Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Getting back in shape...
Getting back in shape...
2003-12-07, 3:55 AM #1
I took a look at myself in the mirror today and decided that I have gained a bit too much weight in the past month or two. So today I began my "DSettahr is out of shape and needs to lose weight excersize regimen." Ran a half a mile, walked another half mile, and did a few reps of sit ups and push ups. I'm just curious if any of you out there have any suggestions on excersize regimens for getting back into shape... preferbly activities that dont involve any physical excersize equipment. Thanks. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
You underestimate the power of the Dark Side...

DSettahr's Homepage
2003-12-07, 4:44 AM #2
Eat right (no fast food). Drink lots of water.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2003-12-07, 4:47 AM #3
Well i take kung fu, and since i joined my weight's gone from 122 to 120 :P number wise, no big diff, but the fat/muscle ratio in my body has changed. i have a nice sixpack now :P dont worry tis not ugly or anything... but if youre interested, i could tell you what i do three times a week in that class (requires no workout equipment, takes 30 mins..so 1:30 hrs a week..perday damn good no? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]) if yer interested jus ask on here, or msn, sorta in a rush right now so i cant post

------------------
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
[teletubbie voice] BIG HUG!!!! [/teletubbie voice]
2003-12-07, 5:02 AM #4
Wow. That's incredible if you can just decide you're overweight and just bang off a mile and a couple sit ups and push ups. Many overweight people will just not do anything at all and say they are, just so they can eat more bad food. Congrats. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
DO NOT WANT.
2003-12-07, 5:19 AM #5
Yep, congrats!

I'll tell you, running is the best thing you can possibly do. I joined the cross country team last year at my High School, and I got into shape superfast.

But yeah. Eat better, and take a good 1/2 an hour run. Set a good pace, and keep with it, try not to walk too much. Keep that up, and keep doing situps/pushups (increase the number by one every day, or five every week, to keep it difficult), and you'll get into shape in no time!

[edit- Oh yeah, I almost forgot. See if you can find someone to run with. I find that running alone I tend to slack off, but if you find someone else (fast than you, preferably) you'll want to keep up]
------------------
[12:42] Spork: I wish I knew, coned sucked. owned owns coned and pwned.
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

[This message has been edited by happydud (edited December 07, 2003).]
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2003-12-07, 5:57 AM #6
I should start exercising too...ever since I stopped playing soccer I've been losing any muscle tone I ever had...

------------------
gree gree.
2003-12-07, 6:07 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">DrkJedi82's Signature:
Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

</font>

Love that sig.

------------------
My Daily Ramblings
"This world is made of love and peace!"
"Let's live today, let's live tomorrow, and let's live the day after that, even if it means living in eternal pain."
- Vash the Stampede
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2003-12-07, 6:11 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zell:
Wow. That's incredible if you can just decide you're overweight and just bang off a mile and a couple sit ups and push ups. Many overweight people will just not do anything at all and say they are, just so they can eat more bad food. Congrats. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]</font>

Well, I'm not really overweight, I just have what you would call the freshman fifteen. Just trying to reverse the process before it gets even worse.

------------------
You underestimate the power of the Dark Side...

DSettahr's Homepage
2003-12-07, 7:32 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolvie17:
i have a nice sixpack now :P

</font>

Yum. I'm getting one of them, they look great with tanned skin, but I have to wait 6 months for any rays of sun *curses Britain*

To get in shape, go jogging for half an hour, twice a week. And go Rock Climbing for 3 hours, four times a week. Then you can start climbing buildings in the high street using only your arms. I rock.

------------------
Even the mightiest of men are crippled by love.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2003-12-07, 7:34 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zell:
Wow. That's incredible if you can just decide you're overweight and just bang off a mile and a couple sit ups and push ups. Many overweight people will just not do anything at all and say they are, just so they can eat more bad food. Congrats. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]</font>

That sounds a lot like me, but I was walking too and from school everyday (1.5 miles combined) and all that jazz.. But then the snow came and now I'm just "Screw it.. Too cold/deep/FOOD!" etc...

------------------
O_o
o_O
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2003-12-07, 7:41 AM #11
I can beat your six-pack with my keg of beer!

------------------
Archeologists near Mount Sinai have discovered what is believed to be a missing page from the Bible. The page is currently being carbon dated in Bonn. If genuine, it belongs at the beginning of the Bible and is believed to read "To my darling Candy. All characters portrayed within this book are fictitous and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental." The page has been universally condemned by church leaders.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2003-12-07, 7:58 AM #12
LOL Tony [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Go to the salvation army and buy a bench press and some weights, you can probably get everything for under $5, hehe

i got a 6-pack in grade 9 from doin' like 3 different kinds of crunches that the teacher made us do in the warmup

done somehing like that every day since then

do pyramid Push ups

start at whatever number, ill use 10 as an example

do 10 push ups
take a 2 second break, then do 9 more.. two second break, then do 8 more.. and so on, down about 5 push ups.

once you're down to 5, hold each push up for 2 seconds

once you're down to 2 push ups, hold them each for 5 seconds

once you're down to 1 push up, hold it for 10 seconds, or just do another 10 push ups.

