Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I am never drinking soda by my computer again.
I am never drinking soda by my computer again.
2004-01-28, 3:22 PM #1
Ya, well I was checking out Massassi while drinking a Dr. Pepper, and I went to go get a CD on my desk (which is unreasonably messy) and pushed a bunch of junk and it accidentally hit the Dr. Pepper and almost hit my computer, just missed it by about and inch. So I cleaned it up.

I am not sure what damage it might have caused if it did land on it, but I don't want to find out.

SO does anyone else have a near-computer destroying story?

------------------
Signatures are overrated.

"You can run but you will only die tired."
The tired anthem of a loser and a hypocrite.
2004-01-28, 3:25 PM #2
In the computer woould have been worse than on. Might want to clean up your desk.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-28, 3:29 PM #3
M kebord is stky frm soa

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-28, 4:20 PM #4
I've had a pc struck by lightning....and once my dad spilled pepsi on the numpad of our old keyboard.

------------------
If everyone in the world were smart There would be no stupid people.
2004-01-28, 4:26 PM #5
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I am never drinking soda by my computer again.</font>

Pfft... who do you think that you're kidding? You know you will! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]
2004-01-28, 4:54 PM #6
My keyboard is supposed to have this special "spill-resistant" stuff. I'd rather not try and test it out...

------------------
Only To Keep The Public Happy
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2004-01-28, 5:45 PM #7
ARGH, I just typed out a whole post, and I hit "clear fields" instead of "submit reply"... son of a *****. It was a good post too, but I dont wanna type it out again.

BTW, there is a bunch of hair and food crumbs and gunk building up in my keyboard... does that count?

------------------
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
"Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
2004-01-28, 5:56 PM #8
I once pulled yanked my p4 2.6 GHz out of it's socket without disengaging it while removing the heatsink... it was bonded with the thermal paste. Then, I put it back in without new thermal paste and the thing overheated to 167 degrees farenheit.

Yes, it does work.

------------------
Mystic0 Editing Resources (no longer Updated)
Mystic0 Forum (fast again!)
The Massassi Post Count Summary
2004-01-28, 6:00 PM #9
Yes Mystic0, that's around 70 degrees C so the processor should still run. I know the AMDs are rated for around 70 C...but I wouldn't trust it.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-01-28, 6:05 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wuss:
Pfft... who do you think that you're kidding? You know you will! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]</font>

<.<
>.>

*takes sip*

------------------

2004-01-28, 6:09 PM #11
I once touched the mainboard in my television while it was plugged in. My friends think that's what's wrong with me. :/

------------------
http://www.napalmdeathsquad.com
2004-01-28, 6:41 PM #12
Ispilledsomesodaonmykeyboard.Nowthespacebardoesn'twork... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MentatMM:
I once touched the mainboard in my television while it was plugged in. My friends think that's what's wrong with me. :/</font>

Touching the board probly wouldnt hurt you.... However, ripping off a capacitor and sticking it to your tongue would hurt.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-28, 6:44 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I am never drinking soda by my computer again.</font>

Damn, the first time in months I have a soda with me at the computer, this is the thread that greets me to the discussion forum. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-01-28, 6:51 PM #14
I kncked a glass of coke onto the power circut of my computer. Also I knocked a glass of coke onto my cellphone and it got completely drenched.

Surprisingly no damage was done on both occasions.

------------------
Nightfire Mod
Spoting an error in post will result in a $100 reward.
Offer expires on 6/6/06. Valid one per customer, per day.

Rangi
2004-01-28, 7:03 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Ispilledsomesodaonmykeyboard.Nowthespacebardoesn'twork... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

Touching the board probly wouldnt hurt you.... However, ripping off a capacitor and sticking it to your tongue would hurt.

</font>

This is really really sad:

I’ve done exactly that... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

I’ve actually use the "taste test" on circuit board capacitors before to see if they were holding a charge. I’ve only done it on the small ones, because I’ve actually touched some of the larger ones, and those hurt when its just your hand that brushes against them...

------------------
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2004-01-28, 7:03 PM #16
Another thing i did was drop a memory card (console) into a cup of water.

