Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Whale Explodes In Taiwan
Whale Explodes In Taiwan
2004-01-29, 10:14 AM #1
What a mess!

[http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20040129/mdf459693.jpg]
A 56-foot sperm whale's insides lie strewn about after its belly burst due to decomposition while being transported to the National Cheng Kung University in Tainan in southern Taiwan on January 26, 2004. The whale ran aground and died on a beach in the southwestern county of Yunlin on January 17. (Taiwan Apple daily via Reuters)

------------------
Kids must be shot by Monday.

Honesty tests for workers can't be trusted, report says.

Psychopaths are unpredictable.

Jay Leno's Headlines > Everything
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-01-29, 10:18 AM #2
Eew.

How did it happen?

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-01-29, 10:20 AM #3
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
How did it happen?
</font>

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">its belly burst due to decomposition</font>

------------------

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?
2004-01-29, 10:22 AM #4
But burst when decomposing? Strange.

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-----@%
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2004-01-29, 10:25 AM #5
Gas in it's stomach causing it to rupture maybe?

------------------
I have a signature.
I have a signature.
2004-01-29, 10:25 AM #6
Eeeewwwwww

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-29, 10:28 AM #7
Umm . . . . dinner? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/confused.gif] [http://forums.massassi.net/html/wink.gif]

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-29, 10:33 AM #8
i feel sorry if that's that guy's moped

------------------
<Genki> oh, where are you going, with beards all a waggin, no knowin no knowin what bring dear Mr. Baggins, and Balin, and Dwalin, here down in the vally Ah ha!
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2004-01-29, 10:39 AM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Echoman:
But burst when decomposing? Strange.

</font>

Not quite so strange as you might think. You'd be surprised at the pressure of the gasses that build up in the body during decomposition.

My mother (a funeral director) once had a man who was murdered and dumped in a lake with something like a 100-150lb. weight attached to his waist. The body apparently came to the surface a few days later with the weight STILL ATTACHED. All due to the gases that build up during decomposition.

A whale being several magnitudes larger than a person, I can see how this would happen...

------------------
I'll admit to Reactor CTF, Duel Abyss, Duel Turbulent, and even the CCCP, but not Sky High! (my first, be kind!) Ok so maybe I will.
http://www.jedilegacy.net/gonk/
2004-01-29, 10:39 AM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MadQuack:
Gas in it's stomach causing it to rupture maybe?

</font>

I read the article, MadQuack got it. Gas built up because of the decomosition (s?), and there was no where for it to go.. so.. Boom.

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2004-01-29, 10:45 AM #11
I don't see why it looks so nasty, just looks like lava drying. If you just ignore the whale in the back and saw that, I doubt most of you would think internal organs.

------------------
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2004-01-29, 11:11 AM #12
Wow, that's a real gasser!

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-01-29, 11:15 AM #13
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THRAWN:
I don't see why it looks so nasty, just looks like lava drying. If you just ignore the whale in the back and saw that, I doubt most of you would think internal organs.

</font>

I'm pretty sure the meat-red tubes would give it away.

------------------
"This hole is octogo. Ogiganeel. It's Octa.. It's got eight sides."
"We interrupt this program again, A. to annoy you, and B. to provide work for one of our announcers."
2004-01-29, 11:19 AM #14
Dinner is served.

------------------
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
thanks for the all your <3 are belong to somebody set up us the 1337 swank OWNED
</font>
2004-01-29, 11:20 AM #15
ieww

------------------
IMPORTANT NOTICE PLEASE READ

Employees dying on the job are faling to fall down. THIS PRACTICE MUST STOP as it becmes impossible to distinguish between death and the natural movement of he staf.

Any employee found dead in an upright position will be dropped from the payroll.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2004-01-29, 11:37 AM #16
There was a chicken farmer who for some reason or another had to bury a bunch of chickens because they had died. So he dug a big whole and buried them. A month or so later there was a massive explosion and chicken parts were strewn across the area. Turns out that the chickens had released alot of methane and stuff which ended up blowing up.

------------------
Lat rocks my box with sox
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2004-01-29, 11:40 AM #17
http://www.britenight.com/crazyvids/pages/whale11l1.html

More whale explosions

------------------
Happy "Diseased" dud: You said I'd be like this guy. Boycotting everything..
Happy "Diseased" dud: ted kazcnisky. That's who it was.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wait, That's the unibomer.
Happy "Diseased" dud: Wrong guy.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2004-01-29, 11:49 AM #18
[Foot in mouth]

[This message has been edited by Roach (edited January 29, 2004).]
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-01-29, 11:56 AM #19
.... where did he say anything about decompression?

Also, I'm not sure how much this would apply to a sperm whale, but underwater organisms (most notably the ones that live WAAY far down), are built to sustain the pressure of so much water around them. for example, take a bag of chips in an airplane with you, and you'll see how the bag expands the higher the plane goes. same thing would (I'm guessing), happen with fish. and (I'm still guessing here, so I could be wrong), while the whale may or may not explode from the gasses normally, keep in mind whales are built for an environment with a lot more pressure than up here above water. or something.
------------------
Moo.

[This message has been edited by A_Big_Fat_CoW (edited January 29, 2004).]
Moo.
2004-01-29, 12:01 PM #20
Aye. I misread that post. Nevermind.

