Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Bill Gates turns prophet...
Bill Gates turns prophet...
2004-01-26, 1:43 AM #1
...see?
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Gates predicts the death of spam

Sunday, January 25, 2004

Spam will be dead in two years if Microsoft boss Bill Gates gets his way.

Gates made the bold prediction at the World Economic Forum, an annual gathering of business leaders in the Swiss skiing village of Davos.

Current anti-spam software uses filtering to remove e-mails with certain words that frequently show up in junk mail.

Some spammers have fought back by leaving tell-tale words out of the subject line and providing only an Internet link to their marketing message.

"Lots of mail you get is from people on your contact list. So what's the problem? Strangers!" said Gates.

The new software would require that any incoming e-mail from an unfamiliar address prove that it isn't spam, he said.

For this, Gates described three possible strategies.

One would send a puzzle back to the spammer. The e-mail would be accepted only if the puzzle were solved.

The second would require a spammer's computer to tackle a calculation. Having to do the calculation repetitively would prove costly to the sender, Gates said.

The third approach would hit spammers in the pocketbook.

It would require senders to pay a fee to a recipient. If the

e-mail is legitimate, the recipient could choose to reject the fee.

© Copyright 2004 Calgary Herald</font>

It would be nice, but in the world of computers, somebody will find a way around this. There's always a way around this kind of stuff. I think Gates is wasting his time. But I don't think he's wasting his money... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-01-26, 2:37 AM #2
Agreed.

I'm liking that "fee to the recipient" idea, though.

------------------
Young men make wars, and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of old men are the vices of peace: mistrust and caution. It must be so.
-Laurence of Arabia
Yen is but one part of a larger problem in japan's bumbling attempts to pull out of a seemingly endless stagnation -Googlism
2004-01-26, 4:01 AM #3
I must say, I am impressed by how well Hotmail has recently done in getting rid of spam. I've received maybe...four...spam messages in the past week.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-26, 4:22 AM #4
Not everything bad in computers lives forever, boot viruses and Realplayer didn't.
2004-01-26, 4:24 AM #5
Yeah, we're gonna see the postal service take over emailing soon.. I just know it

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-26, 4:28 AM #6
bulls***. Always another way. SPAM SPAMS SPAM. HAHAHAHHAHAH.

------------------
Madquack and Firbnic have a signature.
*Remnant Temple beta almost done*
Light And Darkness
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-01-26, 6:22 AM #7
Does anybody out there actually buy products that they see in spam e-mail? Because, theoretically, if there was nobody buying anything from the spamming companies, then they would stop sending spam.

------------------
Death to all who oppose me!
Stuff
2004-01-26, 9:01 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kyle90:
Does anybody out there actually buy products that they see in spam e-mail? Because, theoretically, if there was nobody buying anything from the spamming companies, then they would stop sending spam.

</font>

They just need that one idiot to make a profit.

------------------
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
"For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."
-Robert Jastrow
2004-01-26, 9:15 AM #9
Gates is a fool. Theres no chance of MS "defeating spam", and certainly not within 2 years. In 20, MAYBE, but not 2.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GHORG:
Not everything bad in computers lives forever, boot viruses and Realplayer didn't.</font>

Uhh . . . Realplayer is still around...

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-26, 9:19 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
I must say, I am impressed by how well Hotmail has recently done in getting rid of spam. I've received maybe...four...spam messages in the past week.

</font>

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: life in the massassi temple
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-01-26, 9:22 AM #11
I love how all of these solutions don't require the myriad of ISPs to update their email servers. Because they never do.
2004-01-26, 10:21 AM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kyle90:

</font>

I dunno look at the spam artists at AOL. Constantly sending out free CDs, and yet I doubt very many really use them. Well obviously most probably use them to get free accounts so they can troll around things and whatnot, but other than that?...

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-01-26, 10:28 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Uhh . . . Realplayer is still around...

</font>

We like to pretend it's not. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-26, 10:46 AM #14
It doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-26, 11:22 AM #15
Bll Gates is silly.

Lets spam him.

------------------
"It was a slap in the face, how quickly I was replaced".
"Do you remember telling me you'd hold me until you died (until you died)... well you're still alive"

"I just love it when you stick your tongue in my brain, darling"
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-01-26, 2:33 PM #16
Heheh.. Speaking of spamming Gatesy.

Last year in gym class, this jockish guy I knew from middle school (we're both in high School now, I hate him as much now as I did then) said, "Zac, (me) I need you to do me a favor."
"Yess..?"
"I need you to hack into Bill Gates' computer and get his email address."
<hardly able to contain laughter> "Oook.. why?"
"I have a great idea for him."

Hehe.. Itw as funny. He spent the next week trying to convince me to use my magical "hax0r.exe" program to get his email addy.

Funnies.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-26, 4:19 PM #17
I'M CALLING THE COPS!

/me runs off

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-01-26, 4:45 PM #18
/me h@x0rz MW's phones..

No coppers for j00!

------------------
2004-01-26, 4:45 PM #19
Quote:

</font>

The only spam I get in my hotmail account is from Microsoft.

------------------
AGONetwork
Bobbert006:The other day my dad said, "I think the world has passed me by."
I told him he isn't missing anything.

