Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → For those who have the game Deus ex
For those who have the game Deus ex
2004-01-23, 2:39 PM #1
I played the demo of Deus ex while ago and I liked it. Then I found the preview edition which from level one up to the level in which you have to escape UNATCO and kill anna nevarera or what ever her name is. Anyway I was wondering if anyone knows how many levels there are after that and if I should buy the full version.

------------------
Nightfire Mod
Spoting an error in post will result in a $100 reward.
Offer expires on 6/6/06. Valid one per customer, per day.

Rangi
2004-01-23, 2:42 PM #2
There's quite a bit after and it's not like the game is expensive now. Go get it.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 2:48 PM #3
yea i may do so i just found out the games only $20 nz and thats like $10 american.

------------------
Nightfire Mod

Rangi
2004-01-23, 2:55 PM #4
It's one of my favorite games ever. Sadly, the sequel does not live up to people's expectations.
2004-01-23, 3:27 PM #5
Yea that makes me wonder its like the coolest game ever yet its so cheap why is that.

------------------
Nightfire Mod

Rangi
2004-01-23, 3:32 PM #6
Because it's about 4 years old now

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-23, 3:55 PM #7
Buy it. Buy it NOW. I picked it up for a fiver in Game and I wasn't disappointed. It is suck a kicka*** game it's unbelievable.

------------------
Yeah, but you know what? This one, this one right here, this was my dream, my wish, and it didn't come true. So I'm takin' it back. I'm takin' 'em all back.

[This message has been edited by - Tony - (edited January 23, 2004).]
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-23, 4:20 PM #8
the Game of the Year edition is $10 at Electronics Botique [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

it's DEFINETELY worth it.
so is DeusEx 2 (Invisible War) but i'd say DX is better!

------------------
i thought about this being the anti-sig... or the sig virus... or the sig of your nightmares... but i decided that some painful rhetoric might work instead...
just kidding. ;)
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-01-23, 4:58 PM #9
My favorite game ever is Deus Ex. It beats all others! Get it now or forever hold your peace.

------------------
Multiplayer Game Alias: II88BlackOps
JA is awesome!
Corrupted Paths, my WIP for JA. Screens here: http://imagebase.freewebspace.com/photo.html

My quote: "People choose to side with the left, and the others choose to side with the right. I go forward."
2004-01-23, 10:17 PM #10
Ok I bought it. Yea i agree it is the best game ever. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Nightfire Mod

Rangi
2004-01-23, 11:20 PM #11
Deus Ex took me about 30 hours to beat first time through, and you haven't been out of the United States yet, so I'd say you've still got at least 80% - 70% after you escape from UNATCO.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2004-01-24, 9:22 AM #12
Definitely a kickass game. I have Invisible War, but I'm waiting till i get a new video card to play that. 5 fps...argh.

------------------
There is no signature
D E A T H
2004-01-24, 9:46 AM #13
Here's a tip: Don't kill or follow some orders.

------------------
Yeah, but you know what? This one, this one right here, this was my dream, my wish, and it didn't come true. So I'm takin' it back. I'm takin' 'em all back.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-24, 12:51 PM #14
Yea im wondering 2 things. Cause the game can have different outcomes.

If i had killed that dude in the plane would i still be fighting unatco.

If i had stayed with paul in the appartment would it be possible to kill the unatco and those bodygaurd fellows and stop paul from dying

------------------
Nightfire Mod

Rangi
2004-01-24, 1:08 PM #15
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by a_person:
If i had killed that dude in the plane would i still be fighting unatco.</font>

Yes.

Quote:
If i had stayed with paul in the appartment would it be possible to kill the unatco and those bodygaurd fellows and stop paul from dying</font>

It is possible to save Paul. Once you kill all the men in black and talk to him again, the right trigger will be activated.
2004-01-24, 2:11 PM #16
It's been a while since I've played, but I remember that it's REALLY difficult to save Paul. I think at some point he just disappears so it's not clear whether or not you save him until the next level where you have to break out of the cell I think. At least that's how I remember it.

------------------
I have a signature.
I have a signature.
2004-01-24, 2:14 PM #17
!!SPOILER WARNING!!

It has to be said that Deus Ex is one of the best games I've ever played!

Ive had a different experience every time Ive played, sometimes Paul lives, sometimes he dies, sometimes I kill Navarre with her kill phrase or just in combat, sometimes running from Walton Simons in the underwater base and then seeing him later in Area 51! Jock lives or dies!

Its awesome!

And the stealth aspects, how many games let you dom things how you want to complete the objectives, and how many let you get away with leaving some of the missions undone and things for the sake of the enjoyment!

