Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My eyeballs! The CONTACT LENSES do nothing!!!
My eyeballs! The CONTACT LENSES do nothing!!!
2004-01-25, 8:32 AM #1
My advice.

Dont get them.
I have scratched eyeballs, sore and red.
Contact lenses are a NIGHTMARE to use, to put them in s hard, to take them out is worse,

Viva la geeky glasses.

On the plus side, I dont look like such a tit.

------------------
"It was a slap in the face, how quickly I was replaced".
"Do you remember telling me you'd hold me until you died (until you died)... well you're still alive"

"I just love it when you stick your tongue in my brain, darling"
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-01-25, 8:35 AM #2
Awww don't quit after your first try [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
It took me like 2 weeks to get used to them, and I'm so glad I did. Once you get good at putting them in and taking them out, they're really no hassel at all. I love them so much more than glasses... glasses make my eyes burn [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-01-25, 8:38 AM #3
IT BURRRRRRRRNS US! NASTY EYE DOCTORS TWISTED IT!!!!!!!!

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-25, 8:46 AM #4
I've never given contact lenses a try. Never really thought about getting them either...

The worse part about glasses though, is that they are impossible to find if you lose them because you need them to see them. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-01-25, 8:55 AM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
Awww don't quit after your first try [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
It took me like 2 weeks to get used to them, and I'm so glad I did. Once you get good at putting them in and taking them out, they're really no hassel at all. I love them so much more than glasses... glasses make my eyes burn [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

</font>

exactly. you don't even feel contacts once you get used to the idea of them being there.

------------------
If there is a 50% chance that you are going to be right, there is a 90% chance that you will choose the wrong one ~SithNazgul, the 50-50-90 rule
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2004-01-25, 8:56 AM #6
I've heard of people being alergic to contacts.
even from the first day I tried them, I havent had any problems.

------------------
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
Immorality- 1 Cor. 6:18, 2 Tim. 2:22
Impure thoughts- Col. 3:2, Phil. 4:8
Alcohol- Eph. 5:18, Prov. 20:1
Anger- Gal. 5:22, Prov. 20:3
Pride- 1 Peter 5:5, Dan. 4:37
Worry- 1 Peter 5:7, Phil. 4:6-7
speech- James 1:26, Eph. 4:29-5:2
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2004-01-25, 8:57 AM #7
Never had any problems when I used them. (Not because of seeing problems, but due to scaryness-factor [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif])

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-01-25, 9:01 AM #8
Some people don't do well with hard contacts. You could given soft ones a try as well. But do give them more than a day and keep your eyes moist [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-25, 9:02 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
... and keep your eyes moist [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
</font>

ahaha, no wonder correction had not problems with them

------------------
I hate kids.
I hate kids.
2004-01-25, 9:12 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Common Sense:
ahaha, no wonder correction had not problems with them

</font>

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif]

------------------
2004-01-25, 9:15 AM #11
[http://www.spammers-paradise.com/forums/html//emoticons/crybaby.gif]

------------------
I hate kids.
I hate kids.
2004-01-25, 9:16 AM #12
Who are you?

------------------
2004-01-25, 9:18 AM #13
bashing isn't nice
also, i've got glasses and for the longest of time i've been wanting either contacts or if i was so lucky surgery

------------------
<Genki> oh, where are you going, with beards all a waggin, no knowin no knowin what bring dear Mr. Baggins, and Balin, and Dwalin, here down in the vally Ah ha!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-01-25, 9:37 AM #14
dude making the switch to contact lenses was like the best decision in my life. You can literally leave the dispoable ones in for a month and throw them away. I did this for 2 years until i got lasik.

------------------
-If you don't know, then don't ask...
-If you don't know, then don't ask...
2004-01-25, 9:38 AM #15
I AM using the soft lenses.

They gave me a headache today, and make my vison even worse without them.

------------------
"It was a slap in the face, how quickly I was replaced".
"Do you remember telling me you'd hold me until you died (until you died)... well you're still alive"

"I just love it when you stick your tongue in my brain, darling"
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-01-25, 9:41 AM #16
yeah, they'll do that until you get used to them. just keep wearing them, it shouldn't take long... and then you'll love them. trust me [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
2004-01-25, 9:51 AM #17
I say just go with perfect vision. No hassles, and much cheaper. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)
2004-01-25, 9:54 AM #18
Are you discriminating against the visually impaired?

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-01-25, 10:14 AM #19
I have never eally thought about getting contacts, i wuv my glasses [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
Signatures are overrated.

