Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Need some exercise advice.
Need some exercise advice.
2004-01-24, 10:10 AM #1
I've decided to start going to the gym, although I've never been before and have no clue what to do. I was wondering if any of you guys have any routines you could share with me.
I basically want to lose my gut, and build up my arms, chest, and abs. Or in the words of Kevin Spacey from American Beauty, "I wanna look good naked." I'm pretty strong, but I have no clue what I could/should lift.
I'm looking for advice as to what machines/weights to use, how much time per day I should spend working out, how many days per week, etc.

Oh yeah, and I hate running, so any routine that doesn't involve running would be good. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Thanks guys

------------------
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
2004-01-24, 10:13 AM #2
Running 20 miles every morning always helped me. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-24, 10:16 AM #3
Ha, ****ing, ha.[/b]
I thought I told you not to post on my threads anymore.
I don't want any advice regarding Linux, Mozilla, running, or any other crap for which you are a fanboy. Read the damn post before you reply and stop trying to be a smarta** all the time. When I post a thread, it's because I actually want help with something. It's not my intention to provide you with a soapbox to advertise your latest obsession.

[edit] I was referring to GBK, not Silent, obviously.

------------------

[This message has been edited by CygnusX (edited January 24, 2004).]
2004-01-24, 10:16 AM #4
I don't know so much about weights and what not, but you may want to consider doing a lot of swimming, it's really great cardio-vascular for those who hate running.

------------------
Tell me not in mournful numbers, Life is but an empty dream, For the soul is dead that slumbers, and things are not as they seem. Life is real, Life is ernest, the grave is not it's goal; Dust thou art, Dust thou returnest, Was not spoken of the soul.
~William Shakespeare
People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in,
their true beauty is revealed only
if there is a light from within.
-Elizabeth Kübler-Ross
2004-01-24, 10:31 AM #5
Jogging or biking would be effective for losing weight all over. Why don't you like running?

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-01-24, 10:35 AM #6
Running is great for overall fitness and losing weight. Unfortunately, it makes it hard to gain upper body muscle mass since so much calories are being burned.
"Your entire base belongs to us."
"It would be highly appreciated if someone would set the bomb up for us"
"Launch all of our ships, christened 'Zigs', to insure that justice will be achieved swiftly and powerfully."
2004-01-24, 10:35 AM #7
Mens Health

I follow many of their routines.

Anyways, I dedicate one day each week to intense training of specific parts. On these days I will work a part, and then work their opposite or complement muscles. For example:

Monday: I do arms on Mondays. I will do a set of bicep curls, and immediatley hit the tricept extensions. After I do the two excercised back to back, I wait one minute, and do it again. I will do this 3 times.

After that I will do 2-3 other bicep-tricep combination excerices.

After all that I will a Crunch-Hyper Extension combo. 1 set of crunches, followed my hyper extensions, and then rest 1 min. Hit it again 2 more times.

Tuesday: Tuesday is the day I work my chest and my upper back region.

I will do dumb bell bench press, and then some lateral pull downs. Like above, I will do these back to back, then rest 1 minute, and then do two more sets.

Next I may do incline or decline bench press cause they work other parts of your pectorial area. The complement excercise may be Bent over Rows.

Tuesdays I also rest the abs and the lower back because you should always give your muscles 1-2 days of rest. Instead I will do either the Stair Master or just jog a mile. Just keeps your body loose, and helps shed some fat, and some of that leg fat too [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Wednesday: If you choose too..you can do leg excercise this day. No need to do complement excericise, you can just do your standard leg curls, sqauts and walking lungs. If you arent worried about your legs or anything, you can do your Shoulders on Wednesay. Do your normal push press, lateral pull ups ( i think that is what they are called). Also, start your ab excerices again.

THursday: Do Monday

Friday: Do Tueday, and anything else you feel you didnt cover before. Also do abs again.

Some notes:

Every excercise should be 3 sets at 8-12 reps.

If you are workiing out by yourself, you can use some machines to help you do heavier weights just so the machine can help spot you. Though, free weights have proven to increase preformance because they for your body to become balanced and stablized.

If you are just beginning, do enough weight so you can do each excercise for 3 sets at at least 10 reps. As you get more used to it you can do things such as starting out with lower weight for your first set and doing about 10 reps, then uping the weight for your second set to a point where you can only do 5 reps of that weight, and then going down to a higher weight for you last set where you may only be able to do 2-3 reps.

