Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → Brushes Giving Off Light? o.0
Brushes Giving Off Light? o.0
2007-03-25, 12:42 PM #1
hey ive been looking through a few tutorials and stuff and have come across the referred to brushes giving off light. Something about if you create a brush with the texture of a light, it would give of light or something like that.

:rant:
I regret to inform you...

Time2Die!
2007-03-25, 12:42 PM #2
oh what i meant to ask is how do you do that or is it posible?

Time2Die!
2007-03-25, 12:48 PM #3
Yes. You need a special shader that gives off light. Here's an example shader I use for the texture to give off light.

Code:
textures/MaDa/m_lightfixture1
{
	q3map_lightrgb	0.923506 0.935347 1.000000
	qer_editorimage	textures/MaDa/m_lightfixture1
	q3map_surfacelight	4580
	q3map_lightsubdivide	128
    {
        map $lightmap
    }
    {
        map textures/MaDa/m_lightfixture1
        blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
    }
    {
        map textures/MaDa/m_lightfixture1
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
	glow
    }
}

The lines that in bold give values to how the light is set. I use shader-based lighting more than regular entity lighting because it comes off more realistic (light comes from a surface looks better than some point in space).
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-03-25, 12:56 PM #4
im not too familiar with shaders. So if i wanted to customize the shader you just displayed, what could i do to change it?

Time2Die!
2007-03-25, 12:58 PM #5
Well, for one, you need to change the paths to the texture you want to give off light.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-03-25, 1:17 PM #6
oh i see now... so i would create the shader file, then just put it in the shaders folder and it should operate on its own?

Time2Die!
2007-03-25, 3:13 PM #7
Yes and you would have to add the shader to the shaderlist and if everything points to the right files it should work.

2007-03-26, 5:03 AM #8
ok it works thanks guys

Time2Die!

↑ Up to the top!