Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Gameboy DS
Gameboy DS
2004-01-21, 12:42 AM #1
Whoa! Spiffy!

http://www.gamespydaily.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=5624

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-21, 3:00 AM #2
It seems like a concept with limited use, to me.

Wouldn't one large screen be better?
2004-01-21, 5:32 AM #3
Sounds confusing.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-21, 5:52 AM #4
Seems kind of odd to me.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-21, 10:46 AM #5
eeeeewwwwwwyyyy, seems annoying, why not make one big screen?

------------------
<Genki> oh, where are you going, with beards all a waggin, no knowin no knowin what bring dear Mr. Baggins, and Balin, and Dwalin, here down in the vally Ah ha!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-01-21, 10:52 AM #6
I just think itd be cool for a shooter of some sort, ya know, first person on one screen, third on another. Or for an RPG, with the fighting on one screen, and menu screens on other that dont take it up.. meh, well, Nintendo has said that this "secret project" would be something some people wouldnt like, and others would..

------------------
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-21, 10:54 AM #7
See, I was under the impression that the TV would be one, main screen and that another, smaller screen that comes with the system would be the second. I could be wrong...

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: The Forgotten Relic
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-01-21, 10:56 AM #8
Actually Gebohq, it has two screens that are the same size

------------------
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-21, 2:28 PM #9
Wait so is this their next generation console? If it's not, it will die a quick death like Sega CD, Virtual Boy, etc. Why? Because in probably another year or so, the sucessor to Gamecube and GBA will come out and who would want to buy an inferior machine? Third party developers will probably be abit wary.
2004-01-21, 2:33 PM #10
No, this is sort of a.. test project, they arent even really expect it to sell well. This is just something in-between the GBA and the next gameboy

------------------
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-21, 4:44 PM #11
Yeah that's... really stupid. I mean it's not like I'm going to be able to fight in a battle and go through menus at the same time. I'd have to pause the action on screen 1 to mess around with screen 2, and if there's nothing going on in screen 1, why not put screen 2 on top of it? (like in every other game out there)
Lame.

------------------
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
2004-01-21, 5:03 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"We have developed Nintendo DS based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices in order to provide players with a unique entertainment experience for the 21st century," explains Satoru Iwata, Nintendo president. </font>

Sounds like Virtual Boy Talk to me. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-01-21, 5:03 PM #13
Everyone's trying to revolutionize gaming - Nokia gave it a crack with the N-Gage, and Sony apparently has something up its sleeve with it's handled due out in the near (or distant..) future. Obviously Nintendo really hasn't done much with it's handheld gaming since the very first GameBoy, but they've moved handheld gaming along quite nicely - with color screens, half-decent games, and finally a back-lit display. The N-Gage was good to get the ball rolling for setting a new standard for handheld gaming - even if it was a bit of a flop - but you can only go so far with trying to make things better than before, and you can't go anywhere these days without seeing something that's got "mp3" or "dvd" stapled to it. At least Nintendo is trying something different, that really has never been done before in gaming. I'm sure when Sony first came out with the Dual Shock controller, everyone would have been a bit so-so on the whole concept of two joysticks on one controller.

Most people here seem a bit skeptical with Nintendo's new idea, but think of the possiblilities - two sepereate screens with two sepereate processors. Obviously not all games are going to be able to utilize both screens, so what's the second screen with its own little processor going to do? It could play your own mp3's while you play, throw in a TV tuner and you could watch the baseball while hurling barrles with Donkey Kong.

I think the dual screens idea definately sounds cool, and could certainly be a much appreciated new aspect of handheld gaming.

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-01-21, 5:13 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yecti:
Sounds like Virtual Boy Talk to me. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

</font>

Hey! The Virtual Boy was a perfectly- hehe..- great, solid- *giggles* Gaming system *chuckles violently- that was underappreciated *bursts out laughing* and should have sold better! *explodes*

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-21, 8:52 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jin:
...but they've moved handheld gaming along quite nicely - with color screens, half-decent games, and finally a back-lit display. </font>

I do believe the Game Gear beat them to it...

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-01-21, 10:43 PM #16
Meh, I wouldn't know - I still only own a PlayStation and a GameBoyPocket.

------------------
2004-01-22, 12:35 AM #17
DS Tech Specs (Sort of): http://www.1up.com/article2/0,4364,1454490,00.asp

------------------
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-22, 12:42 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Roach:
I do believe the Game Gear beat them to it...

</font>

Yeah, but the game gear took like 8 double A batteries and lasted for about an hour

------------------
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-22, 1:24 AM #19
Not to mention you needed a backpack to carry it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[=-"The hardest thing is to forgive, but God does;
Even if you murdered or robbed, years wrong, but God loves;
Take one step toward him, he takes two toward you;
Even when all else fail, God supports you." - Nas
-=]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-01-22, 2:37 AM #20
i had a GameGear, and they call the original GB a brick...

