Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → The Elevator.
The Elevator.
2007-04-20, 4:59 PM #1
Hi, me again.. :rolleyes:

Im trying to make an elevator, and im using this tutorial:

http://www.massassi.net/tutorials/jo_elevator/

And whenever I follow the instructions word for word, when i compile and load it, all it has to say to me is:

SV_SetBrushModel: NULL

What am I doing wrong? :rant:

I attached the map.
Attachment: 16055/Gr.zip (5,097 bytes)
I regret to inform you...

Time2Die!
2007-04-20, 9:43 PM #2
I'm not at my main computer so I can't open the file. BUT, if I can remember, that error is often caused by a entity having some unacceptable shader on it. For example, a door having one side with "ORIGIN" on it. Or a moving brush with a sky shader on one of its surfaces. Go through your moving brushes and see if you didn't accidentally place a problem shader on its many sides.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2007-04-21, 4:49 PM #3
weeell... the way it has it on the example map, it has a 16x16 origin brush in exactly the same location as the ref_tag. It works though and i made sure my brushes were OK. This has happened before, but i forget how i solved it. (Which is another reason why I want to know how to turn .bsp into .map...) Always nice to see how i did it even though i lost the .map file.

Time2Die!
2007-04-21, 6:42 PM #4
I remember how i did it now. I copied the kejim_post main elevator entity for entity.... changed it of course... Is that illegal?

Time2Die!
2007-04-22, 10:13 AM #5
Er, not really. But...

the tutorial you are using for elevators is not one I would recommend. You can make a simple, functional elevator out of a func_door entity. Using a door as an elevator may seem...odd at first, but that's how I make my elevators. It is basically a door platform designed to go up and down.
2007-04-22, 10:26 AM #6
hmm that sounds like it could work. Anyways, i got another tutorial from Map Craft and it seemed to work, but the SV Pure thing came up again. When i deleted all the origin brushes or find/replaced them, it still didnt work. I'll try the doors. Did you look at the map? Can I make that elevator I'm using a door? Seems a little complicated.

Time2Die!
2007-04-22, 2:19 PM #7
I tried the doors, didnt work out too well, so im going to stick to scripting, now that i've got the hang of it.

Time2Die!
2007-04-22, 3:41 PM #8
Try use "lip" as a key and distance for its value in the func_door entity window. And point in to the put direction.
2007-04-22, 3:49 PM #9
I found that when i tried lip, no matter what number i put it at, it always went to the same spot. Waaay underground. A tutorial i read from Map Craft gave me the idea of making my own script. Its pretty simple now that I think about it and know how to use BehaveEd.

Time2Die!
2007-04-22, 3:59 PM #10
Try making whatever number negative for the lip. And try low numbers, like -50.
2007-04-22, 4:10 PM #11
Like i said, i tried every number. Must be because my elevator is odd shaped.. Forget scripting, i put something together and got another SV_ Brushmodel Null. I'll change my whole elevator setup and use func_door.

A few questions:

1. You see on kejim_post and other levels, the elevator platform is like grate on the top, and a different texture on the sides and bottom. But it is all one brush. How do I texture specific sides of a brush, or "meld" brushes together?

2. Quite off topic: Below your name, it says 0x31f6, and below mine, 0x50. What does that mean? I find mine changes daily.

Time2Die!
2007-04-22, 4:22 PM #12
1-You can select what side to texture by holding down Shift and Ctrl while selecting a side.

2-Those are post count in hex.
2007-04-23, 4:15 AM #13
Ah thats a useful tool. Thanks. Also, in Gtk 1.4.0, you can go to brush, and.... oh wait never mind :downswords: I WAS going to ask where Arbitary Sides was located in 1.5.0 but i found it :awesome:

Lol new Smilies! :suicide:

Time2Die!
2007-04-23, 5:35 AM #14
Your SV_SetBrushModel: NULL warning, along with your last two posts, tells me you're confused about a very basic mapping aspect.

The error is caused by a func_static -not- having an origin brush. TO set this straight, you'd have had to select the brush(es) you want to move using Shift, as well as the origin brush, until all elements of the elevator were selected. Then, right-click and make it a func_train.

Using this, you can easily combine multiple brushes into a single entity, allowing for complex doors, elevators, rotational devices; you name it.
2007-04-23, 1:01 PM #15
OOh I see, ive never seen a tutorial about using func_trains as elevators and ive looked at many tutorials, but it looks like it could work. Although it says that it needs a path_corner to tell it where to move, do i still use a ref_tag if im scripting?

Im just glad to solve that Brushmodel error, thanks alot Verticae.

Time2Die!
2007-04-24, 4:52 AM #16
Good news! I dont get a Brushmodel warning. Instead, the game crashes and I spend 10 minutes reconfiguring my monitor because the color was garbled. :argh:

What am i doing wrong? Here's a sample map, and the script i'm using.
Attachment: 16091/argh.zip (7,758 bytes)

Time2Die!
2007-04-24, 2:23 PM #17
Sound file paths are off, for one. Always go from inside gamedata/base/. Can't say much for the rest of it, I'm really to lazy to reinstall GTK at this time. Maybe sometime when(/if) I continue working on my ET map.
2007-04-24, 2:46 PM #18
Huh? You mean in the script?

c:/program files/lucasarts/star wars jk ii jedi outcast/gamedata/base/sound/movers/switches/switch1.mp3

Thats wrong? Should i just use sound/movers/switches/switch1.mp3?

Anyways re-installing Radiant takes no rtime at all, 1.4.0 re-installs in 2 minutes, and my computer sucks :)

Time2Die!
2007-04-25, 4:08 AM #19
Hello?

Time2Die!
2007-04-26, 10:54 AM #20
Originally posted by Time2Die:
Huh? You mean in the script?

c:/program files/lucasarts/star wars jk ii jedi outcast/gamedata/base/sound/movers/switches/switch1.mp3

Thats wrong? Should i just use sound/movers/switches/switch1.mp3?

Anyways re-installing Radiant takes no rtime at all, 1.4.0 re-installs in 2 minutes, and my computer sucks :)

Yes, you should.

Originally posted by Time2Die:
Hello?

Some of us have jobs.

↑ Up to the top!