Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → video cards
video cards
2004-01-26, 3:43 PM #1
hey, i was just wondering what your opinions are on a new video card..if you could tell me of a few good ones that would be helpfull
2004-01-26, 3:45 PM #2
What do you have now?

The best card out, imo, is the 9800 XT, but that may be overkill depending on what the card will be going into.

------------------
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2004-01-26, 3:45 PM #3
Let's just say my 256mb 9800 Pro and I share a disturbingly intimate relationship.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-01-26, 3:47 PM #4
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro or better if you have any intention on playing many of the games coming out this year

NOTE: the Radeon 9500 falls into this range

and the card really depends on the system... putting a super fast card into a slower system wouldn't be much faster than putting a not quite as fast card into the same system

------------------
wang is within all

[This message has been edited by DrkJedi82 (edited January 26, 2004).]
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-01-26, 3:56 PM #5
umm this is going to sound dumb but is there a way i can find out my specs because i dont remember
2004-01-26, 4:02 PM #6
Right clicking on My Computer and going to properties helps. Look through your control panel. But I'd suggest Radeon 9500 Pro, Radeon 9600 Pro, and Radeon 9700 and up. Wouldn't suggest nVidia unless you're going Linux.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-26, 4:05 PM #7
9800 pro are worth $100 more.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it</font>

---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
whenever any form of government becomes destructive to securing the rights of the governed, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it
---Thomas jefferson, Declaration of Independance.
2004-01-26, 4:06 PM #8
nVidia is great, it's just that the FX series isn't the best they've ever had. One sub-par product is no reason to boycott the company forever (not saying you were saying that Dj).

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-01-26, 4:19 PM #9
ok i found some spec's and i wanna make my computer a little faster because it is slow but i cant buy a new computer so tell me some parts

computer specs
intel celeron
256mb syncDRAM
40 gb hardrive
3d agp graphics

tell me if you need more
2004-01-26, 4:22 PM #10
Can you find out how fast the celery is?

Or, if its a prebuilt, whats the brand and model number so we can look it up and see some more detailed specs.

------------------
2004-01-26, 4:22 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dj Yoshi:
Wouldn't suggest nVidia unless you're going Linux.

</font>

Is that so? I have linux and a Radeon 9800 Pro. I havn't installed the linux drivers yet, are they the problem?

------------------
Mystic0 Editing Resources
Mystic0 Forum
The Massassi Post Count Summary(link works now)
2004-01-26, 4:40 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
nVidia is great, it's just that the FX series isn't the best they've ever had....</font>

This is one of those really rare moments where I actully agree with something Emon says...

Ive been using nVidia cards for years, and I love them. They make bloody good cards, and bloody good drivers. (I havent had a chance to try out the FX series yet, though)

ATI, on the other hand . . . well, they make good cards, but bugger if their drivers dont suck so bad they make Logitech's drivers look good.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-26, 4:43 PM #13
That celeron is probably slowing everything fown, a lot.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-26, 4:44 PM #14
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
That celeron is probably slowing everything fown, a lot.

</font>

Most definitely.

------------------
2004-01-26, 4:46 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
ATI, on the other hand . . . well, they make good cards, but bugger if their drivers dont suck so bad they make Logitech's drivers look good.
</font>

When is the last time you have used an ATI card? There driver problems are over, I haven't had a problem with ATI's drivers since the Radeon 7000 days.

------------------
2004-01-26, 4:46 PM #16
yes, celeron = not good at all

------------------
landfish -Official Massasi Brute Squad Member.....ph34r meh
wraa!
7 of 14 in the council of 14
"im not close-minded. you're just wrong" -Bucky Katt "Get Fuzzy"
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2004-01-26, 4:47 PM #17
well the brand is **** but it is emachines and model is t1116
2004-01-26, 4:48 PM #18
Upgrade your RAM. Now. To at least 512. Preferrably 1024.

And I recommend the 9600 XT, unless have that extra $100-$200 to burn.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-26, 4:49 PM #19
My GF4 Ti4600 is still a surprisingly sturdy little card, although I'm finally starting to have to turn down some options.
2004-01-26, 4:53 PM #20
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:

</font>

......er....ATI drivers used to have a bad rep, but for at least the past year they've been pretty DAMN good. I've only ever had an issue with one game which was fixed quickly.