------------------

2004-01-28, 7:14 PM #17
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MentatMM:
I once touched the mainboard in my television while it was plugged in. My friends think that's what's wrong with me. :/</font>

I once managed touch the inside of my power supply while the PC was on. That was fun.

------------------
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2004-01-28, 7:25 PM #18
My friend got a tiny little bit of soda inside his computer and it completely fried his motherboard, and a few other things. I laughed at him.

------------------
WOOSH.
-----@%
Warhead[97]
2004-01-28, 10:07 PM #19
My keyboard is about 15 years old (I think it was originally white!)

I've dropped it on the floor more times than I can remember. I've dropped it down stairs once. I've spilled water or other liquids on it numerous times, including a whole glass at one point.

It still works as if it were new.

------------------
When bread becomes toast, it can never go back to being bread again.
The music industry is a cruel and shallow money trench where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.
2004-01-28, 10:29 PM #20
I've spilt soda over my computer desk quite a few times. One time in particular was quite bad. I used to have a desk with a slide-out keyboard tray. I used to just sit my soda next to the keyboard on the tray, and one time I accidently kicked my leg up and into the bottom of the tray, sending the can into the air. That was much fun to clean up.

And I've shocked myself many times with the capacitors used in camera flashes. And once got a nasty shock from a VCR while I was repairing it. I sort of.. forgot to unplug it. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance

[This message has been edited by Jin (edited January 29, 2004).]
2004-01-28, 10:39 PM #21
Oops

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-28, 11:17 PM #22
I've had to buy a new keyboard after I was typing with a wound in the palm of my hand (didn't even notice it!) and the center of my keybord didn't funbction anymore.

besides, who'd want a white/red keyboard?!

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-01-29, 12:08 AM #23
Once spilt half a can of beer over my keyboard. At the time I was more upset about the beer.

Keyboard didn't not work, rather it worked a bit TOO well. If you ever want a stream of random characters at a very high rate, I suggest this method.

Took the keyboard to bits, dried out the sheets inside, put it back together and it was as good as new.

This was the same evening as another guy was lobbing junk CDs I used as coasters around the room. Nearly destroyed my monitor with one.
2004-01-29, 12:27 AM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GBK:
Ispilledsomesodaonmykeyboard.Nowthespacebardoesn'twork... </font>

To think that the first thing that made me think of was JavaScript. Bleh...

My sister spilled Orange Juice on my parents' keyboard (promptly dissasembled and cleaned it, it was fine).
Later, she spilled root beer on my printer (it's fine).
A friend nearly saw a cup of DP go through the fan on the top of his case (the holder of the cup nearly died).
I knocked over a cup of DP that was sitting atop my case, it splashed through the fan on the side panel (shut the comp off, checked everything, let it dry... it's fine).

All of these have been dropped more than once each, and still work quite well ('cept for the keyboard, it died on it's own). Computer hardware seems quite resilient, no?

------------------
Cynic (sin'ik) n. One of a sect of ancient Greek philosophers who held that virtue is the ultimate goal of life, their doctrine gradually coming to symbolize insolent self-righteousness.

Drink So-Be, and play longer!
Cynic (sin'ik) n. One of a sect of ancient Greek philosophers who held that virtue is the ultimate goal of life, their doctrine gradually coming to symbolize insolent self-righteousness.

Drink So-Be, and play longer!
2004-01-29, 12:29 AM #25
i dont use a glass.

score

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-01-29, 12:32 AM #26
I once spilt pure orange juice into my Amiga. It still worked.

------------------
Yeah, but you know what? This one, this one right here, this was my dream, my wish, and it didn't come true. So I'm takin' it back. I'm takin' 'em all back.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-29, 12:53 AM #27
Missed your dex throw, eh?
2004-01-29, 6:25 AM #28
I spilt a large glass of root beer by my computer. Now my surge-protector's button sticks a little when you push it on/off, and my "gel pad for the wrist" thing is stained.

Everything still works, but it was a little scary at first, when the outlet holes started to sizzle a little.

