Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Guess what I got in my Email
Guess what I got in my Email
2004-01-29, 12:08 PM #1
I know there is already a thread on the new virus/worm, but this is sort of on a different topic.

A message from GhostOfYoda@massassi.net...with one of those rotten virus attachments! Now, I'd assume that GoY would not do something like that, but this is completely unexpected. If these viruses/worms hide their origin addresses, what are the odds that someone I know would be the scapegoat? Anyone else gotten these emails "from" the address of someone you know, or want to comment on this? I think this whole thing is BS.

------------------
I am Darth Slaw.
The Dark Lord of the Sith,
And part of the Nightfire mod team
May the mass times acceleration be with you.
2004-01-29, 12:10 PM #2
*sigh*

We've talked to GoY about this before. I guess this means he's longer a moderator. [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

------------------
"LC Tusken: the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot"
NMGOH || Jack Chick preaches it || The Link of the Dead
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2004-01-29, 12:10 PM #3
^^ poor GoY [http://forums.massassi.net/html/frown.gif]

These viruses look through the address book of the victim and send themselves to everyone in the book. It is in no way purposefully sent to you.

------------------
1 of 14 | 6-16 Never Forget. | Click.

[This message has been edited by lateralus (edited January 29, 2004).]
2004-01-29, 12:10 PM #4
wow it seems everybody has this thing now thx for the info ill watch out for his emails.

------------------
janitor bobs idea of rogers video: He's actually the overweight guy next door who has a HUGE selection of videos, including the entire Lethal Weapon, Halloween, and 'Ernest' series.
The advantage is is that you can 'borrow' movies for long amounts of time without him remembering that you borrowed them.

The disadvantage is the pizza cheese grime on the DVDs
2004-01-29, 12:12 PM #5
What? My forum mod status stripped away from me? Nooooooo!

I aint sent no one no virus.

On a more serious note, whilst I have not intentionally sent anyone a virus, I am running my AV program just to be sure. I'm quite positive that it wasn't me, though!

------------------
GhostOfYoda - General doer of stuff.

[This message has been edited by GhostOfYoda (edited January 29, 2004).]
Massassi's Official Chatroom: irc.synirc.com #massassi
2004-01-29, 12:13 PM #6
I took another look, and I got an email from eikelegien@t-online.de, possibly the same Eike Legien who submitted the Daeth Star level for JK a long time ago. Again, this whole virus thing is capital S-T-U-P-I-D!

------------------
I am Darth Slaw.

[This message has been edited by Darth Slaw (edited January 29, 2004).]
2004-01-29, 12:14 PM #7
No doubt a virus that scans people's internet caches and rips out any email addresses. Even having your email address buried in code for a forum can lead to you getting one.

It's worse when you run a website....when I was working at JK2.net I got several hundred viruses a day. Heh, it's why I quit.

------------------
Cantina Cloud | BCF | The Massassian 1 & 2 | Gonkmeg
Corrupting the kiddies since '97
2004-01-29, 12:38 PM #8
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaiph:
No doubt a virus that scans people's internet caches and rips out any email addresses. Even having your email address buried in code for a forum can lead to you getting one.

It's worse when you run a website....when I was working at JK2.net I got several hundred viruses a day. Heh, it's why I quit.

</font>

Yup.

------------------
"The future is not determined by a throw of the dice, but is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
I am addicted to ellipses!!! AHHH!!! ...
2004-01-29, 3:22 PM #9
I don't know why I didn't think of posting info on the virus before, but for anyone interested on how it works, what it does, etc, click here.

------------------
I am Darth Slaw.
2004-01-30, 1:38 AM #10
I got a virus from GoY. Silly me... I opened it, saw blank body, opened the attachment, and BANG!!! All files I've used were KLEZed!!! But all is fine now... I know what to look for... Anything that looks interesting, and I'll open the mail in a browser that doesn't support HTMLs, and view the program as text. If I see the words Klez or Kern, I'll pulverise it!!!

Oh, and I have myself a disected virus on my computer. It is the "Hi" virus. The one that contains "Test =)"[%RAND%][%RAND%]"Test, yep" and a program. Found an IP! 151.201.0.39
and places it looks for:
@hotmail.com @msn.com @microsoft @avp

and places:

And so on... I tried the address, but not found. Tried the IP, request timed out.

Want me to post the whole thing?

/Edward.
Edward's Cognative Hazards
2004-01-30, 2:21 AM #11
I've got five already, each with either a zip, bat, or exe file attached. They're not from people I know, though...

------------------
Space Colony Inc. Phoenix Suburban City Dereliction
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2004-01-30, 5:43 AM #12
I only get e-mail on my Hotmail account and even then most of it's pr0n spam, so 95% gets deleted. And the other 5%? Most probably deleted too.

------------------
Yeah, but you know what? This one, this one right here, this was my dream, my wish, and it didn't come true. So I'm takin' it back. I'm takin' 'em all back.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2004-01-30, 6:09 AM #13
Probably MyDoom virus

------------------
2004-01-30, 11:02 AM #14
Good Jeez!!! Ok, this one takes the cake!

Guess whose email it was today?

C'mon, guess!

madaventor@aol.com

If I ever get a hold of those virus-writing SoB's, I'll literally kick them to high heaven!
(If anyone here writes viruses, you'll be spared...this time)

------------------
I am Darth Slaw,
AND I AM MAD!!! I HATE VIRUSES GARDANGIT!!!

[This message has been edited by Darth Slaw (edited January 30, 2004).]
2004-01-30, 11:06 AM #15
What the.. Adam's adress? Okay, that does it. Bring out the pitchforks and torches.

