Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → new virus/worm?
new virus/worm?
2004-01-26, 12:42 PM #1
this last day, I've gotten about a dozen emails from random people (some working for Verizon, Winzip, etc) with the subject line "hi" or "test". All messages are about 32 kb, and contain a zipped attachment file (which I obviously didn't open). Has anyone else been getting these?

------------------
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.
Pyro Universe The ultimate place for fireworks lovers! Learn how to put on your own show! Fireworks diagrams, instructions, pictures, safety tips, links, and a message board.

Boomtown Fireworks - Washington State fireworks retailer - huge selection!
2004-01-26, 12:44 PM #2
sounds like something I used to get for about a year, and only stopped around sometime this last summer. :x

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
2004-01-26, 12:44 PM #3
I haven't but there is a new worm going around

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nf/20040120/tc_nf/23028

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-26, 12:45 PM #4
Not me.

I just get email in frickin' haxor talk

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-01-26, 2:04 PM #5
[Insert anti-windows pro-linux flamebait here]

Viruses coming via email is really, really easy to avoid, just by following this advice: DONT OPEN ATTACHMENTS...

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-26, 2:07 PM #6
its still annoying though to get an inbox full of them :\

at least with most ad-spam you can click the little links to remove you from their lists. most people don't take the time to do that, but I've actually started doing it and have noticed a huge decrease in my spam intake... obviously, though, viruses aren't going to provide the same courtisy [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
2004-01-26, 2:17 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Avenger:
I haven't but there is a new worm going around...</font>

Not a worm, an email virus. A virus usually requires the user to do something... Run an application, usually. Worms, on the other hand, spread without user interaction.

------------------
2004-01-26, 2:25 PM #8
I knew that [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

STOP LOOKING AT ME!!!!

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-26, 3:26 PM #9
GBK info to go.

------------------
Madquack and Firbnic have a signature.
*Remnant Temple beta almost done*
Light And Darkness
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-01-26, 4:18 PM #10
Oh, great! Another POS to worry about! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/mad.gif]

No, I haven't gotten any...yet...

------------------
I am Darth Slaw.
The Dark Lord of the Sith,
And part of the Nightfire mod team

[This message has been edited by Darth Slaw (edited January 26, 2004).]
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-01-26, 6:10 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Prince Xizor:
GBK info to go.</font>

WTF?

There IS a new virus out; "Novarg I wonder if there will be any other new viruses before Feb... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
2004-01-26, 9:22 PM #12
Where can I get a demo?

And what happens after the 30 day trial? Does it stop stuffing up your HD?

------------------
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Ab Hoc Possum Videre Domum Tuum
(I can see your house from up here)
"But he's not going to carry you three" said Death.
"Why not?"
"It's a matter of the look of the thing"
"It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it" said War testily, "the One Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse"

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2004-01-27, 7:06 AM #13
Great! I got some of those
"test" and
"Hello" or "Hi"
emails today. I deleted them. Here is a list of the email addresses I got them from, though, after reading on some of the new viruses, they may be fake addresses to hide their origins.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">theundead@mindspring.com
eliston@mines.edu
eparker1962@aol.com
bursar@vt.edu</font>

I also heard that there was a new virus intended to, on Feb 1, shut down/crash the Linux Computer system because Linux is filing lawsuits against users who used copyrighted code.

And I got this message, too.
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">From administrator@vt.edu:
Your email address was listed as the sender of a message emailed to sandra@vt.edu, dated 01/27/04 00:47:59, containing the W32/MyDoom-A virus in the document.pif attachment. The action taken was: deleted the attachment.

You may not have sent this virus; some viruses, such as SOBIG, KLEZ, SIRCAM, and others, regularly spoof, or falsify, the sender address to hide their origin. This message is sent to warn you to virus check your system if you do not do so regularly, and if you do, that others may accuse you of having sent them a virus, even if you did not do so. It does *not* necessarily mean your system is infected.
</font>

Believe me, I NEVER SENT A VIRUS TO ANYONE, at least not deliberately!!!

------------------
I am Darth Slaw.
The Dark Lord of the Sith,
And part of the Nightfire mod team

[This message has been edited by Darth Slaw (edited January 27, 2004).]
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-01-27, 7:08 AM #14
Some "Kirby" sent me a "Hi" e-mail today.. I almost opened the damn thing because I thought it was Brandon. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-01-27, 9:16 AM #15
I've gotten a ton of those lately in 3 of my email accounts (one school, one personal, and one for my band) and I've run Anti-Virus software on my computer (which I got updated last night btw) and my computer is clean. This virus spam mail is sooooo annoying though.

------------------
please
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2004-01-27, 7:23 PM #16
I run live update on NAV every time a virus makes the news. I should do it more, but I forget.

------------------
--Hinch
Terry Hinch's Web Comic
All opinions expressed by Hinch are the explicit views of Hinch, and only Hinch and his 7 other personalities. In the event that said personalities are in dispute, the majority shall prevail. All opinions are held in perpetuity of the present, past, and future throughout this universe, mirror universes, and all multi-verses, including alternate time lines.
In Pride,
--Hinch
I had a disclaimer here, but the man said it was too long.

↑ Up to the top!