ZERO1979

------------------
AQUATAINE - New to Aberystwyth 2003.
Tom - Vocals, Guitars, Songs
Liz - Vocals, Guitars, Songs
Matt - Vocals, Guitars, Songs
Jamie - Drums, Songs

[This message has been edited by ZERO1979 (edited January 24, 2004).]
Infamous and rented

ZERO1979
2004-01-24, 9:09 PM #18
I love Deus Ex purely because there isn't a set way to complete an objective. I just beat it again for the 4th time a few days ago and still found different ways to complete objectives.

------------------
This post was proudly brought to you by KegZ™
Rock is dead - but I believe in necrophilia.
2004-01-25, 1:36 PM #19
Damn you people - I was so close to completing my rahabilitation from this game... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Seriously, I would start playing this game at about 21:00pm, just "for an hour or so"... well if it wasn't 5:30am when I forced myself to stop playing - and this went on for over a week and a half, and I still haven't completed it [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]. It's because I really like to explore and be thorough, as well as all the computer hacking - I mean come on - who doesn't like Deus Ex? But I've weaned myself off it - I know that if the disc ever slips back into my CD-drive... *shivers with the thought of what could happen....*

It's got all the subtleties and nuances of "real life (TM)"; everything ranging from allies and enemies, trust and betrayal, and with your character, JC, left with the burning question - what if everything you thought you knew to be true, was a lie? Even when one truth dawns, there are still so many other stories, and so many ways to play out those stories, that everything genuinely - (no Matrix connotations here)boils down to "choice". You can do things stealthily or go in guns blazing; you can jump from building to building or use lifts and back-alley stairs; disable the bots or destroy them with heavy duty explosives - it's all FANTASTIC [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

Not since JK has a game and a story captured my imagination and my desire to play "just one more mission..." [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

In short - just what everyone else has already told you ^^^ [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

-Jackpot

------------------
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." - gothicX

"Life is mostly froth and bubble,
But two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble,
Courage in your own"
("Ye Wearie Wayfarer" - by Adam Lindsay Gordon)
"lucky_jackpot is the smily god..." -gothicX
"Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand in stone,
Kindness in another's trouble, courage in your own"
- "Ye Wearie Wayfarer"
|| AI Builder: compatible with both JK & MotS || My website ||
2004-01-25, 1:52 PM #20
OK, the game is the same whichever way you play it story-wise...it doesn't matter if you save paul or not, nor does it matter if you shoot Lebedev in the face or not (or kill Navarre - you can do it then if you like) - though it is stil; one fo my favourite passtimes ever.

I save Paul (If I can - it's not easy) by over-loading the entrance to his apartment with gas grenades (set on proximity) and throwing out LEM's after they've gone off to kill off the remaining MIB's - and Navarre by just throwing a full clip or two of assault gun ammo into her head... try it - the gameplay is identical! (apart from the odd cut-scene)

Though regardless, the game does rock bells. And save room in your inventory for swords. For they are fun. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
2004-01-25, 3:13 PM #21
*spolers*

First time I went through, I spared the NSF leader and killed Navarre on the plane, let Paul die, got Jock killed, and I never fought Walton Simons. Passed him at the sub-base and snuck past him at Area 51, which I don't even think the developers intended you to be able to do. Second time I played it I killed the NSF leader and later took out Navarre with her kill phrase, left Paul alone in the hotel (but he actually ended up living), killed the mechanic and saved Jock, and I blew Simons away with a couple of HE grenades before he even got to talk to me at the sub-base. If you can name another single-player game where the plot changes so much everytime you play it, I'd like to hear about it.

This and System Shock 2 are definitely my two favorite single-player PC games of all time.

[This message has been edited by JASRCC_Uber0010 (edited January 25, 2004).]
GOOGLE FIND THESE SITES PLEASE KTHXBYE
http://www.stevebcartoons.com
http://www.kingcola.com
2004-01-25, 3:30 PM #22
Where in Area 51 do you meet Walton Simons if you flee from him in the submarine base? Does he have anything interesting to say? (never tried doing that)
2004-01-25, 7:21 PM #23
I wanna know where i get the 4th alternate ending I merged with helios I joined illumanati and i cut the power to the whole world just to satisfy tong. I cant find the other one. I KNOW that there are 4 ending cutscenes cause i saw it load them all into my pc when i was installing. Also I could tell that mechanic who ends up planting the bomb was an @$$ but i didnt want to kill him. Can i save jock by killing him cause jock owns.

------------------
Nightfire Mod

Rangi
2004-01-25, 11:00 PM #24
To save Paul - Just let the MIBs kill you before killing Paul. Pretty Easy.

Saving Jock - You gotta talk to the suspicious guy, talk to the guy whose house it is, talk to SG again, etc. There's a sort of quest there.

Yeah, it's a fantastic game. And I have to express my irritation that DX-IW *still* isn't out here. Keeping people waiting for months after it's been released just leads them to pirate it! Ditto for the new Iced Earth album, dammit! Curse you all!
2004-01-25, 11:12 PM #25
*SPOILERS*

a funny way to kill Agent Navarre (sp?)

