Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Anime mini series {spoilers - Berserk&Trigun)
Anime mini series {spoilers - Berserk&Trigun)
2004-01-25, 7:54 PM #1
Ive watched the full series of both Berserk and Trigun and liked them both. I kinda want to see more, is there any other series that are about 26 episodes long total? I like the action but it has to have some kind of continuity to it all. Not like some anime movies where at some points your just left saying "WhA???, what happened there? who is that??why is he doiing that??"

Berserk
Its freaking awesome (Except for the last 2 episodes which I did not like at all) The main character Gatts is a great character as are all the characters. you get to see a definaite progression in relationships between the characters. And the fights, dont get me started on that. They blew me away. That big sword rocks in the 100 man massacre. Also when he goes on the assasination mission. It always rocks.

Trigun
I think someone said it here first. Gun, pure sex. Trench coat, pure sex. The series is great too. Vash is a bit of a dork but he grows on you. I liked the whole train incident with the neon gang and anything with the gung-ho guns

------------------
Dont press the red button. Whatever you do, DO NOT press the red button......you just pressed the red button didnt you?
The tips at the end of shoelaces are called "aglets". Their true purpose is sinister.
2004-01-25, 8:04 PM #2
In order of MUST WATCH importance:

Cowboy Bebop
Evangelion
Noir
.hack//SIGN (Because I love it)
Rah Xephon
Naruto (Ongoing series, 67+ eps)
Getbackers (49 eps)
E's Otherwise
Spriggun (Spraygun)

------------------
.hack//SIGN - The World - Just Believe

(Yes, This is Cool Matty)

2004-01-25, 8:23 PM #3
I know its asking alot but could you give a brief overview of what each one is about. Like are they mechs, midevil, futuristic guns,....that kind of thing

------------------
Dont press the red button. Whatever you do, DO NOT press the red button......you just pressed the red button didnt you?
The tips at the end of shoelaces are called "aglets". Their true purpose is sinister.
2004-01-25, 8:41 PM #4
Excel Saga. I haven't seen all of it, but from what I have seen, I can safely say it is the funniest anime I've ever seen.

Cowboy Bebop. How do I describe this... great dog fights, great shootouts, the soundtrack that got me into blues. Hmm... A jazzy space western?
This site has so much info on Cowboy Bebop. It should tell you everything you want to know.
http://www.jazzmess.com/index.html

Trigun is my favorite anime. I love the message about life it has. (see sig for examples)

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2004-01-25, 9:34 PM #5
Cowboy bebop is were its at!

Any one know if it was ever put to DvD?
2004-01-25, 9:55 PM #6
I still have mixed feelings about anime in general, but both Beserk and Excel Saga are awesome in their own rights. And the outtakes on Beserk.... aw man, they're side-splitting funny stuff. I also liked Flame of Recca, if anyone's seen that.

------------------
Check out the following stories over at the Interactive Story Board:
The Never-ending Story Thread or visit the new webcomic version!
The Vision Cycle series
Featured Story: life in the massassi temple
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2004-01-25, 10:05 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grim Zombie:
Cowboy bebop is were its at!

Any one know if it was ever put to DvD?
</font>

Yes, it was.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-26, 12:00 AM #8
http://www.animenfo.com/

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-01-26, 12:39 AM #9
http://www.nextdayanime.com

Bebop series, Trigun series, escaflowne series all for 30 bucks each.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-26, 2:19 AM #10
Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop are great, I dont care for all anime, but those two I really love

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-26, 2:34 AM #11
Oops! Sorry, wrong thread.

*Leaves quickly*

------------------
Young men make wars, and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of old men are the vices of peace: mistrust and caution. It must be so.
-Laurence of Arabia
Yen is but one part of a larger problem in japan's bumbling attempts to pull out of a seemingly endless stagnation -Googlism
2004-01-26, 6:09 AM #12
AnimeNfo.com is your friend.
also check www.AnimeSuki.com for fansubs (for NON-licensed stuff)

check out Full Metal Panic and then the sequel mini-series (half-season, just 12eps) Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
they are both VERY good [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

drop into #anime-source on irc.mircx.com, too [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] they are a fansub group (doing Maria Sama ga Miteru right now) and you can get tons of info on what to watch there

((maybe i should add "resident anime expert" to my sig here? (= ))

EDIT: NextDayAnime is a bad place, fellas.
they just sell pirated stuff, so please remove that link!

------------------
i thought about this being the anti-sig... or the sig virus... or the sig of your nightmares... but i decided that some painful rhetoric might work instead...
just kidding. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

[This message has been edited by Is_907 (edited January 26, 2004).]
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-01-26, 8:49 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">EDIT: NextDayAnime is a bad place, fellas.
they just sell pirated stuff, so please remove that link!</font>
Ha. No they don't. Sorry to tell you sonny.

