Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ugh I'm digging a hole..
Ugh I'm digging a hole..
2004-01-30, 5:38 AM #1
Well I decided to updated my display drivers.. problem # 1..

I was bored at work so I did it there. I come home, installed them. Yup, wrong version for the card. Start up, I have black screen. Try to restart in Safe Mode, but Safe Mode locks up and doesn't even load Windows. I tried "Last known good configuration". That still didn't work.

I put in my Operating System CD and typed the 'r' for restore option, and it asks me for an administrator password, for Windows.

Gateway supports sucks and I can hardly understand the guy.. So, I need some help! I will reformat but I want to atleast get a screen so I can backup some stuff first. So a temporary fix is acceptable!

------------------
I felt like destroying something beautiful.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2004-01-30, 6:06 AM #2
If you had DOS, you'd want to use it. Being a prebuilt machine, I'm assuming it came with XP and I'm not too sure if it even HAS DOS, or at least one you can access.

If you do, create a partition, copy folders across and format.

------------------
The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
-- Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, The Father of Rocketry
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-30, 6:14 AM #3
Yeah I do have DOS, I was tring to do stuff in it last night.

Though, I'm not sure how to create a partition.

And, is there anyway to save outlook emails? I have too many that I don't want to loose. And my contacts and stuff.

------------------
2004-01-30, 6:27 AM #4
Wrong version for the card?

What card is it?

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-01-30, 6:34 AM #5
I have a GeForce2, I downloaded the driver for I believe the 3.

------------------
2004-01-30, 6:49 AM #6
? nVidia has only 1 driver to download for all GeForce cards

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-01-30, 6:58 AM #7
I think there's an option to partition in DOS's FDISK utility if you have it.

------------------
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-30, 7:42 AM #8
Yea, the drivers for Nvidia are for (nearly) every single card they produce. I believe the only ones that require special drivers are the laptop versions.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-01-30, 7:50 AM #9
GOOD GOD DO NOT FDISK YOUR DISK! It will wipe everything. You can't just create a new partition, that wipes the entire disk. For the love of all that is good and holy, - Tony -, what are you playing at?

Zanardi: Just get a winxp boot / emergency repair disk. It should let you go in there and wipe the drivers. I'm surprised safe mode doesn't work... that's odd [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] I had problems with my fresh install of win2k, and after wasting weeks trying to figure out what was going on (of course, ms OSs don't have much error reporting to help you figure out what the problem is), I gave up and installed Knoppix. Been happy ever since!

Oh, that reminds me! If your filesystem isn't NTFS, you can just put in a knoppix disk and mount your windows drive read-only and you can back stuff up from there. I think the NTFS drivers are pretty bad though, so you run the risk of losing everything even if you mount read-only (and that's the problem with closed "standards").
2004-01-30, 11:26 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
GOOD GOD DO NOT FDISK YOUR DISK! It will wipe everything. You can't just create a new partition, that wipes the entire disk. For the love of all that is good and holy, - Tony -, what are you playing at?

Zanardi: Just get a winxp boot / emergency repair disk. It should let you go in there and wipe the drivers. I'm surprised safe mode doesn't work... that's odd [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif] I had problems with my fresh install of win2k, and after wasting weeks trying to figure out what was going on (of course, ms OSs don't have much error reporting to help you figure out what the problem is), I gave up and installed Knoppix. Been happy ever since!

Oh, that reminds me! If your filesystem isn't NTFS, you can just put in a knoppix disk and mount your windows drive read-only and you can back stuff up from there. I think the NTFS drivers are pretty bad though, so you run the risk of losing everything even if you mount read-only (and that's the problem with closed "standards").
</font>

Knoppix will even mount NTFS drives. It just won't let you write to them, for very good reasons. So if you had stuff on an NTFS formatted HD, you can move it to some other drive, as long as it isnt NTFS. (You can even burn a CD)

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-01-30, 11:34 AM #11
Actully, Linux's NTFS driver does a good job at reading it. Ive never seen any problems or damage occuring from its use, and Ive used it extensively. It will not, however, write. There was talk of a wrapper in the works to use Win2k's native NTFS driver to read the partitions, but Ive not heard anything of it recently.

Also, if your drive is formatted as NTFS, DOS will be unable to read it without 3rd party tools.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-30, 12:17 PM #12
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
GOOD GOD DO NOT FDISK YOUR DISK! It will wipe everything. You can't just create a new partition, that wipes the entire disk. For the love of all that is good and holy, - Tony -, what are you playing at?</font>

SCORE! I got yelled at! But you can create partitions without formatting... if you HAD a display, I'd point to PartitionMagic. But it's been a long time since I've needed to use FDISK.

------------------
2004-01-30, 12:22 PM #13
Uhh, Tony, PartitionMagick runs off a boot floppy. It is not used in conjunction with Windows in any way, nor does it require it. Therefore, Z's driver issues are a non-issue.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.

↑ Up to the top!