"You can run but you will only die tired."
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-01-25, 10:15 AM #20
I just don't like the idea of poking my eyeballs everyday. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] *hugs eyes for having over 20/20 vision*

------------------
Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[=-"The hardest thing is to forgive, but God does;
Even if you murdered or robbed, years wrong, but God loves;
Take one step toward him, he takes two toward you;
Even when all else fail, God supports you." - Nas
-=]

[This message has been edited by Sol (edited January 25, 2004).]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-01-25, 10:28 AM #21
If they make your eyes itch and burn, then you aren't putting them in correctly. And that probably means the doctor or assistant that showed you didn't know how to do it. I would ask someone with contacts to show you how they do it, or even look it up online, I'm sure there are some tips with pictutes; and yes, just pictures are enough to show you how to make it not suck when putting them in.

Headaches are probably due to a bad perscription. Infact, I'm almost certain. Either you aren't good at the "Which is better? 1 or 2..1 or 2" thing, or your doctor is an idiot. And I don't see how they could make your vision worse when you take them out. I could only think the the itching or pain or whatever is mucking up your eyes so that you can't see...But contacts work just like glasses in that they bend the light to assist your eyes, so they can't make your vision worse in that sense.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-01-25, 10:28 AM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DSettahr:
I've never given contact lenses a try. Never really thought about getting them either...

The worse part about glasses though, is that they are impossible to find if you lose them because you need them to see them. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

</font>

i dont need mine to see. I have astigmatism(sp?) so it just makes it harder to read realy small print and see writeing in a black/green contrast as easly.

------------------
your curiosity will get the better of YOU one day.
Jon`C:Irony is spelling 'quality' poorly.
Spork:Well I think 'Irony is spelling grammar poorly'
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)-@%
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2004-01-25, 10:46 AM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
If they make your eyes itch and burn, then you aren't putting them in correctly. And that probably means the doctor or assistant that showed you didn't know how to do it. I would ask someone with contacts to show you how they do it, or even look it up online, I'm sure there are some tips with pictutes; and yes, just pictures are enough to show you how to make it not suck when putting them in.

Headaches are probably due to a bad perscription. Infact, I'm almost certain. Either you aren't good at the "Which is better? 1 or 2..1 or 2" thing, or your doctor is an idiot. And I don't see how they could make your vision worse when you take them out. I could only think the the itching or pain or whatever is mucking up your eyes so that you can't see...But contacts work just like glasses in that they bend the light to assist your eyes, so they can't make your vision worse in that sense.

</font>

Um... do you wear contacts? Because most of that is pretty normal. The itching/burning is probably just from your eyes being irritated because they're unused to a contact being there, plus you've been poking and prodding them alot trying to get them in (once you get better at putting them in, it's alot easier on your eyes) It wouldn't be caused by putting them in incorrectly... the only incorrect way to put them in is inside out, and it'd cause some discomfort but not itching/burning.
The headache is again from your eyes adjusting. I had the same thing when I first got glasses, and again when I got contacts. Your eyes just aren't used to it, and the muscles are being used more than normal to focus correctly. Your vision probably isn't worse, but yet AGAIN you're used to not being able to see well, so it didn't seem so bad. Then suddenly, you have 20/15 vision, and everything looks so nice, then you take out the contacts and you realize how bad your vision really was. Again, I felt the same way...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited January 25, 2004).]
2004-01-25, 11:54 AM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Correction:
... they're really no hassel at all. I love them so much more than glasses...
</font>

No sir. This is a Hassel(hoff).

[http://home.hot.rr.com/fzone/hassel.jpg]

------------------
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation...
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation...
2004-01-25, 12:05 PM #25
*hides*

I'd take glasses over that any day [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]
(in response to farix)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Correction (edited January 25, 2004).]
2004-01-25, 12:05 PM #26
I hated my contacts with a passion, then I got these.

[http://server5.uploadit.org/files/llibja-omgme.jpg]

love em.

------------------
"Honey, you got real ugly."
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2004-01-25, 1:33 PM #27
It also depends on the brand you have. I started out with Acuview lenses, and I could feel the lenses sometimes when I blinked. After a few months I switched to Acuview2 lenses, and was very pleased because I couldn't feel them at all. However, I did notice that my eyes felt more irritated/sleepy when they were in. I've had AV2s for about 9 months now, and any part of my eye which is not covered by the lens is almost always slightly bloodshot with the tired feeling. I'm going to switch back to the AV1s for at least one batch to make sure its the 2s and not my eyes. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Clan: Definately give it some time. Even with what I described, I wouldn't go back to glasses unless dragged kicking and screaming (although, my -7.5 prescription may have something to do with that).

