Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Australia Day/today's society
Australia Day/today's society
2004-01-27, 4:59 AM #1
Australia has always been very patriotic, in the lazy iconic way our countrymen operate, so Australia Day (Jan 26th) is always a day of extreme celebration and general freedom. This year, though, in my hometown of Perth, it went too far.

Traditionally, one will spend the day in varying degrees of alcoholic bliss, and then find their way down to one of our river shores, where a massive fireworks display is visible at night. I went down there, expecting a cheerful albeit rowdy night, and was instead greeted by something more like a cell block riot.

A group of people - numbering over a thousand - had gathered at the centre of my foreshore and had, in the spirit of humanity and friendship, decided to celebrate Australia Day by laying into each other with bottles, sticks and fists. Our police force, hopelessly outnumbered and ill-equipped for such a situation (remember the Australian casual approach to life), was all but defenceless. I had never seen such a disturbing sight in my life; that a group of people would suddenly decide to beat the crap out of each other on a river bank with children and assorted impressionable youth on a day of national pride is...beyond me. I sat under a tree, feeling like I was in a dream, whistling Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" as two young men literally beat each other into the ground.

It got worse. My group went back to a friend's house - she and her family live in a huge house right on the river. Feeling slightly more secure, I was just about to go to bed when another partygoer - this one in his late 20s, obviously drunk, drugged, and ready to go 30 rounds with a mutant alligator, as Max Payne would put it - broke into the house and nearly attacked this poor girl's hysterical mother. Fortunately, the guys and I were quick to respond, ushering the girls upstairs and forcing the guy outside, but we were a good 12 years younger than he looked, and he was beyond reasoning. He nearly choked my friend to death; he has extensive bruising and cuts to his neck.

Barely a block away, the McDonald's I used to work at was the site of a vicious knife fight between two gangs - one participant is in hospital in a critical condition.

In conclusion: I know some of you would now like to prove how much bigger you are by telling a story much bigger and life-endangering than that one. Please don't. I believe you, and besides, it wasn't what I was getting at. Does anyone else feel scared at the direction society is headed? I never thought it would happen to Australia, that's my point.

It's the scariest thing that could ever happen to you; your society catches up with the rest of the world.
The Last True Evil - consistent nobody in the Discussion Forum since 1998
2004-01-27, 5:27 AM #2
What the devil started it? We had peaceful and enjoyable Australia Day celebrations over here. Except both Aussies left in the Tennis lost. Bah.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-27, 5:32 AM #3
I know where this thread is going...

However, that is truly sad. Especially the guy breaking into the house..i mean, even a massive brawl is something you can at least just leave, but breakign into someone's house? Ugh.

------------------
WOOSH.
-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-01-27, 5:50 AM #4
I saw it on the News. My first thought was "****ing morons."

I would have never thought this kind of thing would happen in Australia, and on Australia Day for that matter. It's just absurd. Probably the influence of too many people in the 15-19 age group watching a little too much Jackass. -_-

But I'm sure it'll just be blamed on video games, and the probable under-parenting of the youths will be ignored completely. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-01-27, 5:53 AM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jin:

But I'm sure it'll just be blamed on video games, and the probable under-parenting of the youths will be ignored completely. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

</font>

The politicians wouldnt have it any other way!

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-27, 6:10 AM #6
I heard about a thousand people were involved? At any rate 300 were taken off in ambulances.

I missed the whole event, I was still sleeping in from a bit of a wild night the night before.

Another massassian in perth...
2004-01-27, 6:49 AM #7
January 26th was my mother's birthday, but there were no drunken brawls or knife fights to speak of.
2004-01-27, 7:11 AM #8
Go gun control!

Sorry, that's a different thread.

------------------
Young men make wars, and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of old men are the vices of peace: mistrust and caution. It must be so.
-Laurence of Arabia
Yen is but one part of a larger problem in japan's bumbling attempts to pull out of a seemingly endless stagnation -Googlism
2004-01-27, 8:59 AM #9
Well that sucks.

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: life in the massassi temple
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-01-27, 9:05 AM #10
Arrgh, people like that, breaking into other peoples houses etc. always make me mad.

KAIKKI SAUNAN TAAKSE JA LUOTI KALLOON! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/rolleyes.gif]

------------------
<landfish> FastGamerr > Satan
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2004-01-27, 9:06 AM #11
tehehe.. he went mad

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-27, 10:56 AM #12
I wouldn't go giving up on our society for one bad day [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] There was nothing like that around here on that day.....most eventful thing was a crocodile showing up on a local beach.....so, yeah, pretty boring. We played scrabble.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-01-27, 11:14 AM #13
No wonder I like Aussies...their pride day is my BDay!

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-27, 1:29 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Last True Evil:
Does anyone else feel scared at the direction society is headed? </font>

Yes.

------------------
Kids must be shot by Monday.

Honesty tests for workers can't be trusted, report says.

Psychopaths are unpredictable.

Jay Leno's Headlines > Everything

[This message has been edited by bobafett765 (edited January 27, 2004).]
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-01-27, 1:40 PM #15
Well, better they fight eachother like that than with nuclear arms.

You can't hug your children with nuclear arms!

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-01-27, 1:51 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jin:

</font>

Grr i know, no one even slightly intelligent would be influenced by a game to mindlessly beat other people to a pulp.

And sorry that your day was ruined The Last True Evil [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Signatures are overrated.

"You can run but you will only die tired."
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-01-27, 2:49 PM #17
Apology accepted BurrBoy, though you were hardly the root of all my problems [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

And now, the greatest joke of it all; our major newspaper, The West Australian, gave the order to make the disgusting events of Australia Day page 3. On page 1, in true mocking irony, is an article entitled; "A Fair Go For All?", an underdog story about how police wrongfully tried to take alcohol from all the underage brawlers and ignored the old ladies watching the fireworks from corporate tents.

It might just have been my position, but I sure didn't see any old ladies participating in the riot...
The Last True Evil - consistent nobody in the Discussion Forum since 1998

↑ Up to the top!