Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Is there any way of getting VHS onto a PC or CD?
Is there any way of getting VHS onto a PC or CD?
2004-01-29, 1:35 AM #1
They're all saying good old VHSs aren't dead yet but with the rise of DVD recorders I'm willing to bet it won't be long - videos are becoming more and more rare in terms of new releases I think. Anyhow, I don't have access to a VCR in my room and its probable we won't have one altogether if things continue (who knows) - I basically wonder if there's any way (i.e. hardware) to record VHS onto PC in whatever format.

Any help would be appreciated - ta!

------------------
We are all dying to live, yet living to die...
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-01-29, 1:36 AM #2
Actually, yes. I have an article here in one of my latest Maximum PC magazine, and if I find it, I'll post it here...

------------------
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

[url="mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net"]mailto:Bruintone@netscape.net[/url]Bruintone@netscape.net</A>
Yahoo! Name : jedibruintone77
I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

My Canada includes Beavers.
2004-01-29, 1:46 AM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snake-Eyes:
Actually, yes. I have an article here in one of my latest Maximum PC magazine, and if I find it, I'll post it here...

</font>

Ah, such a helpful and efficient response as usual [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif] Thanks, I'll be waiting.

------------------

2004-01-29, 2:10 AM #4
Bugger. My solution would be to hook up a VCR player with a TV card. And record.

------------------
Yeah, but you know what? This one, this one right here, this was my dream, my wish, and it didn't come true. So I'm takin' it back. I'm takin' 'em all back.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-29, 2:22 AM #5
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=217466/mode=googlecp/ut=80975dab6380c71f

I've actually recorded VHS tapes onto my computer using that.

------------------
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
2004-01-29, 2:55 AM #6
I think what you are looking for is a video capture card.

------------------
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
Have Lightsaber Will Travel JK Editing tips, troubleshooting information, resources and more.
www.swgalaxies.net For all your Star Wars Galaxies needs
The Massassi A SW Galaxies Player Association
2004-01-29, 3:09 AM #7
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeC:
I think what you are looking for is a video capture card.

</font>

That is what, my friend?

------------------

2004-01-29, 3:22 AM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gee_4ce:
That is what, my friend?

</font>

A card that captures video. Duh! [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

(A peice of hardware [PCI card, I think] that you connect your VCR to [probably via AV or RFU plugs] and then use the software that comes with it to view/record from the VCR.)

------------------
"When all else fails, eat pie."
thoughts from beyond observance
2004-01-29, 4:24 AM #9
Yes, and you need a good one if you are going to do that. I've had a few (3) video capture thingies, and unless you want your movie in 160x120 resolution with unsynchronized sound, get a decent one. Iomega used to make 'Buz' which did this, but they stopped, and now somebody's making 'Dazzle,' which seems to be the most popular around. Don't get the crappy USB ones though, go for the ones with the PCI card you have to install. Also, if you don't have a DVD burner you can make a VCD or whatever, which can play in DVD players but have fairly low quality.

[edit - a-freakin-postrophe]

[This message has been edited by RingMaster481 (edited January 29, 2004).]
2004-01-29, 6:06 AM #10
there are also SVCD (Super-VCD) which are MPEG-2 and actually look pretty good... but some DVD players will only read certain types of CD-Rs (mine only reads VCDs i write to Sony CD-Rs)

of course you can also encode the video to DivX, XviD, etc and store it on your HDD or burn as a data disc.

------------------
i thought about this being the anti-sig... or the sig virus... or the sig of your nightmares... but i decided that some painful rhetoric might work instead...
just kidding. ;)
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2004-01-29, 6:25 AM #11
What type of video card do you currently own. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro All-In-Wonder and it could do this for you.

------------------
http://www.napalmdeathsquad.com
2004-01-29, 6:44 AM #12
Get a decent TV tuner card. AverMedia makes a good one. Theyll let you not only watch TV, but take *any* video signal in and record it.

If your on Windows, youll have to record it in either MPEG1 or MPEG2. You problably wont be able to encode into DivX or XviD in real time. I can, but my setup is a little different that yours...

Your gonna need *alot* of hard drive space if you plan on recording with any quality. On the order of 10 or 15 gigs. More if you want to keep the vidios while recording others.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-30, 3:15 PM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MentatMM:
What type of video card do you currently own. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro All-In-Wonder and it could do this for you.

</font>

GeForce 4 Ti4200 - yay.

------------------

2004-01-30, 3:23 PM #14
I have a Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe capture card....currently using it to record satellite TV and transfer all my old VHS tapes to DVD. I love it.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-01-30, 5:17 PM #15
i have a MSI tv@nywhere master, it is like the calalac of tv cards. i have captured so many things wit it, now all i need is a DVD burner, better save up...

------------------
DUU BistX0rz ein N00b!
DUU BistX0rz ein N00b!
2004-01-30, 7:16 PM #16
How much are these cards?

I have lots of old vhs tapes of movies that I taped off of Network TV. I want to put them on VCD before the tapes start deteriorating in the ensuing years.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.

↑ Up to the top!