------------------
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2004-01-29, 6:39 AM #29
A few days ago, I spilt a whole mug of tea over my desk. I managed to save the keyboard! But the mouse was nearly submerged. I cleaned it off with water, cleaned out the optical bit and it still works fine.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
---@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-01-29, 6:48 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by - Tony -:
I once spilt pure orange juice into my Amiga. It still worked.</font>

Orange juice; does an Amiga good! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

------------------
2004-01-29, 7:04 AM #31
After typing, I need to manipulate a crowbar with my teeth in order to pry my fingers from my soda-sticky keyboard.

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-01-29, 7:23 AM #32
You seriously need to be careful. If you're visiting massassi at the time you spill soda on your computer, you could seriously short out our server.
[http://www.massassi.net/etc/massassiserver.jpg]

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited January 29, 2004).]
2004-01-29, 7:29 AM #33
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Flexor:
My keyboard is about 15 years old (I think it was originally white!)
</font>

What colour is it now? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif] My old keyboard used to be white and after 5 years its now a dingy (word?) yellow. I didn't even notice until I saw my new keyboard.

------------------
Massassian since: March 12, 2001

[=-"The hardest thing is to forgive, but God does;
Even if you murdered or robbed, years wrong, but God loves;
Take one step toward him, he takes two toward you;
Even when all else fail, God supports you." - Nas
-=]
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2004-01-29, 7:31 AM #34
LOL, same with the keyboard on my dad's PC. It started of as a light gray color, but is now darker gray and has tons of grime between the keys....

------------------
Kids must be shot by Monday.

Honesty tests for workers can't be trusted, report says.

Psychopaths are unpredictable.

Jay Leno's Headlines > Everything
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-01-29, 8:15 AM #35
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
You seriously need to be careful. If you're visiting massassi at the time you spill soda on your computer, you could seriously short out our server.

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited January 29, 2004).]
</font>

Heh... I love the efficiency.. nice sign too... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/cool.gif]

------------------
Fragment Thoughts consume my vision.
No-one knows what it's like to be the bad man,
to be the sad man Behind Blue Eyes.

- The Who
2004-01-29, 8:20 AM #36
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
... [http://www.massassi.net/etc/massassiserver.jpg] </font>

That looks like my server room.

------------------
2004-01-29, 10:17 AM #37
Everyone knows about sunny d right? And when there is a bit left, you drink it straight from the bottle right? And every now and then you put the cap on and shake it RIGHT? Right. Well. Let's just say little Glyde here forgot to put that danged cap back on when he shook the large half full bottle. Don't worry. I used a rusty compass to pry off every key and clean the insides. then put the keys back on. That gave me a very evil idea for one of the class computers.. Say you tried to type "My name is Ben." You'd get (for those computer illiterate people) "It wils be osw"

------------------
<Glyde> but.. you can't pick pickled peppers, even if a pickled pepper picker could pick pickled peppers!
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2004-01-29, 11:41 AM #38
Hm, I once ran a little qbasic program called "remline" and typed in windows on my dads old 486. As it turns out, the program erased ever line in the computer with the string 'windows' in it. You can probobly gueessed what happened. (I was about 10)

------------------
Mystic0 Editing Resources (no longer Updated)
Mystic0 Forum (fast again!)
The Massassi Post Count Summary
2004-01-29, 12:48 PM #39
I spilled soda on my keyboard once. It was a good keyboard. I didnt do anything about it and just let it sink in. 2 hours later, it didnt work. It would keep pressing its own buttons and one time it tried to call dell support on line (im guessing because that's one of the buttons). I couldn't type with it anymore so it was trash. Now ive got a really crappy keyboard. 4 weeks later I went to my grandma's house and spilt sprite on her computer. I did actually do something this time though so it is fine but the point is that I was stupid enough to bring drinks near a comp again.

------------------
Madquack and Firbnic have a signature.
*Remnant Temple beta almost done*
Light And Darkness
I was just petting the bunny, and it went into the soup can, and part of my hand went with it. - Red vs Blue
2004-01-29, 12:58 PM #40
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mystic0:
Hm, I once ran a little qbasic program called "remline" and typed in windows on my dads old 486. As it turns out, the program erased ever line in the computer with the string 'windows' in it. You can probobly gueessed what happened. (I was about 10)

</font>

Smooth. Just don't share the program, might tempt me to use it on my old computer. Frelling WinME.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H

↑ Up to the top!