------------------
Young men make wars, and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of old men are the vices of peace: mistrust and caution. It must be so.
-Laurence of Arabia
Yen is but one part of a larger problem in japan's bumbling attempts to pull out of a seemingly endless stagnation -Googlism
2004-01-25, 2:05 PM #28
Contacts are great. They not a nuisance unlike glassses. Although, on really cold or hot days they do kind of dry up from time to time. Still I don't mind that too much, a couple of blinks and its better.
Always remember to clean them well before putting them on. Also take them off before you go to bed, unless you bought the special kind.
2004-01-25, 2:23 PM #29
Yes, I do, Correction. And anyone who does would know there are days when you slip or don't put them in evenly, and then you can feel them, or you don't rinse them off well enough and a little bit of dust or something is stuck on the inside. Properly rinsing them off and setting them, well I'd call that putting them in correctly.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Emon (edited January 25, 2004).]
2004-01-25, 3:35 PM #30
Oh, sorry then I guess. I would have put that under "not cleaning them correctly" [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
2004-01-25, 4:11 PM #31
I thought about getting contact lens.....but im fine with glasses. That, and i dont wnat anything on or in my eyes until im dead

------------------
"What I find especially funny are the neo-Celtic religions based on accounts made by the Romans. It's like learning about Judaism from Nazi lore." --stat

[This message has been edited by Kieran Horn (edited January 25, 2004).]
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2004-01-25, 5:45 PM #32
If you were paying attention, you'd know I was referring to when you rinse them off after removing them from their container. When you take them off, you rub them with solution (or don't if you're lazy or have that new "No Rub" stuff (if it even works)), and place them in a container. And that cleaning is to help remove protein buildup, not remove dust, hairs or other fuzzy objects that may stick when you take them out in the morning. When I wake up, I go to put my contacts in. I take them out, give them a quick rinse on each side, and properly set them into my eyes. Gee, sure seems like the process of putting in my contacts in the morning.

------------------
2004-01-26, 5:44 AM #33
i've had glasses for the past four years and after the last and continuing insident with my glasses i'm really thinking of contacts...

reason...my current pair of glasses broke, one of the arms completly broke off, would need to solder it back on, I don't have a spare pair...so i'm currently having to hold my glasses in place in lectures/watching tv/...god help me when/if i have to drive.

So i go to my local opticians, for my last two pairs they have been able to make them within the hour....so i don't expect anything different this time. Choose the new frames & lens and i'm then told i'll have to wait A MONTH...ask if its coz of the frames, no, it'll just take a MONTH....ggeee, £200 (most i've spent on glasses before) and I have to wait a month....ggrrr

i'm getting contacts as soon as poss....glasses really get on my nerves, especially when i'm doing sport or anything....eg windsurfing, you can't do with glasses on so i have to go literally blind, can't see the water infront of me in focus, hence don't know *fully* what the wind is like, have to guess, pain in the arse....

from this thread it sounds as if contacts are on the pretty good as long as you use them right.

------------------
I heard someone say once that the world is a fine place and that it was worth fighting for....I agree with the last part.

People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots website

[This message has been edited by James Bond (edited January 26, 2004).]
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2004-01-26, 1:54 PM #34
They take getting used to, as many new things do in life. I realize they are not for everyone, but I find it foolish to damn them after a day of use (hopefully Ruthven has reconsidered).

------------------
2004-01-26, 3:57 PM #35
I agree with the general thought here... they just take some time to get used to just relax and keep at it... remember no pain no beauty right?

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-01-26, 4:04 PM #36
contacts are a bytch at first, but then you get used to them.

I'm waiting to see what the long-term side effects of lasik are before I let them zap me. It reminds me of that one simpson's episode where Bart sees his future.

Ralph: Mr Flanders, youre blinded-ed!

Flanders: Yeah, I never should have had that trendy laser surgery-- it was great at first, but at the ten year mark your eyes fall out.

[http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.

[This message has been edited by Pagewizard_YKS (edited January 26, 2004).]
2004-01-26, 7:54 PM #37
Emon, you should try the no rub stuff, it's pretty good. All i do is empty out the old solution and put new solution in the container before taking out my contacts and putting them in the container for the night. It does a pretty good job of removing dust particles, hair, and pretty much anything else.

Clan Ruthvain, dust would be my first guess for any burning/itching sensation. Putting them inside-out for any itching/hurting sensation. And off-set contacts for any pressure/hurting sensation. Also, any burning/itching sensation might be due to not rinsing your hands completely of the soap before putting in your contacts.

It's really not that bad once you get used to it. It WILL take a while. I've had mine for well over 4 months and i still fight for sometimes 15min trying to put them in. But a lot of the time now, I place it perfectly on my eye the first time. When i first started, it'd take me anywhere from 30-60min. But anyhow, like I said, you'll get use to it.

One last tip, don't wear them for extended hours (20+). They'll become very hard to get out. Hang in there.

------------------
Try not, do; or do not.
Math is infinitely finite, while the universe is finitely infinite. PI = QED

↑ Up to the top!