There is so much, but these are some basic stuff. Hope it helps.

ALSO Remeber to drink up a lot of water. You should drink an ounce of water for all the weight you loose in one day or something. Work out at least an hour..if you get out sooner then that, you havent dont anything.

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

[This message has been edited by Ubuu (edited January 24, 2004).]

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-24, 10:43 AM #8
Better yet, Cyg, I can scan you some of mens health work out logs. Last year they had a work out log for ever month, and each one was designed to do a different thing. Things such as: your were an ex-athlete trying to get in shape again, want to be come a upper body god, or just want chisled abs. Just holler at me if you want them.

MSN: silkktradamus_12@hotmail.com

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-24, 10:46 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
Jogging or biking would be effective for losing weight all over. Why don't you like running?

</font>

Well if you guys must know, I was born with a tangle of blood vessles in my gastrocnemius (calf muscle) in my right leg. Due to this tangle, as my leg grew longer, the muscle did not, and as a result, I could not straighten my leg. To correct this, doctors removed about a third of the muscle. Since then, the other calf muscle (soleus) has grown larger and stronger to compensate, so I can function normally, but with prolonged stress (running) my leg starts to hurt. A lot. And there you have it.

------------------
2004-01-24, 10:58 AM #10
I see. Well that's out of the picture then I guess.

------------------
2004-01-24, 10:58 AM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CygnusX:
Ha, ****ing, ha.
I don't want any advice regarding Linux, Mozilla, running, or any other crap for which you are a fanboy. Read the damn post before you reply and stop trying to be a smarta** all the time. When I post a thread, it's because I actually want help with something. It's not my intention to provide you with a soapbox to advertise your latest obsession.

</font>

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

------------------
BV's rendition of Titanic: Let's have sex. I won't let go. I don't need this stone.
The End.
~ Wolfy
That painting was a gift, Todd. I'm taking it with me.
2004-01-24, 11:04 AM #12
If you want good LOOKING biceps you want to do 10 curls with the heaviest weights you can do 10 curls with, If you want to get STRONG you should do 25 curls with the heaviest weights you can do 25 curls with.. just a tip

------------------
Member of the Minneassian Council
2004-01-24, 11:40 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by -Monoxide-:
If you want good LOOKING biceps you want to do 10 curls with the heaviest weights you can do 10 curls with, If you want to get STRONG you should do 25 curls with the heaviest weights you can do 25 curls with.. just a tip

</font>

HAHAAHAH...no

You do lighter weights at higher reps to gain physique. You do higher weights at lower reps to gain size and strength.

Higher reps is considered 12-15 while lower is considered 3-5

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-24, 11:43 AM #14
The most important thing regarding weight lifting is to not over-do it. Less is more, keep that in mind. And don't exercise your arms everyday, you need to allow some time for your muscles to rest. Work on your arms one day, then work on your legs the next, then your abs, and then go back to the arms. You'll get better results faster this way. Also, don't expect to see any result on your abs until you have a very flat stomach.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-01-24, 11:47 AM #15
If you REALLY want ab results, like i said above, I suggest at least 3 times a week, alternating MWF. This will help burn all that junk on the surface.

All try reverse crunches. Those get the lower two abs above your waist region that TAKE FOREVER to develope. Trying some oblique twist excersices such as russian twist will get the side abs too.
------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-24, 12:07 PM #16
Try swimming. (if it wasn't mentioned before)

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-01-24, 12:08 PM #17
Quote:
Ha, ****ing, ha.

[/B]</font>

what....the....

------------------
Only To Keep The Public Happy
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-01-24, 12:17 PM #18
Quote:
</font>

What the hell are you talking about? He gave you the advice to run 20 miles a day, how is that offtopic, unhelpful, or linux related?

His advice was actually the best for losing weight, so stop being a jackass.

Edit: Quotes had screwed up tags.

[This message has been edited by Checksum (edited January 24, 2004).]
2004-01-24, 1:24 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Checksum:
What the hell are you talking about? He gave you the advice to run 20 miles a day, how is that offtopic, unhelpful, or linux related?