------------------
I'm like a superhero with no powers or motivation.
2003-12-07, 10:00 AM #13
The push ups and other such exercises will help build muscle. Cardio stuff will help burn the fat. Combiningg the two does wonders. Try to get that running distance or at elast the time up a little bit. It takes a good 15 to 20 minutes to get a good cardio workout.

No gyms of any kind at your school? If there are, they should be cheap, if not free, to use.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2003-12-07, 10:36 AM #14
Avoid Richard Simmons.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
---@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2003-12-07, 10:38 AM #15
South Beach Diet all the way baby! Seriously though, I lost 20 pounds becuase of the diet, and it wasn't that bad. There are still "good foods"" that I could eat.

------------------
Come on, shake the Nub,..... you know you want to.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2003-12-07, 5:35 PM #16
do calf raises on 1 flight of stairs, 25 on each stair, stand on the end of the step with only the front part of your foot on the stair then slowly push your weight down onto the backs of your feet then back up again, do this as i said 25 reps/chair: 13 stairs, everyday, this will help your legs get toned, as for your arms and stomach do as many reps of these as you can everyday, if you have the money buy yourself some 25lb, dumbells and then i can help you even more, ive been lifting since last july for football and baseball so ive got exercises up the wazoo if you need em

------------------
I Recieved an angel from god when he sent me Jess, I Love You Forever and Always Jess, you'll always have my heart.
I <3 Massassi
2003-12-07, 10:55 PM #17
I have the freshman 2. But for me that's a lot of weight. I used to wrestle at 135 lbs my junior year of high school. Now I'm somewhere around 150 I'd say. I liked being 140... need to get back in shape.

Just run, do steps too like run up the stadium steps if you can, and if you can get sandbags and carry those so you can work out your arms too. Push-ups and all that.

Just remember to stretch BEFORE and AFTER you work out. It'll help a lot with soreness and all that. Stay away from soft drinks and stuff like that. Stick to water/tea/orange juice.

I dropped 8 pounds in one day, but it was all water weight. Just crank up the heat and run around for a while in as many layers as you can. Sweating will lose that fat in no time.

------------------
~amor sui~
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2003-12-07, 11:51 PM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Schming:

Just remember to stretch BEFORE and AFTER you work out. It'll help a lot with soreness and all that. Stay away from soft drinks and stuff like that. Stick to water/tea/orange juice.
</font>

That is common myth perpetuated by 'old school' coaches. Stretching before does bugger all. You are better off doing a warm-up and warm-down that consists of the activity you are planning to do at a greatly reduced intensity. Most importantly, do not warm up, stretch, then exercise. You are warming up and then cooling down which puts you at much higher risk for soft tissue injury. Ideally your stretching should be a separate session altogether.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">. Just crank up the heat and run around for a while in as many layers as you can. Sweating will lose that fat in no time.
</font>

More likely you will become dehydrated and experience the wonders of heat stroke. Sweat loss has nothing to do with fat loss. The only tried and true method to lose weight is to eat better and exercise regularly. Exercise should be prolonged low-moderate intensity at least 5 days per week, preferably every day. Exercising as hard as you can is counter productive, as you predominantly use carbs as an energy substrate. At lower intensities, the relative reliance on fats for fuel is greater.

If you *really* want an exercise program you will need to see a health professional who will individualise your program. No two people will respond the same to the same exercise prescription, so you can safely ignore any specifics people have told you to do. The type of exercise routine you undertake is highly dependant on your goals. Losing weight and getting fit/into shape are two different things.

Weight loss = primarily aerobic activity, prolonged, low-moderate intensity (55-65% Max Heart rate)

Getting fit-again depends, is it general fitness or activity specific? In either case you would need to exercise at higher intensities.

But the most important factor is to pick an exercise that you will stick with. Sure running may get the kilos off quicker than cycling, but the issue is moot if you hate running and give it up 3 months after you start.

Edit: Hmmm, although I'll probably come off even more pompous than I have already, I do feel compelled to mention that I have been studying exercise physiology/biochemistry for the last 5 years, and my teaching and research revolves around them. Getting the general public more active is an interest of mine and what is a major problem is that people are given "magazine/textbook" programs, or develop unrealistic expectations about the efficacy of an exercise program based on the media/testimonies of friends etc. This undoubtedly leads to dissastisfaction and reduced exercise adherence. This is primarily due to the fact that people seek info in the wrong places, or are presented with dodgy info.

My advice to you, DSetthar, is to find activites you enjoy, and perform them regularly. When increasing the amount that you do, a general rule of thumb is to only increase the volume or intensity by 10% every two weeks. Warm-up and warm-down after each session, the warm-down is particularly important and if possible set aside some time every few days to do some stretching. If you can find it, "The science of flexibility" is a very good book to have a look at.

[This message has been edited by Run (edited December 08, 2003).]
2003-12-07, 11:56 PM #19
Ah, everything I wanted to say but was too lazy to type.

Besides, how can you not trust a guy who calls himself 'run'?

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

↑ Up to the top!