------------------
Map-Review | Digital Core | The Matrix: Unplugged

Farewell, MaDaVentor. In our hearts, you'll always live on.
2004-01-30, 11:08 AM #16
I second the motion! I got a pitchfork right in the garage.

------------------
I am Darth Slaw.

[This message has been edited by Darth Slaw (edited January 30, 2004).]
2004-01-30, 11:14 AM #17
I got two mattocks here..cept one of the heads looks like its about to come off. So whoever has that mattock can use it as a single shot triple kill missile weapon.

The plus side is you get a wooden bat aftwards.

------------------
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Ab Hoc Possum Videre Domum Tuum
(I can see your house from up here)
"But he's not going to carry you three" said Death.
"Why not?"
"It's a matter of the look of the thing"
"It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it" said War testily, "the One Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse"

"I am the signature virus! Copy me into your signature so that I can take over the world! Moohahahee!"
Founder of the Massassi Brute Squad (MBS)
Morituri Nolumus Mori
2004-01-30, 12:38 PM #18
I'll get my friend's gun box!
2004-01-30, 12:46 PM #19
I know the feeling - I'm starting to get the impression someone close to me is hacking the bejeezus out of my system - they sure did a good job once and for all last week. You'd think breaking Windows systematically from the inside out would be hard, yes? Well no, this one managed it all - MCC, Device Manager, Control Panel, you name it...

What's worse is if I now don't use Windows ICF I get that RPC error within moments - I've already checked for Welchia worm and don't have it, so I'm starting to get really, really paranoid that someone knows how to get in - after all, folders started popping up last time on my HDD, and the problems only got worse when I started using MSN... so could it be one of my contacts? I thankfully backed up all my work... but I (and this is truth, not boasting) as one of the more top students in my year group have a lot of stuff people would kill to get their hands on, either to send me down or themselves up.

What freaks me is that in the two years I've had my PC I've never had any such problems - it's only been really recently that it's all been going on... if it is someone I know and I ever find them out, death is on the cards, no matter how much a controlled man I am...

Any opinions on that would be nice, but back to the point - I know what it's like to get virus' from friends - my girlfriend sent one to a friend. It was her fault though, she said 'You can program, how do you write a virus?' So my girl just cooked up a harmless (but annoying) bit of code that created a totally undeletable folder - sometimes that woman scares me... and know, before you ask, it couldn't be her.

Anyways, rant over... [http://forums.massassi.net/html/biggrin.gif]

------------------
We are all dying to live, yet living to die...
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-01-30, 12:49 PM #20
Well... I just updated my virus definitions and ran a check... rien... nothing! Weird, eh?

------------------
2004-01-30, 1:04 PM #21
Why dont you guys check the email headers for the IP addresses and find out where they are really coming from.

Also, remember when Buck had a virus and he was spamming anyone and everyone who had ever submitted a level to massassi with it? [http://forums.massassi.net/html/smile.gif]

------------------
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)
-------------@%

DSettahr's Homepage
2004-01-30, 1:07 PM #22
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GhostOfYoda:
Well... I just updated my virus definitions and ran a check... rien... nothing! Weird, eh?

</font>

Not really, These viruses seem to be gathering e-mails from websites and using them as the 'from' or 'to' fields in spam emails. The chances that it came from your computer (Or email account) are very slim.

------------------
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUT!!!
---@%
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2004-01-30, 1:24 PM #23
WARNING! I MAY HAVE A VIRUS ON MY COMPUTER!!! I just got a returned mail saying that the user I sent to with the subject 'hello' was unknown. Therefore, if you get a 'Hi' or 'Hello' or 'test' from me, DELETE IT! Unless I say '[No Virus!]'.
2004-01-30, 2:18 PM #24
Kinda funny, one guy from the site I work with seems to have got infected. I got an email with my address from that site, but I can't send email from that address so it's even more funny. Well to me anyways..

------------------
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2004-01-30, 2:24 PM #25
We need a squad (ok, the MBS will do) to find out where these filthy little criminals are based and start hacking away at things important to them (and I mean that physically, not electronically.)

------------------
We are all dying to live, yet living to die...
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2004-01-31, 7:16 AM #26
Now I'm getting more returned mails than anything. One of them was from a spanish area! This, I'm sure is not as surprising to some ppl, but I don't know any Spanish ppl, nor have I sent anything to a spanish address!

-------------------------
The Massassi Mob:
n. an elite squad here to wipe out all traces of viruses; armed with pitchforks, torches, and baseball bats; extremely hazardous to your well-being if you write viruses and/or worms.
WARNING--may cause severe damage to virus writers' harddrives and pc's.
2004-01-31, 10:39 PM #27
I get about 10 emails a day about ppl saying how fast i can abolish my debt. I dont get it. Im not in debt. I want them to leave me alone.

------------------
Nightfire Mod
Spoting an error in post will result in a $100 reward.
Offer expires on 6/6/06. Valid one per customer, per day.

Rangi
2004-01-31, 10:47 PM #28
That's called spam. You just need some filters

------------------
I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.
Pissed Off?
2004-01-31, 10:49 PM #29
I like MailWasher... it's quite a good program for viewing, and deleting items in your inbox with out downloading all of the message to your HD.

------------------
2004-02-01, 12:57 AM #30
I've got Pegasus. Just shows me the headers. If I'm curious, I open Opera and go to my Squirrel mail and look at the stuff as text.

Oh, and I seem to have had I-Worm/Sober.C on my computer. Found it through AVG free adition 6.0.
Removed by Healing.

/Edward

↑ Up to the top!