Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My future....
My future....
2004-01-29, 5:54 PM #1
All my life I've wanted to be a director. That's just... it. But when my grandparents suggested I go to a better/new school I was like yeah! Because I wanted to learn more about computers and stuff so we've been filling out applications and stuff for this technology school thing, but it turns out their OTHER specialty is film/directing stuff. I'm thinking it would be best to take classes about computers because if I were to end up some dead beat director I'd risk ruining my life, no? But if I have a bunch of experience with something to do with computers my odds of having a stable job are... higher, right?
I WANT to be a director some day, but I have this feeling I should do something with computers... what say ye?

------------------
"The Oracle told me I would die with my boots on. I've worn tennis shoes ever since." - Axis
2004-01-29, 6:27 PM #2
I think asking a bunch of geeks will give you a biased opinion...
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side
2004-01-29, 6:32 PM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evil_Tofu:
I think asking a bunch of geeks will give you a biased opinion...</font>

------------------
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2004-01-29, 6:43 PM #4
It depends.

Working with computers isnt easy. It takes a special kind of person to dedicate himself to it. Most college recruiters will lead you to believe that they can teach IT to anyone, but thats simply not true. You may have all the desire in the world to learn, but if you lack a logical mindset, youll never quite 'get it'.

Beyond that, in order to make good money in IT, you need to be GOOD. You need to have certifications out the wazoo, which takes money. ALOT of money. These certifications have to be maintained, which takes more money. And theres the fact that you spend all day dealing with end (l)users that dont even know the difference between a mouse and a keyboard, upper management that makes moronic decisions about technology and procedures that theyve really never even heard about, much less understand, and the never-ending desire to take every Windows box in sight and throw them out the window.

But hey, if you love computers, why not go into a field supporting them? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/redface.gif]

If you want to direct, direct. Theres no doubt more money in it, and youll problably enjoy it more... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-29, 6:44 PM #5
Film directing is hard. I'm a RTVF major. (Radio Televison Video Film) I know.

1st, you're going to want to do super tremendous awesome stuff, and, frankly, you can't. The reason directors get to where there are is this:
1.) they never stop working
2.) they always promote themselves
3.) they have an "in"

What's an "in"? Something that gets you IN the door, IN the chair, or IN the production.

Also, Write. A lot. Every day. The current method to "break in" is write a independant, produce it, hope it's REALLY good, win some stuff, send your tape around to anyone who'll take it, and anyone who won't take it.

Film is dying, actually, cause everything is becoming digital, which is good for US, as a younger, more technological generation, but you have to remember that the business side is the most important side. With all this information, you might still say, well, I can still do it. Good. Do it. But ask yourself 3 questions.

1.) Can I live without money?
2.) Can I make something awesome without money?
3.) Have I ever done anything at all, or is this some weird dream in my head?

Also, get the computer job. it'll help pay for your movies :P

P.S. I'm a professional video editor, and working on an independant film, as well as being the senior editor for the news channel on campus, as well as taking classes. My point? I'm not directing anything, but I have enough options/contacts to get what I want when I feel I want it.

Best of luck. Any more questions, feel free to email me. MaxisReed@hotmail.com

------------------
MaxisReed
AIM: MaxisReed
ChatOp, EC administrator, and "some sort of god!"
"If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?"
2004-01-29, 7:21 PM #6
Um . . . do both?

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-30, 3:49 AM #7
Directing, way to go. My friend and I sit around all day writingm thinking up ideas. It's all we want to do too! Good luck at this.

------------------
Gondor has no pants.
Gondor needs no pants.
Someone wrote this over one of the urinals: "The joke isn't on the wall; it's in your hand." - BV
2004-01-30, 4:54 AM #8
whatever you wanna do more, enjoy life, dont worry about it, money isnt everything.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-01-30, 6:50 AM #9
We were learning about this stage of human development in Psychology last night... There are two parts to it... Whether or not you consider what you want to do with your love, and whether or not you actually make a choice. Apparently, not considering and not making a choice, as well as not considering and making a choice are really unhealthy (mentally). But considering and not making a choice is almost as healthy as considering and making a choice. So you might not be as bad off as you think.

Does your school offer career counseling? If they do, arrange for an appointment, it helps a lot. Also some schools have a "completely undecided major" of sorts, where you can take all kinds of different classes that interest you, in different areas, until you get a better idea of what you want to do.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage

↑ Up to the top!