Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → just an interesting little tidbit
just an interesting little tidbit
2004-01-23, 6:25 PM #1
There was a 20/20 special on ABC tonight with that Stossel dude. He had the top 10 Myths people believe. He had one on gun control. I found a summary of it on the internet. One thing I don't understand is why the CDC is involved...but evidently they are known for doing stuff with guns.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Myth No. 3 — Guns are Bad
America is notorious for its culture of gun violence. Guns sometimes do cause terrible harm, and many kids are killed every year in gun accidents. But public service announcements and news stories make it seem as if the accidents kill thousands of kids every year.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, however, fewer than 100 kids 15 and under are killed in gun accidents every year. Of course that's horrible, and I understand why demonstrators say we need more gun control.
But guess what? The Centers for Disease Control recently completed a review of studies of various types of gun control: background checks, waiting periods, bans on certain guns and ammunition. It could not document that these rules have reduced violent crime.
The government wants to say things like the Brady Gun Control Law are making a difference, but they aren't. Some maximum security felons I spoke to in New Jersey scoffed at measures like the Brady law. They said they'll have no trouble getting guns if they want them.
A Justice Department study confirmed what the prisoners said. But get this: the felons say that the thing they fear the most is not the police, not time in prison, but, you, another American who might be armed.
It's a reason many states are passing gun un-control. They're allowing citizens to carry guns with them; it's called concealed carry or right to carry. Some women say they're comforted by these laws.
Many people are horrified at the idea of concealed carry laws, and predict mayhem if all states adopt these laws.
But surprise, 36 states already have concealed carry laws, and not one reported an upsurge in gun crime.</font>

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-01-23, 6:29 PM #2
Gun control doesn't make it any more difficult for criminal to get guns. Never has, never will.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 6:34 PM #3
I'm still thinking the US should ban guns... although, like you said, Avenger, it wouldnt do much for crime, but it would help to stop random road rage shootings and school shootings.
------------------
please

[This message has been edited by Schming (edited January 23, 2004).]
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-01-23, 6:36 PM #4
If there's simply a longer waiting period...?

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-23, 6:37 PM #5
I would agree with schming if but for one thing: those two things actually don't happen that much.

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat
2004-01-23, 6:42 PM #6
sorry, eddie izzard...

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">well, we all know that 'Guns dont kill people, people kill people' but the gun helps I think. Wouldnt do much good if someone just stood there shouting BANG!</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">and then so it'd be 'Guns dont kill people, people kill people AND monkeys do too [if they've got a gun!]'</font>

------------------
please
2004-01-23, 7:04 PM #7
I would think that the point of gun control isn't to prevent criminals from shooting innocents, but rather, to prevent innocents from shooting innocents.

To prevent accidents or fits of rage. No parent wants to find their son shot to death with their own gun.

------------------
"Your entire base belongs to us."

"It would be highly appreciated if someone would set the bomb up for us"
"Your entire base belongs to us."
"It would be highly appreciated if someone would set the bomb up for us"
"Launch all of our ships, christened 'Zigs', to insure that justice will be achieved swiftly and powerfully."
2004-01-23, 7:10 PM #8
I think it's awesome that we have the right to bare arms. From what I've heard, most countries in the world have strict laws against guns?

------------------
"The Oracle told me I would die with my boots on. I've worn tennis shoes ever since." - Axis
2004-01-23, 7:11 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:
I'm still thinking the US should ban guns... although, like you said, Avenger, it wouldnt do much for crime, but it would help to stop random road rage shootings and school shootings.</font>

Name three or more school shooting off the top of your head. I dont know about you but I can't.

------------------
AGONetwork
Bobbert006:The other day my dad said, "I think the world has passed me by."
I told him he isn't missing anything.

AGONetwork
2004-01-23, 7:13 PM #10
Columbine, the one in Arkansas, and the one I'm committing two days from now.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-23, 7:15 PM #11
We should have looser control on guns. There would be LESS crime, because now everyone's an enforcer, and there's a lot more good guys out there than bad. It should be more like the SW universe; it's okay to carry concealed firearms. If anyone tries anything funny, you've got yourself a gun.

If people were carrying guns on board the planes the terrorists hijacked on 9/11, the two towers would still be standing. All you anti-gun people wrap your minds around that one.

