Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Woot - got offered a new job
Woot - got offered a new job
2004-01-27, 5:49 PM #1
My current job... well frankly it kind of sucks. I have to work outside in all kinds of weather, climbing up 100 or 200 feet tall columns. I have to work very long hours and don't get paid overtime (I have to work a 16 hour day before I even earn a comp day). The schedules are eratic and you can't schedule anything in your personal life because you might have to jump and drive 12 hours to Kansas at a moment's notice.

I got an offer for a new job today. It's doing air compliance consulting. I would be taking a cut in pay, but I think a couple of years down the line I will end up making more than if I stayed in my current job. It's an employee owned company that I would be able to buy into after a year. Best of all its a growing company that in its brief 3 year life has gone from 7 people to 30.

My commute will increase from 10 minutes to 45 minutes, but I will not have to drive to Oklahoma or Kansas anynmore. They work a 9-80 schedule so I will have every other Friday off and they have flexible work ours so I can try to avoid rush hour most of the time. They also compensate you for overtime worked on an hourly basis since its not a salaried job.

Not to mention the fact that I will be in an office and not outside 100 feet in the air when its 30 degrees F and blowing winds at 20 mph.

So, what do you guys think?

------------------
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
2004-01-27, 5:52 PM #2
Job? What is this job you speak of? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

If you think it'll work out better than what you're doing now, go for it.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-27, 5:59 PM #3
Heh, I always thought it was cool that you were a Chemical Engineer, but I never really thought about what you did. Regarding the new job, just make sure it's stable, or have something you can fall back to in case it flops.

------------------
Mystic0 Editing Resources
Mystic0 Forum
The Massassi Post Count Summary(link works now)
2004-01-27, 6:03 PM #4
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeC:
...Not to mention the fact that I will be in an office and not outside 100 feet in the air when its 30 degrees F and blowing winds at 20 mph....</font>

Ive been there, buddy, and I know what you mean.

I say go for it. God knows I would.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-27, 6:21 PM #5
GO FOR IT! *thumbs up with insanely huge grin on face*

------------------
Signatures are overrated.

"You can run but you will only die tired."
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-01-27, 6:29 PM #6
w00t!! Sounds good. Go for it I say. Then see if they need an optical interference coating technologist. heh...

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2004-01-27, 6:54 PM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
Heh, I always thought it was cool that you were a Chemical Engineer, but I never really thought about what you did. </font>

I also do several other things, but most of my work in the last five years has involved gamma scanning. I have to go climb the columns and actually do the data aquisition. Then I do the data analysis and present it to the customer. They frequently are in a big hurry to get the data so we never know just where we are going to be or when. It's not what you would consider a typical job for a Chemical Engineer. It was a great learning experience, but it gets to you after a while.

Also, here's a link to the company that's made the offer. http://www.aces-llc.com

Darth Evad - even if they did need somebody in optics, which I can't really imagine, would you want to move to Texas?

Oh, I forgot to mention that the VP of the company is a gamer too. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
2004-01-27, 8:02 PM #8
Yeah, go for it, and good luck [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-27, 8:43 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeC:
...Oh, I forgot to mention that the VP of the company is a gamer too. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]</font>

That seals it.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-28, 1:02 AM #10
Definitely... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-01-28, 1:09 AM #11
Yeah.. late night LAN sessions of UT2k3 will always sweeten the deal

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-28, 1:15 AM #12
Well UT2k3 is more enjoyed online, but I'm thinking that soon enough you could get some Doom 3 goin on there [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]. Not to mention *lists game names*. Yah. But go for it man, sounds like an awesome deal. Two things, 1. Why did you have to go to Kansas? There's nothing there, and I know because I lived there for a number of years. and 2. Tell them to get a new color scheme for their site :P.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-28, 3:48 AM #13
There are 3 major refineries in Kansas. Farmland in Coffeyville, NCRA in McPhearson, and Frontier in El Dorado (just outside of Wichita). There are also a few chemical plants around Wichita.

Thanks for the support guys. I'm a little worried about the cut in pay, but there's much more potential to grow and eventually increase the pay with the new company than with Tru-Tec.

------------------
2004-01-28, 3:57 AM #14
Stick with your current job and buy a Batman suit I say
2004-01-28, 12:38 PM #15
Go for it, says the dud.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-28, 2:07 PM #16
Go for it. Agrees with the dud.

------------------
Madquack and Firbnic have a signature.
*Remnant Temple beta almost done*
Light And Darkness
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-01-28, 3:59 PM #17
You sound pretty unhappy with your current job. The no-overtime situation is awful. If you'll be happier with the new job, that's what is most important. Money can't buy happiness, so if you can work around the pay cut...go for the happiness. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]
KOP_blujay
Just dancin'...and singin'...in the Force.
2004-01-28, 4:08 PM #18
Think longterm! You might end up with more money in the longterm, and plenty of more happiness in the short term.

(with the new job)

[This message has been edited by Jedi Legend (edited January 28, 2004).]

↑ Up to the top!