------------------
<Genki> oh, where are you going, with beards all a waggin, no knowin no knowin what bring dear Mr. Baggins, and Balin, and Dwalin, here down in the vally Ah ha!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-01-22, 4:48 AM #21
I love my game-gear. I never used it with batteries very often (they died too quickly) but I had the car adapter and you could plug it in with your standard Genesis AC adapter. It was a great system.

------------------
1337Yectiwan
OSC Returns!!
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2004-01-22, 8:38 AM #22
Quote:
At least Nintendo is trying something different, that really has never been done before in gaming.
</font>

As someone who still has some Game & Watch games from the early 80's/late 90's, I disagree. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.rot13.com" TARGET=_blank>Wnav "Xebxb" Ghbzvara
w_ghbzvara@yhhxxh.pbz</A>
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-01-22, 12:10 PM #23
I think it's a stupid idea, especially with the PSP coming out same quarter as it, far as I can tell. If it's just an experiment, well then I'm all for it, but that's not nintendo's way. They've stopped experimenting and making quality games...they're out to make money now. Sony's got the best bet on next-gen handheld consoles with the PSP. Can't beat it, imo. If you need the specs, instead of giving me a half-assed argument, go here http://www.digitalbackspin.com/pspinfo.htm .

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-22, 12:34 PM #24
I kind of wish Nintendo would release the iQue in America first.

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-01-22, 2:27 PM #25
Quote:
It could play your own mp3's while you play, throw in a TV tuner and you could watch the baseball while hurling barrles with Donkey Kong.

I think the dual screens idea definately sounds cool, and could certainly be a much appreciated new aspect of handheld gaming.

</font>

The X-Box and PC already lets you use mp3s of your own for some games. Watching baseball while playing Donkey Kong? Isn't that the picture in picture feature of TVs? I'm skeptical about this, I especially agree with CygnusX's logic.
2004-01-22, 5:20 PM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cloud:
The X-Box and PC already lets you use mp3s of your own for some games. Watching baseball while playing Donkey Kong? Isn't that the picture in picture feature of TVs? I'm skeptical about this, I especially agree with CygnusX's logic.</font>

I highly doubt anyone is going to carry an X-Box or a PC around with them. And lugging a Picture-in-Picture TV around with you just so you can watch the baseball while playing Donkey Kong seems a bit unrealistic, don't you think?

Handheld gaming is designed to be portable. To take it around with you, when you're on the train, the bus, at the supermarket, etc. All the points you've stated are for objects that are going to remain stationary in the home. Unless, of course, you make a habbit of taking your TV and X-Box to the supermarket with you...

------------------
2004-01-23, 3:06 PM #27
Quote:
I highly doubt anyone is going to carry an X-Box or a PC around with them. And lugging a Picture-in-Picture TV around with you just so you can watch the baseball while playing Donkey Kong seems a bit unrealistic, don't you think?

Handheld gaming is designed to be portable. To take it around with you, when you're on the train, the bus, at the supermarket, etc. All the points you've stated are for objects that are going to remain stationary in the home. Unless, of course, you make a habbit of taking your TV and X-Box to the supermarket with you...

</font>

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't know the Gameboy DS was a handheld. If it is a handheld, then why don't they consider it a successor to the GBA?
2004-01-23, 6:08 PM #28
The PlayStation2 is the successor to the first PlayStation console, and the PSone console is considered the in-between of the two. I think a simular situation applies here. Just like the how GameBoyPocket isn't really the successor to the first GameBoy.

This thing is probably just Nintendo's "Hey look what we can do!" to get some interest back in their handhelds.

------------------
2004-01-23, 6:36 PM #29
...the last thing in the world nintendo needs is more attention on their handhelds.. they dominate the market. THey need more attention on their consoles.. thats their problem

------------------
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-23, 6:48 PM #30
....I'm thinking the only handheld I need is my iPod... it has some game on it.

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-01-23, 7:00 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
...the last thing in the world nintendo needs is more attention on their handhelds.. they dominate the market. THey need more attention on their consoles.. thats their problem

</font>

I think it'd be more to do with the PSP being on the way, and the N-Gage possibly setting off a new trend for gaming on cell phones. Meh. I have no idea.

------------------
2004-01-24, 3:02 AM #32
BTW: Ngage is nothing special. They act like it has superior hardware, when in reality, there are a bunch of cellphones capable of playing the same games. It's already been done also, but it requires a hack in the game (illegal) to do so. However, the phones run the games perfectly.

And as for the PSP, we'll see when it arrives. I just can't see a CD-ROM drive driven 3D accelerated hand held device's battery lasting very long. Especially since many laptops cannot last over a couple hours with a large battery, when the CD-ROM drive is constantly spinning and its playing a game.

------------------
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)
2004-01-24, 7:23 AM #33
Actually, the newest Gameboy still isn't backlit. It's got that little bulb at the bottom, which is probably a better choice because you can turn it on and off and doesn't require 8 batteries/hour...

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-01-24, 7:51 AM #34
[http://www.ggdb.com/img/ggdb/vol0/5764_3_fs_gm.jpg]
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter

↑ Up to the top!