. And guess who's cancelling their SWG account today, muahaha.
2005-05-30, 10:29 AM #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
Hopsing-

Thanks for letting me know it all worked out. Those should be helpful. And don't forget to ask if you run into problems.

P.S. And guess who's cancelling their SWG account today, muahaha.

OI that sorta bites...sorry it came to that for ya. That game is a huge investment time wise. Although i can honestly say i'm glad i'm done, it still haunts my soul sometimes.
2005-05-30, 11:32 AM #20
Also, those tutorials say to use JK2radiant, but still use GTKradiant.
2005-05-31, 5:47 PM #21
Yeah, we (or I, or whoever is most qualified) could write up some additional information to accompany them if you're really serious about re-hosting this stuff.

Just as long as Rich doesn't go Order 66 on us or something.
2005-05-31, 5:48 PM #22
But I do wonder, can Rich be contacted?
2005-05-31, 7:53 PM #23
Not likely. As far as I can tell, his website is gone, possibly for good.

I recall also having read that he gave up editing Jedi Outcast (and possibly other games) until something with realistic dynamic lighting came out. It was close to that, anyway.

At any rate, we might as well give it a shot- I can't argue with staying on the side of caution.
2005-06-01, 1:06 AM #24
Rich actually posted a thread on LucasForums some weeks ago asking if there's still need to keep the tutorials up. He got only positive feedback, but for some reason things seemed to stop there, anyway. Or who knows, maybe he's slowly looking for a host, in silence. But clearly he hasn't "let go" of his rights to his own stuff.

This was also the case a long time ago, when his very own site went down (after that, the tutorials were hosted by a helpful third party, but recently that went down as well, as we know). Back then, he wouldn't allow anybody to touch the tutorials, not to remove errors or add new stuff. He only allowed limited hosting of the files as they were by a single site he chose.
2005-06-01, 2:41 PM #25
can some one help me with a mod that has retarded error messages
2005-06-01, 4:03 PM #26
Quote:
who's the more retarded...the one who wrote the error messages or the one that reads them

you should probably give more information.
2005-06-01, 4:08 PM #27
it starts to load the game up then it goes back to my desktop and says "UI_SaberLoadParms: ran out of space before reading shield1.sab
(you must make the .npc files smaller)" but the mp part of it works just fine. the mod is melee mod 1.0
2005-06-01, 5:00 PM #28
You don't have to post your problem three damn times on the forum to get an answer.

Probably just take other conflicting mods from your game folder.
2005-06-01, 5:23 PM #29
the reason why i posted it on three forums was so i had a better chance at getting an answer. and i tried that i have no mods or extra maps or skins of any kind. the only alteration is the 1.01 patch
2005-06-01, 6:39 PM #30
You'd have had a better chance of getting an answer if you'd just started your own thread, but hey. Whatever.

Thanks for the update, Lassev. At least I know a place to start. I'll see what he's got to say about the matter. Until then, I'll leave the download up for the time being unless he smites me with a cease and desist.
2005-06-01, 6:45 PM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by samuraigoku
the reason why i posted it on three forums was so i had a better chance at getting an answer. and i tried that i have no mods or extra maps or skins of any kind. the only alteration is the 1.01 patch

Fisrt, posting your problem over the forums is against the rules (and illogical.)

Second, try downloading the mod over again. It may have been corrupted. Or reinstall JA.
2005-06-01, 6:55 PM #32
Quote:
You'd have had a better chance of getting an answer if you'd just started your own thread, but hey. Whatever.

Thanks for the update, Lassev. At least I know a place to start. I'll see what he's got to say about the matter. Until then, I'll leave the download up for the time being unless he smites me with a cease and desist.

Indeed. I hope RD eventually is seen.
2005-06-01, 10:15 PM #33
Quote:
Second, try downloading the mod over again. It may have been corrupted. Or reinstall JA.

do you think if i re downloaded the patch and repatched the game, would that work?
2005-06-02, 12:18 AM #34
Quote:

Yes, indeed. As much as I respect his rights to his own stuff, I do support you hosting them a bit unofficially. That guy has a kind of responsibility, after having established such a name for his bunch of tutorials. It's good they are online somewhere. It's too bad he has personally been so slow to handle the matter.

Quote:
Originally posted by samuraigoku
but the mp part of it works just fine. the mod is melee mod 1.0

Is the mod even supposed to have an SP part? Generally speaking if a mod with a sizable number of downloads and not excessive negative feedback doesn't work (I have no idea if this particular mod fulfills these descriptions), it's an end user problem.

Although mods usually always work (if the author knows what he's doing), I consider the releases still statistically succesful if they work for, say, 95% of downloaders. The remaining 5% is just a pity.
2005-06-02, 12:34 AM #35
Map-Review had permission from RichDiesal to host his tutorials, however, not to modify them in any way. And since some of those tutorials include information that's downright wrong, we decided not to host them - we, after all, don't want to have wrong info on our site.
2005-06-02, 11:49 AM #36
which stuff is 'downright wrong', as a noob i don't want to learn any of this wrong.
2005-06-02, 12:18 PM #37
i am willing to host it on a (not so really great named) server. He just needs to give me the HTML code and its fine!

for the ones that want to know the URL, gothicx, not smart for you to watch : http://home.hetnet.nl/~maxhenger
2005-06-03, 10:55 PM #38
all right people i figured out what the problem was for melee mod 1.0. when i updated from ja 1.0 to 1.01 i didnt rember that i had the game cracked so it wasnt loading up the game right, so i downloaded a new crack and now the game works fine. and let me tell you this mod made the game worth playing again.
2005-06-04, 9:11 AM #39
always pays to buy retail.

Plus its only maybe $20 bucks now...
2005-06-06, 10:27 AM #40
i did buy the game its just that 1. i dont kknow were the second disk is. and 2. my first disk is ****ed up, it has a dent in it. and 3. the bigest reason i have it cracked is because i go toa lots of lan parties.

↑ Up to the top!