His advice was actually the best for losing weight, so stop being a jackass.

Edit: Quotes had screwed up tags.

[This message has been edited by Checksum (edited January 24, 2004).]
</font>

The only reason GBK posted that was because I explicitly said that running was out of the question. And this is definitely NOT the first time he's done stuff like this on my threads, which is why I chose to vent at him this time. Every time I've asked for help with Opera, GBK's "solution" is to use Firebird instead. Whenever I've asked for help with WindowsXP, GBK's "solution" has been to buy Windows 2000 or Linux. I'm just sick of him doing that. And if you'll notice on my other thread about free music, he posted a link to his own website, which as far as I can tell, contains no music at all, unless I'm missing something (and I have a feeling that what I'm missing is a way to access his mp3 collection, which wouldn't be legal for me to download and hence offtopic for the thread).

Anyway, back on topic, thanks a lot Ubuu, you've been most helpful. That site is great!

------------------
2004-01-24, 1:27 PM #20
GBK can be a jerk sometimes, but I don't see what was so offensive about his joke. It didn't stop everyone else from giving real advice.

------------------
WOOSH.
-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-01-24, 1:47 PM #21
If the admins are closing every thread they deem pointless, I don't see why I should have to put up with GBK's crap in all of my threads.
Case in point: http://forums.massassi.net/html/Forum1/HTML/031437.html

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">CygnusX: Has anyone encountered this Opera bug? (blah blah... decription of bug blah)
GBK: Here is the solution to your problem. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
drizzt2k2: would you quit doing that on every browser thread GBK?</font>

------------------
2004-01-24, 1:47 PM #22
Ya'll. Cyg specifically said no running advice. He was wasnt sure that there was ANOTHER alternative to losing weight and toning up, he WOULD NOT HAVE ASKED. Then the first post is..ironically from someone that he probably has fueled with the most at Massassi, and he takes jab at it. Thats disrespectful.

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-24, 1:49 PM #23
You need a good circuit that works you arms, shoulders, back, abs and your legs. The last time I was hititng the weights regualrly, I did the following ( 3 sets, 8-12 reps, starting at 8 then adding weight when you can do 12 reps)

Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Military Press (for shoulders)
Bicep, tricep and forearm curls
Squats
Toe Press

You can add to that, but it's a decent core routine

For abs, I use an ab wheel deal, and it works really well for me. Legs lefts work the lower abs pretty well.

Also, for the best results, you'll need a good 15-20 minutes of cardio as well. Swimming might be a good option given the leg problem or maybe a stationary bike.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-24, 1:59 PM #24
Avenger got the core excerices real good.

Here is a REALLY good ab routine.

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-24, 2:01 PM #25
Now if only I'd drag myself to the gym and do them regularly [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-24, 2:03 PM #26
I just wanted to add some things to Avengers list as like a routine.

For chest:
Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Decline Bench Press
Chest Flies

For shoulders:
Shrugs
Lat pull ups.

Arms:
Bicep curls. Also note that when doing bicep curls, if you hold the bar at different width, it works out a different bicep muslce. Narrow grip works the head of the bicep, while wide grip works the brachis and the outter part.
Pull ups.

Tricep extensions, and dips.

------------------

10/7/85 - 12/9/03

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-24, 3:34 PM #27
You didn't say it absolutely could not include running, you said you would prefer it not involve running.

Besides, if you want to get thin fast you need aerobic exercise. There is no quick fix, the answer is hard work, and in this case it probably means some sort of aerobics - be it running, gymnastics, or whatever.

------------------
Duel Zero : Released the beta. Probably the end of it. Not to worry though, I'm working on Randsaber, which is a lot better.
2004-01-24, 4:02 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ubuu:
For shoulders:
Shrugs
Lat pull ups.
</font>

add: shoulder flies

doesn't exactly work your shoulders all that much, but the muscles at the top of your arm. I've been doing alot of those lately and it's made a big difference.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-01-24, 6:07 PM #29
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Running 20 miles every morning always helped me. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

</font>

Is 20 Miles a Linux backup utility or something?

C'mon, we've seen photos.

Intensive cardiovascular exercise is a poor way to lose weight (but a good way to get 'in shape'). To burn off that gut you want to do a lot of low intensity exercise - the best way, really, is to do things outdoors like hiking, or even some sports.