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-01-23, 7:16 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:

</font>

There was one in San Diego a few years back too.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 7:24 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:

</font>

there was 2 in georgia in the past 4 years.

------------------
please

[This message has been edited by Schming (edited January 23, 2004).]
2004-01-23, 7:32 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
We should have looser control on guns. There would be LESS crime, because now everyone's an enforcer, and there's a lot more good guys out there than bad. It should be more like the SW universe; it's okay to carry concealed firearms. If anyone tries anything funny, you've got yourself a gun.

If people were carrying guns on board the planes the terrorists hijacked on 9/11, the two towers would still be standing. All you anti-gun people wrap your minds around that one.

</font>

I doubt the plane would still be flying, with a bullet hole (or 20) in its hull. Pressure and whatnot.

Myself, well, I have similar feelings about guns as I do about cars, but I'm too lazy to write a compare and contrast list.

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: The Forgotten Relic
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-01-23, 7:47 PM #15
Quote:
I'm still thinking the US should ban guns... although, like you said, Avenger, it wouldnt do much for crime, but it would help to stop random road rage shootings and school shootings.</font>

BAD IDEA.

The UK did just that, and now their crime rate is worse than any US city.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.
2004-01-23, 8:05 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:

BAD IDEA.

</font>

yet in australia, we reduced gun crime. these recent sydney shootings were using guns that were not covered by the ban.

Also, using only one example will never proove a point.

------------------
your curiosity will get the better of YOU one day.
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)-@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-01-23, 8:21 PM #17
guns don't kill people... the bullets do

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-01-23, 8:28 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:

</font>

Everybody as their own vigilante. Yeah, that's just what we need.

Do you have any idea how stupid it is to start firing off a gun in an airplane?

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-01-23, 8:38 PM #19
Only allow guns of a certain calliber on the plane.

------------------
mir·ow ( V ) Pronunciation Key (meer-oh)
Someone or something that possesses unfathomable awesomeness
2004-01-23, 11:46 PM #20
Yeah. I think it's unbelievably difficult to get any type of actual firearm here - airsoft and BB weapons are pretty loose though, just so long as it's secure and you don't have it in public. But then again, I guess it's common sense. If you've got a gun, people won't stop to ask whether it was real.

------------------
Yeah, but you know what? This one, this one right here, this was my dream, my wish, and it didn't come true. So I'm takin' it back. I'm takin' 'em all back.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-24, 12:56 AM #21
You should reintroduce lynch law while you're at it

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-01-24, 2:26 AM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:

</font>

now count just gun crimes and not 'crime rate'

------------------
stop talking in brail

300 years as jedi master i was, now i bloody night-lite

(:-) Monobrow
2004-01-24, 2:44 AM #23
I'm glad Australia has almost no gun culture to speak of. I grew up in western Sydney and I've never seen a gun in my life. I'm quite happy with that.

Never been approached with any other weapon (or hell, even just fists) and neither has anyone I know. Not saying Australia is some crime free utopia but if there is a downside to our current level of gun control I've yet to see it....it's just not an issue here...at all.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-01-24, 4:31 AM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
I'm glad Australia has almost no gun culture to speak of. I grew up in western Sydney and I've never seen a gun in my life. I'm quite happy with that.

Never been approached with any other weapon (or hell, even just fists) and neither has anyone I know. Not saying Australia is some crime free utopia but if there is a downside to our current level of gun control I've yet to see it....it's just not an issue here...at all.

</font>

/me packs bags

Okay I'm movin' to Australia.

------------------
Signatures are overrated.

"You can run but you will only die tired."
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-01-24, 4:44 AM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Apophis:

Name three or more school shooting off the top of your head. I dont know about you but I can't.

</font>

Ive had over 3 within 30 miles of my house.. So nyah

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-24, 5:00 AM #26
it's such an issue here because the people like to feel they still have some level of freedom

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-01-24, 6:09 AM #27
The way I see gun control is that as much as I'd like to own a FN FAL, Steyr TMP, Steyr Aug, M14, SPAS-12, DE .50, M60, Famas G2, SSG 3000, H&K PSG1, H&K UMP and a Lahti M/39, it would mean that every other loser, retard, ninja-wannabe, dropkick, hick, bikie, asian gang member, homicidal maniac, religious fanatic, rampaging koala, sun-worshipper, tasmanian and crazed Doom playing computer nerd would be able to get their hands on the same kind of arsenal.

