Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Most legendary critical hits/misses
Most legendary critical hits/misses
2004-01-25, 9:34 PM #1
Share your most impressive/embarassing RPG experiences when the dice has been totally on your side or utterly against you. Here are a couple of mine:

In DnD 3rd edition my 1st level Tiefling fighter wielding a 2-bladed sword kicked the asses of 3 bugbears (which are CR 2 creatures) single handedly. I rolled a total of 3 critical hits during the fight and every bugbear rolled at least 1 critical miss and pretty much all of their attacks were normal misses. I got hit only 2 times and on both times the DM rolled a damage roll of 1, while I kept rolling 6-8 pretty much on every hit.

The most ridiculous critical failure happened when I was DMing and my players encountered a group of gnolls. Our druid cast entrangle on the critters and one of them kept rolling critical failures in his reflex saves AND strength rolls to get out of the bush. He rolled 3 critical failures in a row, so I ruled that the idiotic creature managed to mess himself up so badly that he will begin choking if he doesn't get free during the next 3 turns....he didn't, so the gnoll managed to choke himself because of a pretty much harmless spell.

------------------
People who get murdered are victims, people who get killed in war are casualties and people who don't get killed at all are just plain boring. -Said by me-

In my dream world people wear trenchcoats and piss on sanity's grave.
Yeah, you stay here and take life seriously. I'll go and have some fun.
2004-01-25, 10:30 PM #2
Final Fantasy 7 : Battle against Sepiroth. (Very end of the game)

It was the very first time I'd gone up against him. In my party I had Cloud, Tifa and Barret, all around level 40-50. It was my first time playing through the game, and I didn't know about any of the special summons or any special items. I knew pretty much nothing about what was effective agianst what, and was pretty much just winging my way through the entire game.

The battle lasted around 20 minutes. It was non-stop action, with all my characters dieing at least 4 times each throughout.
I knew it was going to end soon - I was running incredibly low on pretty much all useful items, I'd just run out of pheonix downs, and had no more items to regain MP, which was very low on all characters. It seemed like all my summons and special attacks were doing nothing. I thought it would never end.
For the third time during the battle, Sepiroth used his big attack (the one where the meteor blows up all the planets), and from looking at my characters health, I figured it would be the end of me. With nothing left to regain HP, I thought even if I did survive, I'd have nothing left to throw back at him.
I put the controller down, and sat back in my chair to watch the ultimate attack finish me off. I hoped that it would be over soon so that I may lower my head in shame, and walk away from the game a broken man.
...but that was not to happen. As I watched, with a feeling of loss rising in my gut of my impending doom, a miracle had occured - after the attacked had passed, I had discovered that although Cloud had died, Tifa and Barret were still alive! With each only having 1HP left!! I watched both their limit bars fill faster than I'd ever seen, and both had hit their limit breaks. As fast as my fingers would allow, I attacked with both their limit breaks (both level3 breaks, if I remember correctly).
A feeling of uncertainty filled the room - would it be enough, or was my narrow escape from death just to make my defeat all the more painful? I pushed these thoughts from my head, and watched in absolute anticipation as Barret attacked... the outcome of the battle uknown to even the most knowledgable being...

...and then it was over.
Barret's final attack had done it. It had finished off Sepiroth. The battle was won. I was victorious. After a battle so long and harsh my shirt was damp with sweat, pushed so close to death I could taste it's call - and then it was over as fast as it had begun.

I still hold it today as being the greatest gaming experience I have ever had.

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-01-26, 2:30 AM #3
hehe... Everyone has a great sephiroth story

Mine was similar to jins, except I had vincent, cloud and cid. My party was all at around level 35-40, maybe cloud was a bit higher, I dont remember. I had my party set up like this, cloud was a healer, with all the healing spells comboed with all, Vincent was there for one reason, to use his kick-arse level 4 limit-break/summon thing,and cid was a summoner. So, the battle seemed to last forever, Cloud was constantly healing, vicent was kicking arse, and Cid (with X-summon) was casting Knights of the round as fast as I could throw X-Ethers at him. Then sephiroth used the planety death thingy, and took out vincent, and cid. I had cloud revive the both with life 2, taking out the rest of his MP. Then I had vincent use sense, to see what seph's HP was at

...It was amazing, he had 23/xxxxxx left... I had cloud use his limit break, meteor slash I think its called, but, as soon as I used it, seph used the planety smash move AGAIN. I waited for my impending doom... It killed cloud and cid. All that was left was vincent. Vincent, my favorite characther since the beginning of the game. Using a fitting end, I used his regular attack...