When you go to talk to lebedev, plant a lam on a doorway fairly near you, but near enough not to kill you [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

Navarre runs in, BOOM [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
Rah!
/fluffle
2004-01-25, 11:30 PM #26
Actually, whilst I loved the first few levels of DX, I thought they were not that could compared to later levels. I suggest you buy the game NOW! It's really cheap - in the UK it's about £5 (7USD).

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-01-26, 12:50 AM #27
Hold on - a_person, you're a Kiwi? What part of NZ you from?
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2004-01-26, 8:59 AM #28
The 4th end game cutscene isn't. It's just a dance party that the developers threw in as a cheat. If you have cheats enabled and type something in at the title screen, it comes up.
GOOGLE FIND THESE SITES PLEASE KTHXBYE
http://www.stevebcartoons.com
http://www.kingcola.com
2004-01-26, 11:25 AM #29
Reading the news shows why I took out the commmunications network. It made me feel good to know that we'd all start again - free from corruption, Bob Page and chaotic AI.

------------------
2004-01-26, 2:38 PM #30
So what happens to me if i blast navare at the plane. Is there a kill phrase for gunther german and is there a way to fight page man to man.

------------------
Nightfire Mod

Rangi
2004-01-27, 5:20 PM #31
Ok im runnng into a problem. Im playing this game a second time round and im on the level where you join nsf and paul may or may not die. But after sending the signol there is no sighn of paul in his appartment. He was there last time! Anyway incase any of the previous events mattered here is what i did. I planted a LAM in the airoplane 2 infact and i blew navare but she didnt die so i poped her in the face with a pistol twice. Now shes dead i flamethrowed jojofine. Those are some large events a JC's life. Anyone can help on why hes not there...

------------------
Nightfire Mod

Rangi
2004-01-28, 5:59 AM #32
Quote:
So what happens to me if i blast navare at the plane. Is there a kill phrase for gunther german and is there a way to fight page man to man.

</font>

Yes, you find it out later.
No, you'll find out why.

And for the other, who knows? I guess it's just a bug.

------------------
2004-01-28, 1:37 PM #33
I think your all lying.

There is NO way to kill Anna on the plane without using the "God" cheat. You shouldn't have good enough weapons at the time when you wind up at La Guardia.

P.S. Beat Deus Ex FIVE times on Realistic mode WITHOUT cheats!

------------------
"I'm Sorry, What was that? I cant hear you over your constintent team killing."

Tucker
Red VS Blue
If every mod was like ours...no mod would get a "two"

Proud member of the Co-Op
2004-01-28, 1:45 PM #34
No, it's actually pretty easy if you know what you're doing. You get her with a few grenades, then plug her face with assault rifle rounds.

------------------
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2004-01-28, 2:11 PM #35
This game sounds interesting....actually you guys reccomend it to me a long time ago. It's just that I never heed your advice. How long is the game? Is it just single player?
2004-01-28, 2:15 PM #36
There's MP, but I never played it. The SP is the heart of DX. I haven'tplayed it in a while, but there got to be at least 20 hours of gameplay plus super high replay value.

------------------
Pissed Off?
2004-01-28, 3:29 PM #37
Quote:
Ok im runnng into a problem. Im playing this game a second time round and im on the level where you join nsf and paul may or may not die. But after sending the signol there is no sighn of paul in his appartment. He was there last time! Anyway incase any of the previous events mattered here is what i did. I planted a LAM in the airoplane 2 infact and i blew navare but she didnt die so i poped her in the face with a pistol twice. Now shes dead i flamethrowed jojofine. Those are some large events a JC's life. Anyone can help on why hes not there...
</font>

There is a serious bug in the Multiplayer version of the game (this does not include an unpatched game or one with the last singleplayer-only patch). Apparently, some multiplayer changes affect the singleplayer game. What you're describing is the most common Deus Ex bug. If Paul is not there and you've tried loading an older save game, I think you're out of luck. You might have to start over (after a reinstall) and look on planetdeusex.com for the sp patch.

2004-01-28, 4:29 PM #38
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">There is NO way to kill Anna on the plane without using the "God" cheat. You shouldn't have good enough weapons at the time when you wind up at La Guardia.</font>

I distinctly remember turning around and shooting her in the face three times, to which she responded by exploding like a wuss.

------------------
I have a signature.
I have a signature.
2004-01-28, 4:49 PM #39
Anna nvarre is easy as to kill on the plane. Plant 2 LAMs in the corridor she runs down after they explode shot her in the head multiple times with a rapid fire weapon or a shotgun, sniper rifle flamethrower, LAW, gep gun and i dont think its possible to get the plasma gun by that stage without cheating.

------------------
Nightfire Mod

Rangi
2004-01-29, 12:36 AM #40
I just LAMed the door. There was a flash and a pair of gibs rolled into where Lebedev was.

------------------

↑ Up to the top!