The reason it's so cheap is because instead of buying a series on 8 DvD's they sell the 3 DVD version. Good place. Good LEGAL place.
I ordered Trigun and Bebop from them on Jan 5th i got my package on the 7th.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-26, 9:36 AM #14
Somehow I gotta doubt that 3 DVD deal is legit. It doesn't seem like a company to sell two versions, one obviously more preferable than the other.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-01-26, 9:53 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rod-Nog:
Quote:
EDIT: NextDayAnime is a bad place, fellas.
they just sell pirated stuff, so please remove that link!</font>
Ha. No they don't. Sorry to tell you sonny.

The reason it's so cheap is because instead of buying a series on 8 DvD's they sell the 3 DVD version. Good place. Good LEGAL place.
I ordered Trigun and Bebop from them on Jan 5th i got my package on the 7th.

[/b]

Sorry to tell YOU sonny, but you are wrong. The "three DVD" version is a ripped off, lower quality, pirated version of the 8 DVDs. Whoever told you otherwise was dead wrong. A company would never release different versions like that, it's stupid.

------------------

2004-01-26, 11:24 AM #16
Sorry SONNY. They sell them EVERYWHERE. I've seen them at stores, online etc. I bought some off amazon once. It's legal. The quality is fine. It has regular start up menu's and such, all that garbage. They are REAL, not bootleg. All wrapped up and with real DVD's and that.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Sorry to tell YOU sonny, but you are wrong. The "three DVD" version is a ripped off, lower quality, pirated version of the 8 DVDs. Whoever told you otherwise was dead wrong. A company would never release different versions like that, it's stupid. </font>

It's smart! Instead of chargeing people 200 dollars for 8 DVD's they buy 3 DVD's for 30 dollars. They will sell more DVD's that way, and make more money! For ever 1, 200 dollar DVD set they sell they might sell 8, 30 dollar DVD sets, or something. It isn't bootleg, it's REAL. So many places sell them, haven't seen anything on the news or any companies SUDDENLY sueing.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.

[This message has been edited by Rod-Nog (edited January 26, 2004).]
2004-01-26, 11:43 AM #17
Quote:
Sorry SONNY. They sell them EVERYWHERE. I've seen them at stores, online etc. I bought some off amazon once. It's legal. The quality is fine. It has regular start up menu's and such, all that garbage. They are REAL, not bootleg. All wrapped up and with real DVD's and that.

It's smart! Instead of chargeing people 200 dollars for 8 DVD's they buy 3 DVD's for 30 dollars. They will sell more DVD's that way, and make more money! For ever 1, 200 dollar DVD set they sell they might sell 8, 30 dollar DVD sets, or something. It isn't bootleg, it's REAL. So many places sell them, haven't seen anything on the news or any companies SUDDENLY sueing.

</font>

Lots of places sell them not knowing that they are bootleg, but they are. And it's not exactly rocket science to move the freakin menus over. And they have been known to even draw up their own cover art and DVD art.

HERE is the real, and ONLY true series: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/series/-/842/dvd/ref=pd_serl_dvd/1 04-6187489-6210301

And why the hell would they make TWO versions of the same DVD. They would never sell the more expensive ones with the cheaper ones out. Think man, think. Who would even buy an expensive copy when you get a cheaper one?

Also, companies purposefully split them over larger sections. This way, they can make easily double or triple the amount they normally would. They do this ON PURPOSE. Oftentimes, though, bootlegs will fit so many episodes on one disk, that they will either remove features, such as different languages, or lower the video quality, just to make it fit. I know this for a fact, and can give plenty of websites that prove this fact if you wish to argue my point further.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tsukasa (edited January 26, 2004).]

2004-01-26, 12:05 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And why the hell would they make TWO versions of the same DVD. They would never sell the more expensive ones with the cheaper ones out. Think man, think. Who would even buy an expensive copy when you get a cheaper one?</font>

Because, if someone just want's maybe a few episodes for some reason, or if they want to say that they have the collectors boxset, they will buy them seperate. Plus for the people who want the entire series, but can't afford the super duper boxset, they will buy this.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also, companies purposefully split them over larger sections. This way, they can make easily double or triple the amount they normally would. They do this ON PURPOSE. Oftentimes, though, bootlegs will fit so many episodes on one disk, that they will either remove features, such as different languages, or lower the video quality, just to make it fit. I know this for a fact, and can give plenty of websites that prove this fact if you wish to argue my point further.
</font>

All the ones I own are awesome quality, they have all the same special features, and the same language selections. They are legal. They ARE legal. THEY ARE LEGAL.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.

