Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Nominated for 11 Academy Awards!!!
The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Nominated for 11 Academy Awards!!!
2004-01-27, 3:13 AM #1
Its is nominated for:
Best Picture
Directing
Writing - Screenplay - Adaptation
Makeup
Music - Original Score
Music - Original Song
Art Direction
Costume Design
Sound Mixing
Visual Effects
Film Editing

Hope it wins!

------------------
Long live the United States of America.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
2004-01-27, 3:25 AM #2
Yay! Go RotK!

Glad to see Johnny Depp got nominated for Pirates of the Caribbean also, in any other non-Bill Murray in Lost in Translation year I’d give it to him.

(link)

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.

[This message has been edited by Spork (edited January 27, 2004).]
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-27, 3:25 AM #3
If the awards its already won are any sign of whats to come, it should be a shoe-in for Best Picture.

Personally I think it should be given Best Picture not just for RotK, but for the entire trilogy. None of the 3 movies on its own is really Best Picture material, put together the entire trilogy definately is.

Apparently this is what a lot of the Academy members think too, which is why they held off giving the first 2 any of the more presitigious awards- they wanted to judge the entire trilogy upon its completion.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage

[This message has been edited by DSettahr (edited January 27, 2004).]
2004-01-27, 4:39 AM #4
Yes, Bill Murray is finally going to get the recognition he deserves.
The Last True Evil - consistent nobody in the Discussion Forum since 1998
2004-01-27, 7:07 AM #5
The rumor's been that the academy was holding out for RotK before recognizing Jackson as best director as well. Hope he wins.

comeplete list of nominees

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

[This message has been edited by Avenger (edited January 27, 2004).]
Pissed Off?
2004-01-27, 9:01 AM #6
WTF?

The Academy sucks. No even nomminations for ACTING in RotK? That's bull. Still PotC 5 nomminations WOW.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-27, 9:03 AM #7
Not really. No one in RotK really does enough to warrant a best actor nod. Perhaps Ian McKellan, but that's about it.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-27, 9:09 AM #8
*cough* Sean Astin *cough*
If they could give it to digital people Gollum! and Viggo Mortenses did a REALLY good job. It's sad, PotC won't win a single Oscar, maybe sound editing, all the other movies it's up against are huge movies.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-27, 9:26 AM #9
Ok, you're right there as well

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-27, 9:28 AM #10
Yeah, I think the guy who played gollum deserved best supporting actor

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-27, 10:38 AM #11
I too am extremely happy to see that Johnny Depp was nominated for Best Actor in POTC. Without him, that movie would've been nothing.

I do think Sean Astin/Andy Serkis should've gotten nominated for Supporting Actor, but oh well, 11 nominations is nothing to be ashamed of. The people that made LOTR know that overall, they had the best acting from an ensemble in a long long time. All of the characters really stepped it up in their respective movies. Ian Mckellen/Sean Bean, and pretty much the entire cast did great in Fellowhip. It was Viggo'd and Serkis' movie in TTT, and in ROTK, you had amazing acting the hobbits and Gollum, and Ian Mckellen. I won't say Viggo because too my surprise he wasn't in it as much as the hobbits, but he was great nonetheless.

So all in all, I'm pretty happy with the nominations. Can't say much for the rest of the awards, cuz I havn't seen half the movies. I just wish at least one actor from ROTK was nominated, but Johnny Depp being nominated makes up for it in my mind.

------------------
Only To Keep The Public Happy
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-01-27, 11:04 AM #12
Annoyed Paul Bettany didn't get nominated for Master & Commander, that was a great performance.

I'm glad the girl in Whale Rider did though.....oh and, wooo, go Naomi Watts! Our only aussie hope....well....Peter Weir too, but he ain't winning.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-01-27, 11:05 AM #13
The academy guys are real ***es about giving lots of awards to movies that made a lot of money. They tend to feel that it's like rewarding a movie twice. An exception being Titanic, which I feel shouldn't have gotten jack, in money or awards.

They wouldn't dare deny RotK awards, but that's probably why they were reluctant to nominate actors.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-01-27, 11:13 AM #14
I really hope Johnny depp wins the award.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-01-27, 11:13 AM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
I really hope Johnny depp wins the award.

</font>

you and every female on the planet

------------------
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-27, 12:09 PM #16
Er, it cannot be denied that Depp delivered an outstanding preformance. Its just too bad it wasn't the only one.