------------------
2004-01-26, 4:55 PM #21
ok i was looking at ram and i was wondering does it really matter what kind i get?
2004-01-26, 4:56 PM #22
Looking up the t1116, it says you only have a 1.1ghz cel. Anything above a Geforce 4 would be overkill, imo. More RAM is always good.

------------------
2004-01-26, 4:57 PM #23
You need SDRAM for that comp. Anything that is PC133 would be fine for you.

------------------
2004-01-26, 4:57 PM #24
Depends what your motherboard can support.

------------------
2004-01-26, 5:01 PM #25
Try to buy the same kind that's in your computer already. Unfortunatly to find the brand you'll probably have to take the case off and actually look at the sticks.
Graphics card wise I just got a Radeon 9800 for $200 at Circuit City. Best bargain (if they're still this cheap, not sure) but the new FX 5900SE from e-VGA is also a great deal. It usually runs around $180.
For a new processor your best bet is an AMD +2500 Athlon XP. I have mine overclocked to 3200+ speeds with only a bit of a temp increase. The 2500+ go for around $90.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-01-26, 5:03 PM #26
thanks for all the help guys anyway...so would a RADEON 9200 and some more ram maybe be good or what cause i am planing n maybe playing some new games comeing out this year.
2004-01-26, 5:13 PM #27
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Tofu:

For a new processor your best bet is an AMD +2500 Athlon XP. I have mine overclocked to 3200+ speeds with only a bit of a temp increase. The 2500+ go for around $90.
</font>

uhm you forgot to mention he would need a new motherboard for that processor... and with emachines just any motherboard probably won't fit

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-01-26, 6:09 PM #28
I thought he already knew he would have to upgrade his mobo.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-01-26, 11:33 PM #29
kingfu, what do you actually want?
A system able to run new games, as you said?

You'd need to invest|replace a tad more for that, like the mainboard+RAM+cpu for a start

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...so would a RADEON 9200 and some more ram maybe be good or what cause i am planing n maybe playing some new games comeing out this year.</font>

-> no!

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore

[This message has been edited by Molgrew (edited January 27, 2004).]
2004-01-27, 11:20 AM #30
Get one of those new TNT2 jobbies. I hear they run Doom at over 20fps!

------------------
Yeah, but you know what? This one, this one right here, this was my dream, my wish, and it didn't come true. So I'm takin' it back. I'm takin' 'em all back.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-27, 11:32 AM #31
Get a new comp man. eMachines blow it HARD. And the FX series is the most powerful of the nVidias, so I'd say as of right now they suck. And for a while, they HAVE sucked. Past year +. Get Radeon 9600 and/or higher and you've got a more powerful card than the equivalent nVidia in price. Also, I wouldn't upgrade that machine. Save your money, get a new comp, as stated earlier. BTW, ATi's drivers own, if you don't notice. My old 7500 LE got 30 FPS on UT2k3, 800x600x32 low settings, with a 700 celron and 192 SDRAM. Tell me that's not powa [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]. Unfortunately, I'm now the not-so-proud owner of a GeForce4 Ti4400 128 MB, and while it runs well, it's nVidia, and the interface/extras are teh suck. Next card I'm shooting for the 9800XT. Like that's gonna happen anytime soon.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-27, 12:51 PM #32
see i cant buy a new system i have no job or sorce of income and the video card was just a birthday present so i rather have that than nothing plus i am trying to get some more ram also that way i will have 512 instead of 256.. but i am going to save a little more for a new computer..yes emachines blow..
2004-01-27, 12:59 PM #33
I just bought myself a Geforce 5950 ult

and its great.
2004-01-27, 2:04 PM #34
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kingfu:
see i cant buy a new system i have no job or sorce of income and the video card was just a birthday present so i rather have that than nothing plus i am trying to get some more ram also that way i will have 512 instead of 256.. but i am going to save a little more for a new computer..yes emachines blow..</font>

It's quite possible that your system will be too slow to even achieve a performance boost from just a new video card.

------------------
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)
2004-01-27, 4:41 PM #35
well thanks for all your help in decideing what to upgrade and what video card i am now leaning towrd Radeon 9600 SE..

↑ Up to the top!