[This message has been edited by Rod-Nog (edited January 26, 2004).]
2004-01-26, 12:25 PM #19
-Sigh-

Give me an hour, I'll have a bunch of links on how wrong you are.

First link I found:
http://www.narutoforums.com/showthread.php?t=4771

I'll find another quick, since you'll rebuttle it with saying "Thats not official/its a forum"

More professional, more indepth:
http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html

Not just DVDs:
http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~mwhitley/guide1.htm

YOU will want to read this, about your precious Cowboy Bebop DVDs:
http://www.anime-reviews.net/Bootlegs/getbootleg.php/2/
AND this one also: http://www.anime-reviews.net/Bootlegs/getbootleg.php/13/

So congrats, you got ripped!
------------------

2004-01-26, 12:38 PM #20
The first link is wrong. Mine have the dubbed option. Everything checks out on the second site, accept the 8 episodes per DVD.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
2004-01-26, 12:43 PM #21
Quote:
The first link is wrong. Mine have the dubbed option. Everything checks out on the second site, accept the 8 episodes per DVD.

</font>

I think those last 2 links pretty much makes this discussion finished. Thanks.

(The last 2 being the ones of your cowboy bebop bootlegs.)
------------------

2004-01-26, 12:53 PM #22
Nope, mine are different. Art, DVD's etc.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
2004-01-26, 1:15 PM #23
Then you have a much different bootleg that hasn't even been listed yet. Either way, that amazon link is the ONLY. LEGAL. VERSION. of Cowboy Bebop released in the US.

Unless, of course, you prove me wrong with some sites that don't originate from Hong-Kong.

------------------

2004-01-26, 1:16 PM #24
Can't you just imagine I did?

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
2004-01-26, 1:21 PM #25
Sorry, I just hate seeing people being ignorant, is all. I am only here to help.

-sigh-

------------------

2004-01-26, 1:24 PM #26
Maybe the company released a non-bootleg 3 disc set, to counter the 3 disc set bootlegs? Mine has all the official logo's and whatnot real good looking everything. and I didn't see a pic of it on the bootleg sites..just a thought.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
2004-01-26, 1:33 PM #27
For some info:
The most compacted US released anime ever is Blue Seed. It had all 26 eps on 4 DVDs. However, according to every site I've seen, they all say that it is the only one like that.

Bandai, the only company who imported the anime to America, has only one version. If you don't believe me, find your version of the series on this page for me... http://www.bandai-ent.com/products/index.cfm?a=c

And of course, the only version on there is the 3 eps per DVD version. There is a Best Seasons DVD, but that also holds true, with 3 episodes per disc, in a 2 DVD set.

Also, bootlegs commonly have those logos, so to make them look real. Believe it or not, bootlegs try to pass themselves off as real.

------------------

2004-01-26, 1:39 PM #28
I got screwed then [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]... So I did something illegal and I didn't know it.....Well whatever, I have my anime. :P

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
2004-01-26, 1:42 PM #29
You didn't necessarily do anything illegal, the people who made the discs did. But, the only bad thing is you aren't supporting the people who deserve the money, the artists. That's all. I'm just glad I could finally prove it to you, so you know for next time! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------

2004-01-26, 1:43 PM #30
Good thing! I bought Escaflowne as the $200 boxset! But I screwed Bebop and Trigun [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
2004-01-26, 11:26 PM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tsukasa:
... the only bad thing is you aren't supporting the people who deserve the money, the artists. </font>

Wait wait wait.

Weren't you advertising a torrent site which tracks 'unlicenced' and fansubbed series (for free)?

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-01-27, 12:27 AM #32
I wasn't. But it's not illegal, since you aren't able to obtain the anime via any other way, because it hasn't been licensed in america yet. That's why all those videos say "Stop distribution after this anime becomes licensed". Most of the time the animes are ripped from TV, simply because you can't get them any other way, which means that they can't possibly loose money on it. It's early morning, so this explanation probably isn't too good. I'll come up with some links and stuff later.

------------------

2004-01-27, 11:41 PM #33
ok, sites like AnimeSuki.com (the torrent site mentioned above) are semi-legal...

fansubs are illegal, but the companies that license anime for US distribution allow fansubs to increase the popularity of the shows.
once they announce that it's been licensed they ask all groups to stop subbing it and if they continue they can (and have) press charges against the fansubbers.

so they are legal in that the DVD companies allow them... but then it's also just like recording the show in japan and watching the tape here (except with subtitles added ;P)

------------------
i thought about this being the anti-sig... or the sig virus... or the sig of your nightmares... but i decided that some painful rhetoric might work instead...
just kidding. ;)
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo

↑ Up to the top!