I am bummed that Big Fish did not get nominated for best film... or for that matter, best song. Pearl Jam really wrote a fantastic song, and I can't beileve its been overlooked by crap like "Into the West".

I used to feel like my life long dream was to win an oscar. Now its to win an oscar and not show up. A loud statement? Maybe I'm just whining because my personal favorite wasn't nominated? No, but there's enough information to lead many of us to beileve the oscars are, pretty much, rubbish.

------------------
To myself I surrender to the one I'll never please.
But I still try to run on.
You know I still try to run on. But it's all or none.

Eddie Vedder

[This message has been edited by Eversor (edited January 27, 2004).]
former entrepreneur
2004-01-27, 12:15 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
you and every female on the planet

</font>

yeah.. he's just so cute.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-01-27, 12:16 PM #18
Wasn't Big Fish 2004...?

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-01-27, 12:28 PM #19
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Last True Evil:
Yes, Bill Murray is finally going to get the recognition he deserves.</font>

Yeah, it's gonna be cool if he wins. It's between him and Penn I suspect.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Emon:
Wasn't Big Fish 2004...?

</font>

There were early screenings in 2003 to allow it to get into the Academy's picks.

I wish the Last Samurai got more nominations [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif].

------------------
You're entering a world of pain.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2004-01-27, 12:36 PM #20
Lost in Translation owned like nothing else.
2004-01-27, 2:41 PM #21
Didn't RotK already won two Golden Globe awards or something? Best picture and director?
2004-01-27, 2:49 PM #22

Best Picture.
Best Director.
Best Score.
Best Song.

It was nominated for 4, it won 4.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
2004-01-27, 2:57 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bounty Hunter 4 hire:
The academy guys are real ***es about giving lots of awards to movies that made a lot of money. They tend to feel that it's like rewarding a movie twice. An exception being Titanic, which I feel shouldn't have gotten jack, in money or awards.

They wouldn't dare deny RotK awards, but that's probably why they were reluctant to nominate actors.

</font>

When you take out Leo and Kate, Titanic is actually a pretty good movie.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-01-28, 6:39 AM #24
To all who care, ROTK:EE just finished it's editing, and will be due out in November again. 4 hours and 10 minutes it will be.

The Theatrical though, will come out in May or June, so that's nice to have early.

------------------

2004-01-28, 7:53 AM #25
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
Annoyed Paul Bettany didn't get nominated for Master & Commander, that was a great performance.</font>

Didn't particularly care for that movie. It just seemed to drag on for a long time. Of course, I wasn't feeling too well, as the genius girl at the concessions counter put butter on my popcorn after I asked her not to.

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-28, 7:57 AM #26
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wolfy:
I wasn't feeling too well, as the genius girl at the concessions counter put butter on my popcorn after I asked her not to.

</font>

Shoulda stabbed her

------------------
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-28, 2:23 PM #27
Best song? I can agree with the best scores, but they actually liked Aragon's and Pippin's singing?
2004-01-28, 2:32 PM #28
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cloud:
Best song? I can agree with the best scores, but they actually liked Aragon's and Pippin's singing?</font>

Actually, Annie Lennox's Into the West, which played over the end credits, was nominated.

And yeah, Pippen's song was cool [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-28, 2:34 PM #29
Viggo Mortensen and Billy Boyd did damn good jobs singing.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
2004-01-28, 3:35 PM #30
Pfft. They were rank amateurs compared to Bill Murray's drunk karaoke singing in Lost in Translation...
The Last True Evil - consistent nobody in the Discussion Forum since 1998
2004-01-28, 4:09 PM #31
Was I the only one that didn't like Into The West? The credit songs for the first two were much better IMO.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-01-28, 4:14 PM #32
I think Into The West had, out of all three, the most to do with the actual film...

I rank them...

Into The West
Gollum's Song
May It Be

------------------

2004-01-28, 4:21 PM #33
Gollum's Song was the best IMO. Didnt really care for Into the West, but I loved the way Howard Shore used the melody from it in perfect moments (Gandalf telling Pippen about death during the siege, Sam carrying Frodo up the slopes of Mount Doom) during the movie.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-28, 5:49 PM #34
No Best Actor - Andy Serkis ??

Stupid Academeses, they is tricksey, false!

------------------
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."

↑ Up to the top!