Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → The pipe.
The pipe.
2007-04-17, 5:31 PM #1
I'll start a new thread, just for the pipe question.

How to make a simple pipe, with an inside and an outside.

A pipe is basically two cylinders meshes with a surface connecting them.

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/Echoness101/pipe.jpg]

1-First, make a simple cylinder. This will be the outside of the pipe.

2-Now, copy and paste that cylinder. Click it and reduce its diameter while keeping mind of its proportions to the pipe's outside frame.

3- You notice that the inside cylinder has its texture on the wrong side. You fix this by, while having this cylinder selected, going to Curve > Matrix > Invert. If everything turned out alright, the texture is now seen on the pipe's insides.

4- Now there is issure of the surface to connect the two cylinders at the pipe's ends. Make a small brush and turn it into a simple patch mesh (Curve > Simple Patch Mesh...) 3 rows and 3 columns should be fine (and probably ideal).

5. Bring it over to the pipe's end so that it can act as the surface. With this mesh selected , press 'V' key to go into vertex mode. You should notice that the mesh now has dots. These dots allow you to mold the mesh to your liking.

6. The trick is to mold the mesh to cover a quarter of the surface you need. When the vertexes are lined up nice, it cover a quarter of the pipe's end neatly. If you can't get it to fit, prehaps you need to work in a smaller grid (you can do this by hitting the number keys).

7. Now you go a quarter of the surface between the 2 cylinders done, you should notice you need to fill in the 3 remaining quarters. Select the mesh and copy it. With the new mesh selected, rotate it (the rotate features are the keys next to the save icon button). Repeat (see the image).

No longer a pipe dream, here's your pipe.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-04-17, 6:38 PM #2
wow thanks echoman that helped alot.
I regret to inform you...

Time2Die!
2007-04-19, 5:48 PM #3
Funny. I start up a new map, do exactly what you say, and it works. I try again a few hours later.. AND ITS DAMN IMPOSSIBLE!!! I've tried every combination for the bottom-right three vectors.

[http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/BKTraitor/OMG.jpg]

Help? :gonk:

Time2Die!
2007-04-20, 1:33 AM #4
Is that even a 3 x 3 mesh you have selected? It doesn't look like it.
2007-04-20, 5:34 AM #5
Yup. I made a brush cover a quarter of the pipe, changed it to a Patch Mesh, did 3x3 (i tried 5x5 but it was sorta hard to work with) and just brought the top-left three vectors so they fit the pipe. But the bottom ones wont go in no matter what I do. Perhaps can you put in a few photographs explaining the process fore the bottom-right 3 in detail?

Time2Die!
2007-04-20, 5:42 AM #6
Here. Remember to keep those yellow lines straight:
Attachment: 16054/Clipboard01.jpg (61,933 bytes)
2007-04-20, 8:35 AM #7
Aha It works now ^^ thanks

Time2Die!
2007-04-21, 6:58 AM #8
And to reminder to the masses: Don't use the hollow or thicken tool in order to make a pipe, that will simply not work and probably cause errors.
2007-04-23, 5:30 AM #9
Thicken also looks like ****.

↑ Up to the top!