Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Howard Dean's 'smart ID' plan
Howard Dean's 'smart ID' plan
2004-01-26, 9:01 AM #1
yikes [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

------------------
"So there I was completely naked and covered in tartar sauce..."
Ya know? Common sense? Not really that common...
2004-01-26, 9:12 AM #2
That's the way it's headed

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-26, 9:12 AM #3
Sure, they can install a smart-card reader on my machine . . . just as soon as they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

This will never come to pass. Theres far too many pricacy advocacy groups that would violently oppose it.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-26, 9:17 AM #4
Don't worry, after Dean's stellar preformance at the Iowa caucasas, I wouldn't put too much stock in anything he does.

------------------
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
2004-01-26, 9:42 AM #5
I just don't feel safe about the government being able to identify me anywhere.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-01-26, 9:56 AM #6
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bounty Hunter 4 hire:
I just don't feel safe about the government being able to identify me anywhere.

</font>

You and every other geek, myself included

------------------
2004-01-26, 9:57 AM #7
...Its not the end of the world, just build your own machine, and install linux on it, Not that hard at all

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-26, 10:14 AM #8
The only way I'd be for it is if he was forced to use it to. Doubt it'd actually be around long even if it was passed if he was forced to go through it as well.

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-01-26, 10:35 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
...Its not the end of the world, just build your own machine, and install linux on it, Not that hard at all

</font>

Yeah. Except they're talking about you NEED this to get onto the internet, or to do pretty much anything.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">If you think about it, the implication is that children would have to be issued cards as well. Are we talking about ID cards from birth?"</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">suggested that microchip-implanted smart cards could hold not only retinal scans or fingerprints but also "food stamps, voter registration, library cards, hunting and fishing licenses"</font>

You know, they could get stolen. That would be a catastrophe! I think a safer way would be to tattoe something on everyones arm, a number or barcode maybe.

Hmm.. does that sound familiar to anyone else?

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-26, 10:47 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by happydud:
I think a safer way would be to tattoe something on everyones arm, a number or barcode maybe.

Hmm.. does that sound familiar to anyone else?
</font>

Hey, I know that! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-01-26, 10:48 AM #11
Mark of the Beast, anyone?

This just reeks of the apocalypse or something. Seriously.

This guy is totally insane and always has been.

------------------
Ω of 14
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2004-01-26, 11:07 AM #12
this system wouldn't work for three reasons:

1. Terrorists would simply buy the necessary ID cards on the black market, thus giving them access to the system

2. The system could probably be hacked or circumvented, given enough time and a willingness to do it. If you get enough pissed off people working on it, the system would be cracked in mere hours.

3. How are they going to enforce it? Lots of people are not going to retrofit their machines if they have to pay for it themselves. There are millions and millions of older computers in the United States alone, not to mention the world. Even if the new computers came with the technology, what about all the older computers that are often still in signifigant use everywhere? Many public computers--the ones that would logically need such technology the most-- are not cutting edge new machines. (my local library still has a bunch of old pentium 1 and pentium 2 machines set up for public internet access.)

What are the feds going to do, barge into everyone's homes and force them to retrofit at gunpoint? Even if they tried to force it on me I would still tell them to go to hell.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited January 26, 2004).]
2004-01-26, 11:08 AM #13
WOOOOO YEAH! SMART CARDS! BRING 'EM ON! WOOOO!

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-01-26, 11:37 AM #14
It's simple really. The ISP's are required to have people scan their cards before they can log into the internet. The scanners could just be plugged in via USB or firewire.

boombang.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-26, 11:42 AM #15
Howard Dean is a dumbass

------------------
Member of the Minneassian Council
2004-01-26, 11:47 AM #16
this is tickling my "don't even think about it" nerve...

just sounds like a bad idea

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-01-26, 11:57 AM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by -Monoxide-:
Howard Dean is a dumbass</font>

Yes and no. Personally, I dont think he knows what he is talking about. He problably read it in some magazine some where, or was told it by an "advisor" over some weekend drinking and crack smoking binge.

The worst part of it is, *no* politician really understands technology. They make these laws with the idea that they can "police the internet" or the like, not realizing that their goal is utterly impossible.

The kicker is, most of the stuff I do from day to day, that doesnt affect anyone, breaks a few dozen laws. Laws that some clueless politician got written, without really understand what the law would do. These laws dont stop terrorism, they dont stop hackers, and they sure as hell wont stop me. Just as long as I dont get caught, anyway... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
2004-01-26, 12:09 PM #18
Quote:
Howard Dean is a dumbass

</font>

i always read that as: Dum Bass

------------------
<Genki> oh, where are you going, with beards all a waggin, no knowin no knowin what bring dear Mr. Baggins, and Balin, and Dwalin, here down in the vally Ah ha!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-01-26, 12:11 PM #19
GBK pretty much nailed it....I've yet to see a politician who truly understands technology. They are easily swayed by the "Blame technology for our inability to raise our kids properly!" and "All file sharing is evil!" crowds because they simply don't know better.

------------------
2004-01-26, 12:46 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by oSiRiS:
Mark of the Beast, anyone?

This just reeks of the apocalypse or something. Seriously.

</font>

anyone ever notice how almost all bar codes contain "666" (two thin lines at the very beginning, middle, and end)? interesting... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.

Boomtown Fireworks - Washington State fireworks retailer - huge selection!
2004-01-26, 1:05 PM #21
http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/barcode.asp

Snopes = win

------------------
2004-01-26, 3:08 PM #22
Quote:
Howard Dean is a dumbass

</font>

------------------
Ω of 14
2004-01-26, 3:31 PM #23
Bah. This bothers me, but not enough to consider weighing Dean's potential privacy-violating programs more heavily than Bush's confirmed and continuing privacy-violating programs and acts and departments.

2004-01-26, 4:16 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Howard Dean is a dumbass</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This guy is totally insane and always has been.</font>

DO YOU NOT SEE THE ERROR OF YOUR STATEMENT?

If someone had have said 'Bush' instead of 'Dean', you would have -

Ah, screw it.

------------------
Shut up. I'm GOING to do this whether you like it or not.
COUCHMAN IS BACK BABY
2004-01-26, 4:48 PM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tracer:
...Ah, screw it.</font>

No, no . . .explain yourself...

------------------
2004-01-26, 5:55 PM #26
The only difference between Bush and Dean is that Dean is proud he's nuts.

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-01-26, 5:58 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ictus:
Bah. This bothers me, but not enough to consider weighing Dean's potential privacy-violating programs more heavily than Bush's confirmed and continuing privacy-violating programs and acts and departments.

</font>

Thanks Ictus,
I didn't know there was a George W. Bush site.

------------------
2004-01-26, 7:27 PM #28
No no, don't take me for some partisan fool. Don't even try.

I've been following Dean for quite some time now, and the guy's absolutely nuts.

I don't support Bush in everything (immigration, patriot, expansion of government) so don't think that I do. It's just not true.

But honestly, if it's Howard Dean or Bush, I choose Bush. (Not that it will be, Dean will never win because he's psychotic)

------------------
Ω of 14

↑ Up to the top!