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-01-29, 1:12 PM #21
Dude! That's quite possibly the coolest things i've seen all day [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-01-29, 1:54 PM #22
Can someone post a link to the article? I could understand water swallowed at depth expanding as the whale rose to the surface and the decomposing body couldn't hold it in anymore, but gases? Maybe a combination of both?

------------------
Roach - Steal acceptance, lend denial.

0 of 14.
omnia mea mecum porto
2004-01-29, 7:24 PM #23
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">A 45 ft. 8 ton dead whale washed on shore in Lain county, Oregon USA. The town decided to blow it up hoping that the small sea creatures would clean up the minute chunks left. Half a ton of Dynamite was used, but all didn't go according to plan. Huge chunks of whale start to fall into the crowd, as they run for their lives.</font>

Even from the grave, a whale gets revenge.

------------------
2004-01-29, 7:32 PM #24
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I could understand water swallowed at depth expanding as the whale rose to the surface and the decomposing body couldn't hold it in anymore, but gases?</font>

Liquid cannot be compressed. That's how most brake systems on cars work now-- hydraulic systems. Pressure on one end of the line puts pressure on the other end, squeezing the drum.
2004-01-29, 7:35 PM #25
that had to smell bad...

------------------
wang is within all
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2004-01-29, 7:49 PM #26
I don't buy it, it's too far-fetched.

I'm suspecting some sort of prankster messing with explosives or the like. At least you can explain how it happened that way.

"OoohoooooohooOOoooh... the mysterious gases that no one can explain abything about suddenly, for no reason whatsoever, decided to expand, but they were trapped! Err.. yeah! Trapped! That's it! And it just exploded! Just because!"

------------------
Have a good one,
Freelancer
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2004-01-30, 7:26 AM #27
Eeew thats nasty....
2004-01-30, 7:29 AM #28
[http://forums.massassi.net/html/eek.gif]

------------------
Fragment Thoughts consume my vision.

[This message has been edited by fragment (edited January 30, 2004).]
No-one knows what it's like to be the bad man,
to be the sad man Behind Blue Eyes.

- The Who
2004-01-30, 7:35 AM #29
No more spicy buritos for him!!!

hahahaI'm like really funny gather round girls...
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2004-01-30, 7:51 AM #30
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by A_Big_Fat_CoW:
.... where did he say anything about decompression?

Also, I'm not sure how much this would apply to a sperm whale, but underwater organisms (most notably the ones that live WAAY far down), are built to sustain the pressure of so much water around them. for example, take a bag of chips in an airplane with you, and you'll see how the bag expands the higher the plane goes. same thing would (I'm guessing), happen with fish. and (I'm still guessing here, so I could be wrong), while the whale may or may not explode from the gasses normally, keep in mind whales are built for an environment with a lot more pressure than up here above water. or something.
</font>

I can remember my science teacher telling me at one point that those freaky looking uber-deep fish could possibly explode if brought to the surface.

------------------
Drugs & Stupidity, Tons of it.
2004-01-30, 9:48 AM #31
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jedigreedo:
Even from the grave, a whale gets revenge.

</font>

ROFL!!!

------------------

2004-01-30, 9:59 AM #32
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Freelancer:
"OoohoooooohooOOoooh... the mysterious gases that no one can explain abything about suddenly, for no reason whatsoever, decided to expand, but they were trapped! Err.. yeah! Trapped! That's it! And it just exploded! Just because!"</font>

Gas is produced through decomposition. More precisely, methane gas. Decomposition provides the world with the methane in the air, as I learnt in Geography. As the decomposition takes place, the gas fills the stomach and increases the pressure, until it ruptures and does a ballon-with-gunk-in. Splart.

------------------
The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
-- Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, The Father of Rocketry
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-30, 10:02 AM #33
Why didn't they just drill a couple holes through the beast and probably avoid this..?

------------------
I felt like destroying something beautiful.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2004-01-30, 10:17 AM #34
Either they didn't think of it, or they wanted to see what would happen and pretend like they didn't know what was going on.... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/tongue.gif]

------------------

2004-01-30, 10:25 AM #35
As is witnessed in the picture, sperm whales get their name from the force with which they ejaculate.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.rot13.com" TARGET=_blank>Wnav "Xebxb" Ghbzvara
w_ghbzvara@yhhxxh.pbz</A>
Looks like we're not going down after all, so nevermind.
2004-01-30, 10:58 AM #36
lol, can you imagine seeing a truck driving downtown with a giant whale strapped to it?

------------------
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
2004-01-30, 11:19 AM #37
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'm suspecting some sort of prankster messing with explosives or the like. At least you can explain how it happened that way</font>

Isn't that a bit far fetched too?

------------------
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity."

-Albert Einstein
2004-01-30, 6:27 PM #38
I wonder how loud it is.

It can't be a subtle little pop, it has got to be loud.

I think I need to see a whale explode from natural causes before I die. Then I will be truly happy.

------------------
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.
-Steven Wright
I went to a restaurant that serves "breakfast at any time". So I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.
-Steven Wright
2004-01-30, 6:31 PM #39
I want a video clip...

------------------
"The Oracle told me I would die with my boots on. I've worn tennis shoes ever since." - Axis
2004-01-30, 7:27 PM #40
if that whale was full of methane, just be glad that no one was lighting a cigarette when it blew.

------------------
Most people regard me as the dark and immoral side of Massassi. At least I'm getting what I want out of life.

↑ Up to the top!