Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → The best phreaker? Blind as a bat.
The best phreaker? Blind as a bat.
2004-01-31, 8:10 AM #1
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.02/phreaks_pr.html

Discuss...

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-31, 8:21 AM #2
How can they do that??? Most actions on a computer require you to look at a screen, doesn't it?
2004-01-31, 8:33 AM #3
no.

It's not that hard to find equipment that allows a blind person to use computers. Sure they might struggle with something purely visual like videogames, but phreaking is centred around text and sound input and output and knowing what to do.

A good portion of the W3C standards are dedicated to making sure that blind people are able to read your page as easily as a fully-sighted person.

[This message has been edited by DeTRiTiC-iQ (edited January 31, 2004).]
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2004-01-31, 8:56 AM #4
Fascinating. The whole mathematically re-ordered language bit is quite intriguing personally, i've dabbled in similar ideas. Especially given that it was Hebrew ? that they were speaking, all the letters already have innate mathematical values so it'd be a lot simpler probably than english; i mean just look at the kabalists and such..

------------------
[Blue Mink Bifocals !] [fsck -Rf /world/usr/] [<!-- kalimonster -->] [Capite Terram]
"You'll have to face it, the endings are the same however you slice it. Don't be deluded by any other endings, they're all fake, with malicious intent to deceive, or just motivated by excessive optimism if not by downright sentimentality. The only authentic ending is the one provided here: John and Mary die. John and Mary die. John and Mary die." -Happy Endings [Margeret Atwood]
NPC.Interact::PressButton($'Submit');

[This message has been edited by Dormouse (edited January 31, 2004).]
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2004-01-31, 10:40 AM #5
Well, when they get arrested for phreaking they'll never see it coming.

------------------
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.
2004-01-31, 10:59 AM #6
*BA-DUM-CHING*
2004-01-31, 11:41 AM #7
How are they the best if they got caught?

------------------
Of war, we don't speak anymore
2004-01-31, 12:02 PM #8
Wow

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-31, 12:25 PM #9
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Molgrew:
How are they the best if they got caught?</font>

Even the best get cocky. The cocky get caught.

------------------
The future is here, and all bets are off.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2004-01-31, 2:28 PM #10
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Molgrew:
How are they the best if they got caught?

</font>

They got cocky. He (ringleader) even said in the article that was his downfall. He believed that several of his lines were secure, when they were not.

I love the quote: "When they dial, they use the middle finger."

------------------
MadQuack on Military school: Pro's: I get to shoot a gun. Con's: Everything else.
"I'm going to beat you until the laws of physics are violated!!" ! Maeve's Warcry

RIP -MaDaVentor-. You will be missed.
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!

↑ Up to the top!