...only to see it miss... It was all over, Seph used an attack, and I lost.. "HE HAD 23 KAKKING HEALTH" I started to scream at my computer... blargh...

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-26, 2:40 AM #4
I once rolled the highest possible on every roll for exactly ONE hit. It wasa goblin or something, I believe. (this was D&D)

My DM had him fly into a wall and knock it in revealing a secret room i believe. The hit was enough to severely injure a young red dragon.

------------------
WOOSH.
-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-01-26, 3:32 AM #5
We were playing Werewolf on December 20th - a night we have now named "Botch Night," can never play upon again.

One of our players was looking for a dark-skinned man with long, black hair - not something that's ordinary in the midwest. Seven searches later, he had either failed or botched every attempt. On the eighth, he botched when the guy was about three feet in front of him.

Later, our pack was at Black Dog convention, and we were looking for a certain type of sword on a guy's back - difficulty 10. We all failed and botched miserably, hitting the same damn pole over...and over...and over...and over...

Let's not forget one of our packmate's joking attempt to spot someone at a bar from across town - 4, 3, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-26, 3:35 AM #6
My best gaming experience:

There's nothing really too special about this, but it's still the best for me. It was in Metroid Prime. I was repeating the game in Hard mode (Think Normal with double the damage), and I had just defeated the first part of Metroid Prime. I felt that I had been doing really well, also, so I casually looked at my health bar. I HAD 15 ENERGY LEFT. Somehow, in my anxiousness, I had forgotten to hit that very last save point, and refresh my energy. At first I put my controller down, but then I decided to give it a try anyway. I picked it back up as soon as the cinematics finished. (NOTE: On hard mode, one attack can easily do 30-40 damage) I fought, dodging wildly. I knew one thing: I had to keep sight of him. This was extremely hard, since he goes invisible during the fight, and you have to switch displays to see him. After a long, hard battle, I finally killed him. I looked at my HP bar, and it was still at 15 HP. I had lived through the entire second part of Metroid Prime, on hard mode, without taking a hit. Nevertheless, I never made that mistake again [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)
2004-01-26, 7:17 AM #7
My Sephiroth story is even more pathetic than the rest of yours (in that I didn't know wtf I was doing). My characters were definitely in the 30's, low limit breaks, I knew nothing of magicka or whatever it's called. On the way down to Seph I found this thing called pandora's box and that was my main attack against him.

I had finally managed to beat his first form, and then I'm like, WHAT?! There's more?! I wa beaten and battered for a long time, (I had cloud, cid, and barret), and eventually I had run out of magicka. cid and barret were both slain, and with Cloud with about 2-3 HP left, no limit breaks, no healing capability of any sort, no magicka, waiting for my doom I just did the only thing I could do: use my normal attack. To my surprise that did it. Cloud's last desparation blow had sent Seph reeling away in pain.

Then, to my dismay, it appeared that was yet ANOTHER form of sephiroth I had to take out. I was cursing so much it was unbelieavable. They made me think I beat the game and then they go and pull something like that. To my luck though it just turned out to be an in-game cutscene. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

Also, it's not exactly an RPG, but once I was playing risk, and I had 25 armies on alaska, and I was attacking irkutsk, which had 17 armies. My luck was so good I think I only lost 1 or 2. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-01-26, 7:22 AM #8
Yeah, risk battles are the best, if happydud can post some pics of the best battle we ever had.. that'd be awesome

I had all my armies held up in afganastan, it was the only thing I had left, I had 42 armies, dud had like ~200, I took about about 100 of them before I finally died

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-26, 10:34 AM #9
Of course, defenders always have the advantage.

Hmm. I don't know, I get a lot of critical hits in Asheron's Call, but probably any one of the times I've one-shot a Tusker Guard. That's over 375 damage.

[This message has been edited by Jon`C (edited January 26, 2004).]
2004-01-26, 12:49 PM #10
In the new NWN expansion, you can hit criticals of 2055 with a scythe. A reglar, non-magical scythe. Pretty INSANE.

I think my best criticals were when my halberd-toting barbarian scored critical hits on 3 drow warriors in a row in the Path of Ascension module. Everyone was like... WHOA! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Eat the pudding.

↑ Up to the top!