AGONetwork
2004-01-26, 4:47 PM #20
Some people have to realize something:

Bill Gates is not, never has been, and will not for quite a while, stupid. He has as much money as he does for a reason, and its not neccessarily just because of the monopoly. Although GBK has something to say about his Linux stuff, and although I'm being somewhat hypocritical writing this from a Mac, there's a reason why the majority of people own a PC. Bill Gates could have made millions upon millions of mistakes, and somehow it seems like he has done nothing wrong yet (obviously he has made some mistakes, but not nearly as many as ya'all credit him for), but everything he plans to do is destined to fail. Its ridiculous.

It was cute for a bit I guess, but all there is a plethora of this "BILL GATES IS SATAN" talk going around, and its completely unecessary.

------------------
To myself I surrender to the one I'll never please.
But I still try to run on.
You know I still try to run on. But it's all or none.

Eddie Vedder
former entrepreneur
2004-01-26, 4:54 PM #21
Eversor, I called Bill Gates a fool because he actully believes that his damned company can 'rid the word of spam'. Its an absurd notion that only goes to show how much crack this guy has been smoking lately.

...Hrm, I had the really great speach laid out about how MS isnt really evil . . . but I wont want this to turn into a flamewar....

------------------
2004-01-26, 5:00 PM #22
Just to put in my two cents about this whole thing..

I DESPISE SPAM! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif] it's just a fact of internet life that I hate. Now, I have a hotmail account with the highest security on the junk mail filter, so only people who are on my safe list get to my inbox, which does help. but after time, the spam still accumulates in my junk mail folder and if I don't check in even a week the number climbs to over 500 emails!!!

I've had this email for a good 5 years, so that might be a reason why there's so much spam. But Honestly.... Companies that have to resort to bothering people in EVERY Single aspect of their lives (including online) are obviously pretty desperate for business! And if you look at the AMOUNT of spam, that's a lot of desperate companies; and don't even TRY and get me started on chain letters.. they're not even automated and they piss me off too!! The people who start them obviously have no time on their hands... or they're playing a joke, but in that case it's funny.

Ok, enough of that...

To comment on the whole Bill Gates thing, I'll give him credit for being a very intelligent man, but I think he also has to realize that the rest of the world has started catching up with him. There will always be spam, to the disappointment to more than a few people.. With the development of new computer systems and new technologies constantly accelerating, there's no way to stop Spam dead in it's tracks, it's just something we'll have to live with.

I think I'll live with my Junk mail filter... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Fragment Thoughts consume my vision.
No-one knows what it's like to be the bad man,
to be the sad man Behind Blue Eyes.

- The Who
2004-01-26, 5:15 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Bill Gates turns prophet...
</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
The third approach would hit spammers in the pocketbook.
</font>

I believe you misspelled profit.

------------------
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation...
2004-01-26, 5:27 PM #24
Quote:
Eversor, I called Bill Gates a fool because he actully believes that his damned company can 'rid the word of spam'. Its an absurd notion that only goes to show how much crack this guy has been smoking lately.</font>

....Microsoft has a much better chance of affecting spam than the Linux afficionados do. World's largest company vs. a group that's too disorganized to keep their kernel from speciating? Care to explain your logic, or will you just sob and post another rant about how making a profit is evil?

If anybody has a chance to solve this problem, it's Microsoft. Deal.
2004-01-26, 5:54 PM #25
Quote:
Eversor, I called Bill Gates a fool because he actully believes that his damned company can 'rid the word of spam'. Its an absurd notion that only goes to show how much crack this guy has been smoking lately.</font>

Printing chips to silicon wafers was an absurd idea. How can stopping junk mail be any more absurd?

Also stop insulting someone who operates a buisiness that thrives on intelligence and ingenunity. Gates knows more about software than you think, kiddo. He's been a nerd longer than you've been alive.

------------------
2004-01-26, 6:12 PM #26
I admit he must have had some real smarts back in the day. But now he's just a stupid greedy jerk driven by the $. No real care to the customers or anything, just as long as he can get money from Windows and the several things you will need to "stabilize" it.

------------------
2004-01-26, 6:18 PM #27
I can't believe some of you people. No matter what Bill Gates does, you just laugh at him and call him stupid. At least he's ****ing trying to DO something about spam. Microsoft probably has the best chance of anybody of halting the endless flow of Junk E-mail.
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-01-26, 6:21 PM #28
It doesn't seem like a radical idea, anti-spam has been around for years. I haven't gotten any spam in a very long time.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-01-26, 6:57 PM #29
Quote:

</font>

No wonder I no longer am getting alot of e-mails. This started when my mom said to stay off the computer forever (lasted a few weeks), and I noticed when I got on, I never had e-mail. I thought I broke it.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-01-27, 6:21 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Uhh . . . Realplayer is still around...</font>

Yeah and PDP-11's are still around, but do they get used?
2004-01-27, 6:26 AM #31
Its ironic the only email I got today was from MSN gaming zone.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Burrie|WatchingFromTheShadows holds up a skeleton's head. "= or !=. That is the statement."</font>
2004-01-27, 8:12 AM #32
I must say Hotmail has done well in de-spamming my Inbox - daily I get a lot of annoying loans and finance e-mails etc. etc. which get plonked automatically into my Junk Folder... I can remember a dark time when my masculine self received an e-mail asking me if I wanted breast implants... the world is far less mad now - thank God! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Whatever Bill, Sir Bill or whoever is up to, I applaud him for trying to tackle these nuisance people.

------------------
"So... Graham Andrew Rutland [Gee_4ce]... well, it says here that Graham and Andrew mean... strong and manly!" - My girl Naomi whilst consulting a big book of names...
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets

↑ Up to the top!