Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Trans Siberian Orchestra
Trans Siberian Orchestra
2003-12-06, 3:07 PM #1
Who here has heard of them , and if so what do you think of them? I just got Chrismtas eve and other stories, and it is amazing. It's like Boston and the Electric Light Orhcestra playing Christmas songs! Wondeful
interpretations of some of the old classics, and the original tunes are truly heartfelt. I definately want to purchase their other material. So what do you guys and gals think?

------------------
Come on, shake the Nub,..... you know you want to.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2003-12-06, 3:44 PM #2
They will be playing here in Milwaukee on Christmas Eve, or eve eve, can't remember which. I would love to go.

------------------
Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
I'm a schizophrenic
and so am I
"Honey, you got real ugly."
2003-12-06, 3:57 PM #3
They're awesome. End.

------------------
Do you have stairs in your house?
Do you have stairs in your house?
2003-12-06, 4:59 PM #4
They're basically Savatage in suits :P

Christmas Eve is off their Dead Winter Dead album, so if you like TSO you could try some Savatage. Of course, they're a bit more metally, but it's the same creator people.
2003-12-06, 5:56 PM #5
Where abouts in a CD shop is the TSO stuff normally located? I downloaded a couple of songs and it's pretty good. Very Savatage-esque (and it's basically the same line-up!). Which is the best album?

Anyway, I thought I'd throw out some Savatage stuff that is similar, in case anyone's interested. They have a kind of "metal/broadway musical" thing going.

Anyway,

(These are mostly from their middle period, where they had a more "classical" vocalist.)

Edge of Thorns - All that I Bleed
Handful of Rain - Chance
Handful of Rain - Alone you Breathe
Dead Winter Dead - Not What You See
The Wake of Magellan - The Hourglass
2003-12-06, 6:09 PM #6
I got Carol of the bells preformed on electric guitar by them and mettalica. its awesome, but i haven't seen any otehr songs by them. i'll haev to check them out.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2003-12-06, 6:36 PM #7
They are excellent.
Warhead[97]
2003-12-06, 7:25 PM #8
I have "Christmas Eve and Other Stories" and really like it. They also just gave a concert here in town, and everyone who saw it loved it.

------------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." -Isaac Asimov

Never tickle the third foot!
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2003-12-06, 8:35 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Noble Outlaw:
I got Carol of the bells preformed on electric guitar by them and mettalica. its awesome, but i haven't seen any otehr songs by them. i'll haev to check them out.

</font>

Sounds like you got a misnamed song. They've never played with Metallica as far as I know, the song you got is probably Christmas Eve Sarajevo (12/24). As for TSO, I've seen them two years in a row in concert. However, they're not coming to our state this year.

------------------
Get busy living or get busy dying. - Andy Dufresne
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2003-12-06, 9:31 PM #10
A Mad Russian's Christmas has always been a fav of mine.

------------------
"And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand And count me amoung Thy saints." - Il Duce, The Boondock Saints
2003-12-06, 11:28 PM #11
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I got Carol of the bells preformed on electric guitar by them and mettalica.
</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
They've never played with Metallica as far as I know, the song you got is probably Christmas Eve Sarajevo (12/24).
</font>

Yeah, I downloaded an mp3 of this supposed metallica collaboration and it was indeed Christmas Eve, off Savatage's Dead Winter Dead. It's a damn awesome song, though.
2003-12-07, 4:33 AM #12
Indeed, their rendition of Carol of the Bells is nothing short of a classic holiday tune.

------------------
You underestimate the power of the Dark Side...

DSettahr's Homepage
2003-12-07, 5:56 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RotM_igotissues:
They will be playing here in Milwaukee on Christmas Eve, or eve eve, can't remember which. I would love to go.

</font>

ooooo... I might just have to look into it.

------------------
gree gree.
2003-12-07, 6:09 PM #14
Last Year I caught their live Christmas show... I normaly would say they are too heavy for my taste, but they still do an awesome stage show...

------------------
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2003-12-07, 6:13 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TimeWolfOfThePast:
Sounds like you got a misnamed song. They've never played with Metallica as far as I know, the song you got is probably Christmas Eve Sarajevo (12/24). As for TSO, I've seen them two years in a row in concert. However, they're not coming to our state this year.
</font>

well, it happens on occation. now i'll have to update my playlist. Thanks Time.

------------------
"No good can ever come from staying with normal people"
-Outlaw Star
"Some people play tennis. I erode the human soul"
-Tycho, Penny Arcade
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2003-12-07, 6:15 PM #16
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vash:
A Mad Russian's Christmas has always been a fav of mine.

</font>

Amen.
I was just listening to these guys while doing my homework, they are great.

------------------
1 of 14 - The Coucil still lives
6-16 Never Forget.
Click.
People I don't like: FeTT, Pugler
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
2003-12-08, 4:27 AM #17
I got their cd with Carol of the Bells on it like 4 years ago when no one I knew had heard of them.

------------------
One ring to rule them all. One to find them. One ring ti bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Flipsides crackers are the best crackers to have ever existed

↑ Up to the top!