[This message has been edited by Jon`C (edited January 24, 2004).]
2004-01-24, 6:21 PM #30
Seriously if you want to lose fat, or water weight, running is the best thing to do. If you want muscles, do the Ubuu thing.

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-01-24, 6:24 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally RANTED by CygnusX:
Ha, ****ing, ha.
</font>

Ahh, yes, another poor soul who has lost the ability to percieve a joke.

Please, follow the steps outlined below, that you may once again know the meaning of the word:

1) Back the hell off.
2) Take a deep beath, relax, and pull your foot out of your mouth.
3) Look up the word joke in the dictionary.
4) I know you wont do #3, so allow me to quote..
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">joke, n.

Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
</font>

5) Re-read #4. Several times.
6) Go ahead and put your foot back in your mouth. You seem to like the flavor.

Let me ask you, what ever gave you the idea that you could post a thread on Massassi, of any subject, and get nothing but serious responses? The fact that you forbade a specific line of discussion just invited someone to post regarding it.

And me posting about Firebird in your thread.. That was, what, 2 months ago? You drag that up now? Geeze!

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-24, 6:41 PM #32
GBK, **YOU** back the hell off!

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The fact that you forbade a specific line of discussion just invited someone to post regarding it.</font>

That's not a joke. That's called being incredibly stupid and childish! Leave it up to GBK..

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-01-24, 6:44 PM #33
my favorite exorcise is the one that involves an old priest and a young priest... oh wait you said exercise

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-01-24, 6:45 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Ahh, yes, another poor soul who has lost the ability to percieve a joke.</font>

Generally jokes are supposed to be funny, rather than intentionally inflammatory.
Unless you were talking about your insipid backpedaling.

Cyg is right. Harsh, but right.
2004-01-24, 7:32 PM #35
hmm. i dont remember saying that. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif] oh well.

------------------
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2004-01-24, 10:13 PM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jon`C:
Intensive cardiovascular exercise is a poor way to lose weight (but a good way to get 'in shape'). To burn off that gut you want to do a lot of low intensity exercise - the best way, really, is to do things outdoors like hiking, or even some sports.

</font>

It'll work but the problem is beeing in good enough shape to keep the intense pace for more than fifteen minutes, especially early on.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-24, 10:58 PM #37
Bah.

Everyone, you're full of crap. Myself included. All we can do is post advice. That's it, just advice.

Everyone has their different body types so there is no one perfect answer, and debating it is as pointless as a martial arts debate.

All we can really expect from here on out is the usual pointless-debate-banter and whatever Cygnus wants to say to GBK.

------------------
Duel Zero : Released the beta. Probably the end of it. Not to worry though, I'm working on Randsaber, which is a lot better.
2004-01-25, 12:33 AM #38
Cyg - if you're truly serious about getting in shape, you need to consult a Doctor or [term eludes me at this point in time. Fitness doctor person]. Even though many of the suggestions in this thread may sound good, they might not work for you in quite the same way they work for whoever's recommending them.
Many factors can change the result of different fitness routines, and only the professional opinion of a Doctor who's taken a good look at you is really worth considering.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-01-25, 3:30 AM #39
Yeah, I realize that jay, but I'm at school right now and don't have access to any of the local doctors I know and trust, and I don't have a car here, so I have no means of going out and looking for one.

------------------
2004-01-25, 3:26 PM #40
Bicep curls and bench press on mondays and thursdays along with an exercise for some other muscle(s), usually something for upper back, the back of my forearms with my palms down lifting up, and/or obliques with wieght on one side leaning over left/right and raising up.
On Tuesdays and Fridays, one-legged calf raises, forearm exercise with the bar behind my back palms facing back lifting, I forget the name, but the one where you sit or stand with the bar behind your neck and lift up for the shoulders, etc.

Then there's this 6 part abdominal thing I read from one of Schwarzenegger's books, every night 'cept sunday.
Regular Situps or crunches worked fine untill I located the book in my basement. The twisting helps if you don't exercise your obliques in any other way.

Really books help the best, since they contain better descriptions/pictures, and ussually let you knowother info, how not to overdo it, etc.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....

[This message has been edited by Bounty Hunter 4 hire (edited January 25, 2004).]
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....

↑ Up to the top!