Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → News of the day
News of the day
2004-01-30, 6:03 AM #1
Keepin' the brotha down.

------------------
I felt like destroying something beautiful.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2004-01-30, 6:08 AM #2
I dont think the kid did anything wrong, people just misunderstood him.

------------------
Lat rocks my box with sox
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-01-30, 6:15 AM #3
Yeah but why did they assume and attack right off the bat.

------------------
2004-01-30, 6:30 AM #4
Just shows that the whole contest was racially motivated. It's crap like this that is responsible for race being an issue at all right now.

------------------
Young men make wars, and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of old men are the vices of peace: mistrust and caution. It must be so.
-Laurence of Arabia
Yen is but one part of a larger problem in japan's bumbling attempts to pull out of a seemingly endless stagnation -Googlism
2004-01-30, 6:42 AM #5
Technically he is an 'african-american.' While a tricky area, double standards can be seen in a lot of similar things. A few years ago, the entire RIT campus was covered with chalk phrases supporting Gay pride. They were everywhere... and really were more of an eyesore than an effective means of expression. A few days later, someone(s) did the exact same thing, but replaced 'gay' with 'straight.' Immediately, the chalk inscriptions were washed off by the Physical Plant workers. I have nothing against gay people, or any kind of social or ethnic group that I do not belong to, but I do believe it is possible for a majority to celebrate whatever it is that makes them a majority without being racist or discriminatory.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-01-30, 6:47 AM #6
I agree 100%

------------------
2004-01-30, 6:48 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DSettahr:
Technically he is an 'african-american.' While a tricky area, double standards can be seen in a lot of similar things. A few years ago, the entire RIT campus was covered with chalk phrases supporting Gay pride. They were everywhere... and really were more of an eyesore than an effective means of expression. A few days later, someone(s) did the exact same thing, but replaced 'gay' with 'straight.' Immediately, the chalk inscriptions were washed off by the Physical Plant workers. I have nothing against gay people, or any kind of social or ethnic group that I do not belong to, but I do believe it is possible for a majority to celebrate whatever it is that makes them a majority without being racist or discriminatory.

</font>

Well put. I completly agree.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
---@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-01-30, 7:52 AM #8
I can't believe people vote for people like those school officials. We should start the "Common Sense" party, I bet we'd win all the elections.
2004-01-30, 7:58 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
I can't believe people vote for people like those school officials. We should start the "Common Sense" party, I bet we'd win all the elections.</font>

Except that "Common Sense" seems to have been increasingly lacking in the past few decades...

------------------
Nes digs around in the trash can.
Nes finds a hamburger!
Nes puts the hamburger in his backpack.
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...
2004-01-30, 8:10 AM #10
Specifically to the story this is based on, perhaps African-American isn't really the appropriate phrase. I mean, I'm white and I'm half S.African. I'm probably more African than most "African-Americans".
African-American suggests something about nationality and culture. If you want to refer to someone's race, there's nothing wrong with calling someone a black guy or a white guy or whatever.

------------------
Jagged Conscience: No maeve, don't stand up for Rob, he needs to learn.
Maeve:that's Rob?
Jagged Conscience: He's a Rob
2004-01-30, 8:32 AM #11
It reminds me of the "Caucasian Club" a while back. Hurrah for overreactions!

------------------
The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
-- Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, The Father of Rocketry
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-30, 8:46 AM #12
Yeah man, it's like all of a sudden it's racist to be an ethnic majority. Well that's just twisted.

------------------
tristan is the best friend of the jedi

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
tristan is the best friend of the jedi

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
2004-01-30, 8:52 AM #13
Quote:
I can't believe people vote for people like those school officials. We should start the "Common Sense" party, I bet we'd win all the elections.</font>

My brother and I are talkinga bout starting a Common Sense consulting firm where people would pay us lots of money to tell them they are stupid and lacking common sense. Don't know how well it will go over though [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

As for the article, the kid is from Africa. This just goes to show you thatthe term "African American" really means black people in America.

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-30, 8:56 AM #14
Has anyone asked the black students what they thought about it?

------------------
I hate kids.
I hate kids.
2004-01-30, 9:04 AM #15
this is why i tell people i'm african american... they stand there and think about it for a minute but then they understand and have no problem with a white guy saying that.

obviously the competition was racist to begin with because asians and whites couldn't participate and i think what this SA'n kid and his friends did should've made people wake up and realise the whole thing was crook. (i don't necesarily agree with his method but it SHOULD have gotten the point across)

i wanted to find this schools email address and/or phone number to complain about the kids punishment but it's not on that page.

------------------
i thought about this being the anti-sig... or the sig virus... or the sig of your nightmares... but i decided that some painful rhetoric might work instead...
just kidding. ;)
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-01-30, 9:14 AM #16
Quote:

You read alot of michael moore?

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-30, 9:35 AM #17
And yet asians still haven't got whiny and huffy-puffy that we're called 'caucasians' when we don't have anything to do with Asia. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-01-30, 9:40 AM #18
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fishstickz:
You read alot of michael moore?

</font>

The irony of that statement is that, if there ever were someone who just flew defiantly in the face of common sense, it is Michael "I lied in my Documentaries" Moore.

------------------
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 2-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
*Joren, Legend, Alleged Egomaniac, Thread-Killer, 3-time Ban Recipient, and 6th Grade Spelling Champ*
2004-01-30, 10:46 AM #19
Look, Im not saying michael moore has alot of common sense (Far from it in fact) He just mentions starting up a common sense party in his book

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-30, 10:58 AM #20
The problem is, one person's common sense is another's idiocy.

------------------
All you need is love.
It's not the side effects of cocaine, so then I'm thinking that it must be love
2004-01-30, 12:06 PM #21
If the kid was born in Africa and moved to the US, then he is African-American. Just like Charlize Theron.

------------------
To artificial life, all reality is virtual.
2004-01-30, 12:27 PM #22
I should start a common sense club

------------------
Lat rocks my box with sox
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.

↑ Up to the top!