Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsJedi Outcast and Jedi Academy Editing Forum → When compiling...
When compiling...
2008-04-08, 9:41 PM #1
I get this after SetupTraceNodes.

************ ERROR ************
safe_malloc failed on allocation of 192937984 bytes

I barely changed anything since my last compile. Por que?
DO NOT WANT.
2008-04-08, 10:42 PM #2
Usually it's because you ran out of virtual memory to finish the compile.

Adding -lomem as a light minor stage often does the trick. It will take longer to finish but atleast it finishes.

Or make your compiling less demanding. Turn off -patchshadows for the time being or don't make your lightmap so complex.

If all else fails (which shouldn't be the case if you tweak around), you need more RAM for your computer.

When I got that error for a large map I was compiling, I just used -lomem and left it running all night as I slept.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2008-04-08, 10:48 PM #3
Also, turn off any programs in the background that is hogging memory. Like those torrents for file sharing, hm?
2008-04-09, 7:59 AM #4
Hmm whoops, I might have had one or two of those open... :eng101:
DO NOT WANT.
2008-04-09, 8:00 AM #5
Hmm whoops, I might have had one or two of those open... I'll try again later, I'm at school right now. What really surprises me is how quick my full lighting and patchshadows compile is, it only takes about 5-10 minutes and my map is really complex. For older maps I made, it would take about an hour even without patchshadows. :eng101:
DO NOT WANT.
2008-04-13, 6:47 PM #6
It still does it... I swear since last time I compiled this and it worked, I literally changed a few textures and extended one brush. Now it crashes during the SetupTraceNodes in the lighting stage every time. Pain in the ***, I wanna see my beautiful work. :gbk:
DO NOT WANT.
2008-04-13, 11:24 PM #7
Perhaps try gtkradiant 1.5.0 and compile it. It's worth a shot.
2008-04-14, 12:50 PM #8
Well, GTKrad 1.5.0 is pretty awesome, but.. it still does it. I removed some lights and junk but it still does it. There must be some troublesome entity somewhere.. I don't get it. :argh:
DO NOT WANT.
2008-04-14, 1:28 PM #9
New discovery: I tried using a non -patchshadows compile and it worked. So the problem lies in the lighting stage when I use patchshadows. What puzzles me is why, because I simply didn't add anything new or crazy since the last -patchshadows compile I used that worked. :tinfoil:
DO NOT WANT.
2008-04-14, 2:51 PM #10
You might want to check the lightmap scale of your map (worldspawn key). Any value below 0.25 can cause your system to run out of virtual memory.
"You look like you need a monkey..."
2008-04-14, 5:10 PM #11
New question: I downloaded 1.5.0, and it's bloody cool and all, but for some reason they reworked most of the texturing shortcuts I'm used to. Texture stitching used to be just point and click mouse-button 3, but now all that does is select the texture used. I can't figure out how to stitch... anyone?
DO NOT WANT.

↑ Up to the top!