So I'm content enough to sit around playing Raven Shield instead. It's bad enough having those people in society anyway(especially the tasmanians), don't need them running around with assault rifles to boot.
2004-01-24, 6:36 AM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sum1givusaname:
now count just gun crimes and not 'crime rate'

</font>

They are connected--- you don't have to worry about getting shot if you rob someone or commit other crimes if the average citizens are not allowed to own guns.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.
2004-01-24, 6:50 AM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gebohq:
I doubt the plane would still be flying, with a bullet hole (or 20) in its hull. Pressure and whatnot.</font>

Actually, MythBusters did an experiment on that, and there was no dangerous decompression when they punctured the hull and a window with a handgun bullet.

------------------
2004-01-24, 6:57 AM #30
Movies ruin people's real life perspective. :\
That's why shows like Myth Busters are about the only thing worth watching on TV. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited January 24, 2004).]
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-01-24, 7:58 AM #31
Planes can still fly if the cabin is decompressed. All that would happen is the little masks would drop down out of the ceiling(sp?). You just don't want a huge gaping hole in the outside of the plane.

I'm all for allowing people to carry guns. It would make an armed criminal think twice about attacking someone or breaking into their house if they knew that the victim is just as armed as they are. With the road rage, wouldn't you be less inclined to shoot at someone if you were gonna get it right back?

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2004-01-24, 8:00 AM #32
Quote:

But then again, that would go against our constitution.

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by SG1_129 (edited January 24, 2004).]
2004-01-24, 8:37 AM #33
So does restricting free speech, but not too many are complaining.

------------------
please
2004-01-24, 8:48 AM #34
[if you can't debate without name calling, expect your posts to go bye bye]

[This message has been edited by Jaiph (edited January 24, 2004).]
Twenty-Eight Days, Six Hours, Forty-Two Minutes, Twelve seconds...
2004-01-24, 9:00 AM #35
Quote:
So does restricting free speech, but not too many are complaining.

</font>

Sadly true.

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by SG1_129 (edited January 24, 2004).]
2004-01-24, 1:29 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moldy_hair:
So many morrons...

</font>

the irony pains me. Now then, I happen to enjoy firing guns, in sport, and i know that when we go on road trips my Dad has his Glock 20 in the glove compartment. Being raised with the occasional gun experience (firing on a range in west texas at least once a year), my siblings and I possess the common sense and knowledge required to NOT FOUL UP AND KILL SOMEONE OUR OURSELVES WITH GUNS. We know how the work, the range safety rules, and how to avoid stupid accidents. We do not tell our friends where in our house guns may be located, because we are SMARTER THAN THAT.

Education...

being educated about firearms makes it less likely that I'll hurt someone with one. If I were to know nothing, and decide to shoot someone... urk. I know the dangers and risks... god forbid i'd ever have to shoot anyone in self defense even.

------------------
saberopus
oh yeh wlel i jsut gots finesht wiht my morrwoind mod for teh JO An it takes up teh 900 gigabiets of spaec but i wlil not sowh yuo gyz teh scrnshoots becasue we dunat kare wut u gyz tihnk ne1 no wear i kan get ti hostad 4 dounlowd!!!!11!111 --Checksum
2004-01-24, 1:38 PM #37
There was a report of a kid who got the top half of his head blown off in southern AL in a hunting accident. Father thought he was a boar, and killed his 14 y/o son. That's why you require a certain level of intelligence for gunholders. /sigh

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-24, 1:39 PM #38
Very true. Being educated about guns rather than being told that they are bad, takes the mystery away from them.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-24, 2:23 PM #39
I just want to address two posts that were put up in regards to the constitutionality of gun control(they said it's against the constitution). Go read the 2nd Amendment. No where does it say private citizens have the express right to have firearms. It's a common misconception.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited January 24, 2004).]
2004-01-24, 3:01 PM #40
But the Bill of Rights is rights guaranteed to citizens. The debate is over what "arms" means.

------------------
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!