Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Help setting up Linux partitions!
Help setting up Linux partitions!
2004-01-30, 5:05 PM #1
I'm about to set up a slackware installation, but I need some help on my partitions. Here's what I have, in order of location on hard driver:

60 gig hd @ master
------------------
58GB NTFS - WindowsXP (primary)
2GB Linux Swap - Linux Swap (logical???)

80 gig hd @ slave
------------------
??GB Ext3 - /boot (Primary???)
??GB Ext3 - /root (and everything else not here?) (???)
??GB Ext3 - /Home (???)
??GB Ext3 - /usr (???)
??GB ReiserFS - /music (logical???)
1GB NTFS - Windows Swap (logical???)
15MB FAT16 - 3rd party boot loader (logical)
------------------

Can anyone please help me fill in the blanks here? I have no idea if this is a good plan, what the size of each partition is, and especially, I have no idea which ones should be logical and which ones should be primary.

Any help would be very appriciated! Please feel free to copy and edit what I wrote to fill in the blanks!

------------------
Mystic0 Editing Resources (no longer Updated)
Mystic0 Forum (fast again!)
The Massassi Post Count Summary
2004-01-30, 5:13 PM #2
Everything linux should be on one partition. Also have your linux swap on the same drive as linux.
59 GB with WinXP
1 GB Windows Swap
15 MB FAT32 for boot loader (I'd use LILO)

80 GB with Linux partition as
XX GB <-- Linux (/root, /boot, etc)
2 GB swap

------------------
<scribbly handwriting barely resembling name>
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2004-01-30, 5:21 PM #3
80GB hdb
------------------
40GB ReiserFS - / (Primary)
40GB ReiserFS - /home (Primary)

1) Windows swap files dont need to be on their own separate partition.

2) You can put a whole linux install in a single partition (save for the swap), but I prefer to keep the /home dir seperate. Preferably on a seperate drive altogether, but you lack the hard drive space for that.

3) Theres no reason to use ext3 for the system partion. You can use ReiserFS for everything.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-30, 6:07 PM #4
GBK- I heard ReiserFS is good for many small files. I don't know what ext3's strong points are. I also hear that you should have you swap drives on opposite hard drives.

Also, shouldn't I have a seperate partition for /usr in case I want to keep my apps in the event of a distro change?

------------------
2004-01-30, 6:16 PM #5
Hm, would you recommend ReiserFS or ext3? From what I've read their performance differs depending on the file size.

------------------
2004-01-30, 6:24 PM #6
Mystic, odds are, most of your apps wont work after a distro change. ANd besides, not all apps are located in /usr, some are in /opt.

ReiserFS is good for small files, yes, and there are definatly going to be a ton of small files in the various system dirs.

...But ReiserFS does take a bit of CPU power to run fast. Not much more than ext3, but a considerable amount more than ext2. If youve got an older system, or are more worried about performance than free space, use etx2.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-30, 6:39 PM #7
I'll go with ReiserFS as I have a Pentium 4 2.6 GHz 800 FSB and 1 GB PC-3200 400 MHz DDR.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mystic0 (edited January 30, 2004).]

↑ Up to the top!